Pete Prisco: The Smart Half, and the DUMB Half (Power Rankings)
23 replies
Ok, first, not to beat up on Prisco too bad. I think he has the Dolphins in the appropriate spot to start the season at #30. He's acknowledging they won't be the worst team in the league despite having last year's worst record. Now onto his blurb of explanation -
They will not be an easy out for any team on any Sunday. They will be a feisty bunch. I still think Chad Henne should be the starter, but Chad Pennington will be serviceable.
Could not agree more with the first two sentences. Then we get to the third sentence. Really Pete? Chad Henne should start? Let's forget the fact that Chad Pennington played better in the preseason and is an 8 year veteran. How about the fact that Miami needs to develop a young QB right for once? Remember how you were screaming in your Power Rankings last year about how it was time for John Beck to start? How did that end up working out?
Let's hope when Prisco starts screaming for Chad Henne this year should we suffer a few losses that the Dolphin's brass ignores him. Not to insinuate that any coach, GM or FO actually pays any attention to this wind bag.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's a pet peeve of mine when folks in the sports media write these little blurbs that they take all of 10 seconds to think about before sending them to print.
Yeah, we are going to be a scary team to anyone who see that they play the PHINS and look ahead to the next week. We will be very competitive and will catch teams by surprise.
Eternal Optimist. I thank God for the good things in my life. My wife, My Family, and the Miami Dolphins:up:


after week 5 when we are 3 and 2 they wont take us for granted much..
"MonstBlitz wrote:
Ok, first, not to beat up on Prisco too bad. I think he has the Dolphins in the appropriate spot to start the season at #30. He's acknowledging they won't be the worst team in the league despite having last year's worst record. Now onto his blurb of explanation -
Could not agree more with the first two sentences. Then we get to the third sentence. Really Pete? Chad Henne should start? Let's forget the fact that Chad Pennington played better in the preseason and is an 8 year veteran. How about the fact that Miami needs to develop a young QB right for once? Remember how you were screaming in your Power Rankings last year about how it was time for John Beck to start? How did that end up working out?
Let's hope when Prisco starts screaming for Chad Henne this year should we suffer a few losses that the Dolphin's brass ignores him. Not to insinuate that any coach, GM or FO actually pays any attention to this wind bag.
Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's a pet peeve of mine when folks in the sports media write these little blurbs that they take all of 10 seconds to think about before sending them to print.
:lol:
That's all you get out of the media these days........ seriously it's just garbage what they put out and you can tell that these guys have no clue about sports firsthand.
Chad Henne in all his limited experience of 1 preseason should be given the reigns over a very experienced and proven NFL QB. It's just laughable.
Not that Pennington dosen't have his weak points but Pennington has shown that he can be a successful starter hands down. Rare is the rookie QB that starts immediately and has success.
Any number of posters on this site can do a better job at "sports journalism" than almost any of the hacks out there right now.
RIP Jetssuck
Winning is the only way out of the basement.
So Favre makes this a playoff team? Not quite. That's what most would think, but I see 8-8. They will regret the Favre trade in a year. You watch.:lol:
Jet fans will be kicking and screaming!!:lol:
I have no problem with our rankings...we still need to prove we are better. respect will come!!

Thanks Gish
I can see the Jets going either way. I can see them winning 11 or 12 games and I can see them winning 5 or 6...so we'll see.
No way should Henne start. Sit tight and learn...09 will be here before you know it.
I think we are going to be better on the lines, which will make us competitive. It may or may not translate to wins.
I think right now, I would say we are going to be better than Atlanta, KC, and Baltimore... I don't know if Chicago is going to be very good, either.
But, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether we win 4 games or 6 games or 8 games.
We are still playmakers on offense and I still think we need a lockdown corner and a big time ILB on defense before we are a playoff team.
So if we are 30th or 26th or 24th....I am not concerned.
"It is the mark of the educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it". Aristotle
When preparation meets opportunity, the chances for success are greatly enhanced. Chad Pennington was the ideal choice for what this team needs from a QB at this point in its history. We are being built to be a power running team that will control time of possession and convert on third downs, ever moving us closer to the red zone. We may attempt more field goals than we want to see early on in the season until the line solidifies. If and when it does,(barring injuries across the board) Chad will pick defenses apart using his experience, smarts and accuracy. R&R, will deliver the one two punch we have all been waiting on since the glory days. He (CP) went through a process much the same as John Beck during the off season to build arm strength. It has been commented on this site and others that he did indeed improve in that department showing a little more zip on the ball. There are still a lot of IFs regarding how our WRs will develop, but Ted Ginn seems to be coming along nicely. I think he will produce in a way we haven't seen in years, as far a breaking a few for long gains. We don't have depth on either side of the ball yet, so that will hurt us. Defense is the BIG question mark to me. Age on key players, Joey Porter coming in banged up, players learning new positions and inexperience will hurt us IMO. The nucleus for a very good team is in place. With a little luck in the injury department and total team "smarts" limiting penalties and fulfilling individual assignments we will surprise and win more games than most of the pundits give us credit for. "IF"!
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
"gunn34 wrote:
I can't wait till Sunday.
In the meantime, if you want a good laugh.. head over to theganggreen.com and view the thread titled "Screw the Dolphins".
Absolutely hilarious stuff. IF they lose on Sunday, I can't wait to see the reaction.
Good outlook Mole. The key for us to be successfull is limiting the injury bug from biting. We have a "pretty good" starting core on this team. I think the talent drops off significantly when the back-ups are forced to play. IF we stay healthy, IMO, we can play with any team in the NFL, be competitive, keep it close, and pull out the wins.
Eternal Optimist. I thank God for the good things in my life. My wife, My Family, and the Miami Dolphins:up:


"FaninPatsyLand wrote:
In the meantime, if you want a good laugh.. head over to theganggreen.com and view the thread titled "Screw the Dolphins".
Absolutely hilarious stuff. IF they lose on Sunday, I can't wait to see the reaction.
Read the thread. One, they should really get a profanity filter on that site. Not that I am against passionate fans, but, really, kids probably go there and should not be reading that stuff and I wish people could express and opinion/thought without using that kind of language, shows a serious lack of intelligence IMO. Two, they are really going to be screwed when they lose Sunday. Can't wait to go back and read thier crying and moaning. Not worth my time to register and respond but man it will be so great when they are 0-2 going into week three.
Eternal Optimist. I thank God for the good things in my life. My wife, My Family, and the Miami Dolphins:up:


"mullingan wrote:
Good outlook Mole. The key for us to be successfull is limiting the injury bug from biting. We have a "pretty good" starting core on this team. I think the talent drops off significantly when the back-ups are forced to play. IF we stay healthy, IMO, we can play with any team in the NFL, be competitive, keep it close, and pull out the wins.
I like yours too, mullingan. Especially your sig!:up:
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
"mullingan wrote:
Read the thread. One, they should really get a profanity filter on that site. Not that I am against passionate fans, but, really, kids probably go there and should not be reading that stuff and I wish people could express and opinion/thought without using that kind of language, shows a serious lack of intelligence IMO. Two, they are really going to be screwed when they lose Sunday. Can't wait to go back and read thier crying and moaning. Not worth my time to register and respond but man it will be so great when they are 0-2 going into week three.
Completely agree with everything you wrote.
If they lose on Sunday, there is no question they'll be 0-3 come week 4. They're not beating NE and they're definitely not traveling cross country and beating SD in SD.
"FaninPatsyLand wrote:
In the meantime, if you want a good laugh.. head over to theganggreen.com and view the thread titled "Screw the Dolphins".
Absolutely hilarious stuff. IF they lose on Sunday, I can't wait to see the reaction.
I read that thread last night...made me even more pumped up for Sunday, can't wait!
"Rocky Raccoon wrote:
I can see the Jets going either way. I can see them winning 11 or 12 games and I can see them winning 5 or 6...so we'll see.
Agreed. It is a lot of chemistry and players to come together in a month or two.
I think the key is not getting off to a bad start and digging a whole we have to get out of. If we can go 2-2 into the bye, split with the Pats and win our home games, we should be fine.
I predicted 11-5 but that is my 9-7 with a splash of Favre.
BZ
I went over there and read the thread. Man, those people are vicious. I thought some on here were pretty hard on others, but they take the cake.
I'm glad we have a good site with good mods, posters etc. I couldn't take much of the junk they throw around.
Now, excuse me, I have to sterilize my keyboard and screen to get the green stuff off. LOL

"Dorfdad wrote:
after week 5 when we are 3 and 2 they wont take us for granted much..
I honestly believe we could be 3-1 by the end of week 5.

I would no be shocked if the KC Chiefs beat the Patriots in Game One of the season. The Pats have looked horrible, and if Brady is still injured there is no way they are the going to be the top ranked team.
Like Prisco or not, can any of us really say he's wrong about where we are ranked ?? All these power rankings, at this time of year, are based off of last years' records. And during the year they're based off of the last game. Do any of us expect a playoff run ?? It would be nice...I'll be the first to admit, but we've marginally increased the critical offensive players and probably taken a step backwards on the D (at least the front 7). Our best offensive players (Brown and Williams) have questions going into the season. We can expect some improvement, but with the infusion of youth, we can also expect some digression in areas thruout the season. I think we'll be competitive but still lose some games we shouldn't and win some we shouldn't.
As to Pennington over Henne, that's because of Pennington's history in NY...We can only hope that he does with us that he's done with the Jests when healthy...
"Roman529 wrote:
I would no be shocked if the KC Chiefs beat the Patriots in Game One of the season. The Pats have looked horrible, and if Brady is still injured there is no way they are the going to be the top ranked team.
Talk about bursting the bubble...that would be priceless. I can see it now...
Tailgate party: $100
Tickets to KC vs Pats : $250
Hotel room: $450
Transportation to/from game: $1000
Seeing the 'quest for perfect season' go down the drain in week one: Priceless...
Maybe Aqua4Ever04 wasn't so far off on his thread last night:up:
http://forums.thephins.com/miami-dolphins-discussion/15564-commentary-2008-afc-east-preview.html

Thanks Gish
How in the heck can he put the RAMS at 18 (who had the 2nd overall pick) yet the Dolphins at 30? He even has the niners over us.. ugh.
