PS4 unveiling Feb 20th
307 replies
I honestly think it's a little of all 3.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
Could be. Though they might be gambling that Johnny Generic is more interested in getting to Facebook faster than he is in ultra large resolution textures.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
Could be. Though they might be gambling that Johnny Generic is more interested in getting to Facebook faster than he is in ultra large resolution textures.
I'd be surprised if it was that high at release date, or soon thereafter.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
If they sacrifice ram so facebook can be constantly on in the background well then that just sucks. I dont like the direction this is heading.
🎃
"jdallen1222 wrote:
If they sacrifice ram so facebook can be constantly on in the background well then that just sucks. I dont like the direction this is heading.
Will you be able to customize it and save some RAM? I don't have facebook.....or is it something you have to have running in the background?
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"finyank13 wrote:
Will you be able to customize it and save some RAM? I don't have facebook.....or is it something you have to have running in the background?
I don't know. Im just basing that off of other comments I read in here, maybe I should do some fact checking before I react.
🎃
"jdallen1222 wrote:
I don't know. Im just basing that off of other comments I read in here, maybe I should do some fact checking before I react.
No it is a pretty good point, it is an interesting thing you bring up...
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"Desides wrote:
So, right now, the PS4 OS takes up... nearly half of available system RAM.
This is pretty extreme. Nearly half of the system's memory is taken up by stuff running in the background. Either memory optimizations haven't happened yet (since the system software is still in development, too), or there's a LOT going on in the background. Or, a third option, Sony isn't very good at software--which is true, and is Microsoft's big advantage.
Considering the difference in the two consoles from RAM usage by the OS is a mere 500MB out of 8GB total memory, I think that is a minimal difference at most. This coming generation simply uses more background memory than in the past.
"Phinz420 wrote:
Considering the difference in the two consoles from RAM usage by the OS is a mere 500MB out of 8GB total memory, I think that is a minimal difference at most. This coming generation simply uses more background memory than in the past.
45% of system memory dedicated to background processes is insane. This is not a case of "simply using more background memory than in the past." This is a massive escalation.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
45% of system memory dedicated to background processes is insane. This is not a case of "simply using more background memory than in the past." This is a massive escalation.
One that they are focusing on even though they aren't necessarily saying it, it seems...
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"Desides wrote:
45% of system memory dedicated to background processes is insane. This is not a case of "simply using more background memory than in the past." This is a massive escalation.
It is a huge escalation, but the point of the post was to say it wasn't just Sony with the issue here about OS RAM usage. Both of them are using 3GB+ RAM in the background processing.
Could it be related to making these consoles more scaled towards "entertainment machines" and less focus on pure gaming? It has always been said that the reasoning for low RAM usage in previous consoles was due to the simplicity, being designed just to play game software.
"Phinz420 wrote:
It is a huge escalation, but the point of the post was to say it wasn't just Sony with the issue here about OS RAM usage. Both of them are using 3GB+ RAM in the background processing.
Could it be related to making these consoles more scaled towards "entertainment machines" and less focus on pure gaming? It has always been said that the reasoning for low RAM usage in previous consoles was due to the simplicity, being designed just to play game software.
The previous generation had low RAM usage because they had low total amounts of RAM. Remember, the 360 and PS3 are eight years old—nine going on ten if we're counting the time their development projects began.
An effective RAM total of ~4 GB detracts from the consoles' technical appeals, particularly since they've both intentionally skimped on the CPU side.
Let's hope this is just the current overhead because the system software is still in development. I can even accept lower amounts of total available system RAM for the first year or two, since those games are going to be cross-gen with the PS3 and 360. But by the time we hit late 2014, if the OS is still sucking up 3.5 GB, that's going to be an issue.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
Is it too late to recommend to Sony multiple hdmi outputs, so people with more than one TV can have multiple screens/views, not have to use split screen if using two players? Also give the option of changing the screen layout, so a TV or monitor can be turned on it's side.
🎃
"jdallen1222 wrote:
Is it too late to recommend to Sony multiple hdmi outputs, so people with more than one TV can have multiple screens/views, not have to use split screen if using two players? Also give the option of changing the screen layout, so a TV or monitor can be turned on it's side.
Yes. This is a niche case. Use an HDMI splitter box.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
"Desides wrote:
Yes. This is a niche case. Use an HDMI splitter box.
Would that give additional viewing angles, or just duplicate the original output signal?
🎃
"jdallen1222 wrote:
Would that give additional viewing angles, or just duplicate the original output signal?
Duplicates the original output signal.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
So I guess Toys R Us (I think) in Europe (or at least the UK) has the ps4 coming out on Dec 13th and Xbox One as Nov. 29th.
I am not sure if either system is having a worldwide release, but I'd hate for the ps4 to come out so late here.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
"Desides wrote:
Duplicates the original output signal.
I just may venture in PC gaming then, we'll see.
🎃
"Stitches wrote:
So I guess Toys R Us (I think) in Europe (or at least the UK) has the ps4 coming out on Dec 13th and Xbox One as Nov. 29th.
I am not sure if either system is having a worldwide release, but I'd hate for the ps4 to come out so late here.
I had heard 11/13/13 but that was a few ago....there is a event later this month where it is rumored the date to be released....
dude as long as it is here by March of next year, so The Show is out!!
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"Stitches wrote:
So I guess Toys R Us (I think) in Europe (or at least the UK) has the ps4 coming out on Dec 13th and Xbox One as Nov. 29th.
I am not sure if either system is having a worldwide release, but I'd hate for the ps4 to come out so late here.
Also Pete doesn't overseas usually release after the US? Like in general with electronics?
I think the iPhone 5 was available overseas after us...if I am mistaken....
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"finyank13 wrote:
Also Pete doesn't overseas usually release after the US? Like in general with electronics?
I think the iPhone 5 was available overseas after us...if I am mistaken....
North America tends to get new consoles before Europe, but not always.
I wouldn't interpret the purported European dates as being in any way relevant to the NA release dates. I'd be a little surprised if both consoles weren't out before Thanksgiving here.
"Not you." — Tywin Lannister
Yes, we usually get consoles before Europe, but sometimes there are worldwide releases on the same date.
It's all moot anyways because TRU apologized to both Sony and MS (likely at their request) for releasing those dates, as both appear to be wrong.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
"Stitches wrote:
Yes, we usually get consoles before Europe, but sometimes there are worldwide releases on the same date.
It's all moot anyways because TRU apologized to both Sony and MS (likely at their request) for releasing those dates, as both appear to be wrong.
I got a email notification from Gamestop about how there is an event at the Sands in Vegas where the public will be able to play both the PS4 and Xbox1
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"finyank13 wrote:
I got a email notification from Gamestop about how there is an event at the Sands in Vegas where the public will be able to play both the PS4 and Xbox1
Aren't you a little old for video games.
BTW does anyone know if Madden is reinstating Franchise Mode?
They never got rid of it, did they?
