Saints vrs Dolphins matchup..news, injuries, etc..

81 replies

Phins_Fan_87Phins_Fan_87Supporter
Sep 25, 2013, 07:24 PM

we will need to win the turnover battle to win this game imo

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2013, 09:08 PM

"firedan wrote:

I'm more concerned with Jimmy Graham than the Taints wide out s this week,that dude is a beast.

He's my concern as well along with Brees. I'm with those that rate Colston behind Jones, White and Wayne. I'm also worried about how effective their backs are out of the backfield.

Sep 25, 2013, 09:45 PM

Some of you may not think Colston is anything special but if he is on Caroll's side of the field than Caroll wlll lose badly.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2013, 09:48 PM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

Some of you may not think Colston is anything special but if he is on Caroll's side of the field than Caroll wlll lose badly.

That's a tough matchup for us. Although I'd feel pretty confident with Grimes on him. IMO Colston has some specific strengths, but is nowhere near the best WR we've faced this year.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Sep 25, 2013, 09:51 PM

"rafael wrote:

He's my concern as well along with Brees. I'm with those that rate Colston behind Jones, White and Wayne. I'm also worried about how effective their backs are out of the backfield.

Which does have me curious as to whether we simply blitz when Sproiles is in the game.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Sep 25, 2013, 09:52 PM

"rafael wrote:

That's a tough matchup for us. Although I'd feel pretty confident with Grimes on him. IMO Colston has some specific strengths, but is nowhere near the best WR we've faced this year.

Problem I'm envisoning is the Lb's covering that 8-10 yd area beyond the LoS

Saint GregSaint GregNew Member
Sep 25, 2013, 09:57 PM

I have an upper respiratory infection. But I'm on anti-biotics, steroids, and I'm hoping to be 100% by Monday.

btdickey99btdickey99New Member
Sep 25, 2013, 10:05 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

I disagree. Marques Colston is the second best receiver the Dolphins have faced, easily. Jimmy Graham is by far the top tight end we've faced. Darren Sproles is most definitely the most dangerous pass catching tailback we have faced. And these are all on the same unit.

I have to disagree with you. Atlanta has the best receiving core in the NFL IMO. I think Jimmy Graham will def get his, but I feel like we have the ability to "contain" the others.

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Sep 26, 2013, 01:48 AM

Drew Brees' abiltiy to air it out along with our problems in containing TE's is huge in this game.
Lessened ability to pressure Brees with Wake out hurts.
Additionally as I mentioned in another thread, Atlanta outed Carroll last week.
Brees and the Saints have watched that tape. Brees will throw at him early and often mark my words.
We won't win this one and the defense will have to rethink some things after to adjust to certain weaknesses.
Good thing is you don't play offenses and QB's like this every week.

RIP Jetssuck

7777FinFanSupporter
Sep 26, 2013, 02:47 AM

"FanMarino wrote:

Im suprised nobody is mentioning our ST's. Sturgis, Fields who right now though i havnt looked regarding stats are top 3 imo. Thigpen is due a TD. He had one called back. We all saw what Jones did and he's been consistent. I just think our ST's are an element that have been missed. Nobody is mentioning them. Its an Elite unit that shouldnt be dismissed.

Just earlier tonight I said I feel like we have the ST advanatage. Unlike you, I'm more afraid of Thiggy making a stupid play that I feel like he can break one. He worries me w/ his decision making.

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Sep 26, 2013, 07:01 AM

"btdickey99 wrote:

I have to disagree with you. Atlanta has the best receiving core in the NFL IMO. I think Jimmy Graham will def get his, but I feel like we have the ability to "contain" the others.

Atlanta may have the better 1-2 punch, but NO has the better group top to bottom, and a better TE.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

cdz12250cdz12250Supporter
Sep 26, 2013, 07:21 AM

"Coral Reefer wrote:

Drew Brees' abiltiy to air it out along with our problems in containing TE's is huge in this game.
Lessened ability to pressure Brees with Wake out hurts.
Additionally as I mentioned in another thread, Atlanta outed Carroll last week.
Brees and the Saints have watched that tape. Brees will throw at him early and often mark my words.
We won't win this one and the defense will have to rethink some things after to adjust to certain weaknesses.
Good thing is you don't play offenses and QB's like this every week.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. But this coaching staff, unlike previous ones, seems able to learn from exposure of its weaknesses, even if ultimately what needs to be done can only be addressed in the postseason. If there's a game we have to lose, I'd rather it be a road game against a championship caliber non-conference opponent, while our injured guys sit and get another week to heal, than a game against a team in our division.

Besides, a miracle may happen. The stars could align, the breaks could go our way and we could beat the Saints in their house. How big would that be?

Claymore95Claymore95Supporter
Sep 26, 2013, 08:29 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Wow. Did not realize people thought so little of Marques Colston around here. Learn something new every day I guess.

Agree to disagree. Colston is a unique, fantastic receiver, IMO.

I don't think people think little of Colston, some just see HoF-bound Wayne as a better receiver, even now. A legitimate position to hold, and it doesn't mean that folks think Colston isn't a very good receiver.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 26, 2013, 09:51 AM

"Stitches wrote:

Atlanta may have the better 1-2 punch, but NO has the better group top to bottom, and a better TE.

Tony Gonzales makes it a 1 2 3 punch.

BayAreaFinFanBayAreaFinFanSupporter
Sep 26, 2013, 10:17 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

Tony Gonzales makes it a 1 2 3 punch.

Totally agree, but I think with brees he makes NO's unit a better overall unit than ATL's with Matt Ryan

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Sep 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 26, 2013, 05:16 PM

I hate losing patience on injured players because we don't know the severity..but Pattersons freakin crotchal region is pissin me off..

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Sep 26, 2013, 05:43 PM

It's one of those injurys that just lingers. As long as he's back after the bye week I'm okay with it.

PAPats1960New Member
Sep 26, 2013, 07:02 PM

"Section126 wrote:

Problem is the best Non-QB Offensive Player we will face is Jimmy Graham, and he comes with the Best QB we will face all year.

I didn't know that Jimmy Graham was traded to the Patriots. When did that happen?

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2013, 10:06 AM

"pats1960 wrote:

i didn't know that jimmy graham was traded to the patriots. When did that happen?

lol!

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

Sep 27, 2013, 10:15 AM

This is probably the more appropriate thread for this.

The two injuries on their side that interest me most are to DE Tyrunn Walker and CB Jabari Greer.

Walker has not gotten many snaps, but he's been highly impressive on the ones he's gotten. I've had a crush on him as a player since I saw him first in preseason of 2012. He was a nightmare to block, all over the place. PFF has him 16th out of 66 in Pass Rush rating among 3-4 DEs and that's with only 35 snaps. That's like a guy being 16th in receiving yards while only playing 10 snaps a game. If you flip to their efficiency metrics which take into account number of snaps, he's top 3 amongst 3-4 ends for pass rushing. If he's unavailable, even for those 12 snaps or whatever, that's a good thing.

Jabari Greer isn't a special corner but he is their starter. His being Limited in practice is interesting.

The other injuries, I'm not sure how much they work in our favor. Guard Tim Lelito was out of practice but Jahri Evans is back on a Limited basis and he's the starter. Lelito had an AWFUL game in place of Evans, according to PFF.

Lance Moore could be out but Nick Toon comes in his place and the way Moore has fizzled I'm not sure the younger, more energetic Toon isn't an upgrade. He played really well this preseason.

Mark Ingram continues to be out of practice and that's a positive because it means they dish the carries to Pierre Thomas, Darren Sproles and Khiry Robinson, all of whom are an upgrade.

Broderick Bunkley continues to hurt but he's only played 7 snaps this year anyway, he's not been part of the defensive turnaround at all.

Roman Harper possibly being out is interesting. Harper hits like a mack truck. But I have ALWAYS considered him much more of the PROBLEM on that worst-in-history type defense the Saints ran prior to 2013, than the solution. I don't know what the fascination is there. He missed Week 3 and that was their best game of the season, defensively. Rafael Bush looks like a straight upgrade.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Sep 27, 2013, 10:19 AM

I'm going to go ahead and guess that Paul Soliai, Cam Wake and Dimitri Patterson miss this game.

Wake is the toughest call, IMO. He will want to go. But we have a pretty conservative staff that has already gone through some situations where they suffered setbacks (Dimitri Patterson, Jamar Taylor, Dion Jordan) that cost players more time than they thought. But this is the best player on the football team. You can't mess around with him. If he does play, it will be situationally on obvious pass rush downs.

I think Koa Misi will play with a harness. Dannell Ellerbe will play through the pain. Chris Clemons will be a go, just as he was last week.

None of the other injuries are of consequence.

Our secondary against their skill units and quarterback does scare me. Nolan Carroll, Jimmy Wilson, Chris Clemons...Reshad Jones has NOT been good in coverage this year...

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

xphinfanxxphinfanxForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2013, 10:28 AM

"Pats1960 wrote:

I didn't know that Jimmy Graham was traded to the Patriots. When did that happen?

You have the team confused with the Broncos.

That's why they play the games!:yes:

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Sep 27, 2013, 10:28 AM

I wouldn't necessarily say Jones has been great against the run either. It's been a disappointing 3 games so far for him.

TRTrackstarLuxury Box
Sep 27, 2013, 10:28 AM

The X-factor in the secondary could be Will Davis and/or Jamar Taylor. There is not much film for Brees to study on these guys. Would be nice if that counted for something, but I'm not counting on it.