Salguero: Tannenbaum move ill conceived, poorly timed

64 replies

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 01:35 AM

"Serpico Jones wrote:

Tannenbaum is in charge of personnel. He controls the GM.

With that logic, Ross was in charge of the personnel before, he controlled the GM.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jan 7, 2015, 01:50 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

He's not bashing Tannenbaum though. In fact, he talked him up a little and suspects Dolphin fans will hate the hiring due to his NYJ association. Which is spot on if TP.com is any kind of sample. The issue is Stephen Ross making another organizational structure alteration in regards to power. Which is clearly an issue as our GM search last off-season demonstrated. We should have wiped the slate clean. As another poster put it earlier, left over rotten apples spoil the barrel. Ross has taken half measures since he became owner. I think this move would of been better if Tannenbaum was given the position and the authority to put his people in place, rather than becoming another check in the Willy Wonka balance system we have in place.

this is the point where I don't pretend to know more than I do..Kick back and let things play out..this could be a positive thing.

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 02:05 AM

"djphinfan wrote:

this is the point where I don't pretend to know more than I do..Kick back and let things play out..this could be a positive thing.

I think the hire is more positive than negative given what Tannenbaum brings to the table. I hate strongly hate our owner for a lot of other reasons. I don't trust him to make good decisions at any level of this organization. I'm not going to blindly start now when all evidence is to the contrary. Adding pieces to failed regime, which further twist authority rather than starting over w/a new VP/GM/HC is subtraction by addition, even if Tannenbaum is more qualified to run our organization than Ross.

Let me ask you this... Miami goes 6-10 next year. Is Ross firing/letting Philbin, Hickey, and the staff walk? Probably, yes. Is he going to fire Tannenbaum after one season as VP? Probably not. That would be dumb... Ross is taking a half measured approach to improve this **** show he's created instead of cleaning house and building a new staff from the top down.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Jan 7, 2015, 02:10 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

I think the hire is more positive than negative given what Tannenbaum brings to the table. I hate strongly hate our owner for a lot of other reasons. I don't trust him to make good decisions at any level of this organization. I'm not going to blindly start now when all evidence is to the contrary. Adding pieces to failed regime, which further twist authority rather than starting over w/a new VP/GM/HC is subtraction by addition, even if Tannenbaum is more qualified to run our organization than Ross.

Let me ask you this... Miami goes 6-10 next year. Is Ross firing letting Philbin, Hickey, and the staff walk? Probably, yes. Is he going to fire Tannenbaum after one season as VP? Probably not. That would be dumb... Ross is taking a half measured approach to improve this **** show he's created instead of cleaning house and building a new staff from the top down.

If Philbin doesn't produce next year, he gone, and probably hikey gone, then he will conduct a search for coach, then allow the coach to pick his own GM..I don't see anything wrong with that..

its not all bad man, oh yeah, and go over to that stadium modernization thread, it will surely cheer ya up, its kind of a big deal for a team that plays in the worst venue in sports for a home field advantage..their movig and adding concrete brother..with a roof and everything, its all good.

Serpico JonesSerpico JonesForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 02:51 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

With that logic, Ross was in charge of the personnel before, he controlled the GM.

Tannenbaum is basically going to be a very meddling owner, and if he doesn't like the job Hickey is doing he'll fire his ass in a heartbeat.

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 06:39 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

With that logic, Ross was in charge of the personnel before, he controlled the GM.

Logic, what's that?

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 06:59 AM

"finfansince72 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of Ross and certainly not of Tannenbaum, I hope it works out...he's not on the same level as Loria. I mean Ross is in his own sad way trying to win, Loria blatantly deceived the city to get a new stadium, thats a pretty hard act to overtake.

When I lived in South Florida I thought Loria was the worst owner in professional sports. Yet I never blamed him for the stadium. While he certainly lied, it was the corrupt politicians in Miami-Dade county who failed to perform their due diligence in requiring Loria to submit his financial records prior to approving the stadium.

Instead these politicians merely accepted Loria's word that the Marlins were losing millions of dollars a year and therefore could not afford to put more money into building the stadium. I actually give Loria credit for understanding how inept and corrupt the politicians are in Miami Dade county.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 07:10 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

This is exactly correct. Ross is an even worse owner than Loria because he's such an idiot. Yet this move which essentially cedes control of football operations and consolidates oversight into the hands of someone other than Ross...is bad? Wasn't it worse when it was Ross responsible for managing all these department heads?

I think the point of the article was that it's another half measure by Ross when more drastic steps are probably needed. I think that's why this team is failing under Ross's ownership. He's never sure what exactly needs to be done. He's that one dopey guy in the middle of a room frantically looking around at what everyone else is doing and by the time he figures out what he should be doing himself it's too late.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 07:12 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

This is exactly correct. Ross is an even worse owner than Loria because he's such an idiot. Yet this move which essentially cedes control of football operations and consolidates oversight into the hands of someone other than Ross...is bad? Wasn't it worse when it was Ross responsible for managing all these department heads?

Now here's the crazy thing.......

First play this:
http://youtu.be/1khghXRGb6k

Then read this:

If Ross is dumb and bad, then how did he just pull off a smart and good move?

Then play this one more time:
http://youtu.be/1khghXRGb6k

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Jan 7, 2015, 07:13 AM

"roy_miami wrote:

Its not like Tannenbaum just showed up yesterday. He's been with the team the entire season, probably doing a similar role just not in an official capacity. If there were any decisions made on Hickey and Philbin chances are Tannenbaum was consulted at the very least.

Exactly. This guy has been involved all year to some degree. So chances are he had input on the decision with Ross to keep Philbin/Hickey for another year.


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

RoukRoukForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 07:34 AM

Man you guys will buy into anything the dolphins do. This is a horrendous hire and honestly makes no sense considering Philbins current contract. This guy sunk the jets into a black hole. Well on the bright side maybe he sinks us into the same hole and ross sells the team. All I'll say is this clown thought TIM TEBOW would be the savior.

scotty_irnbruscotty_irnbruForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 09:06 AM

I don't really know tannenbaum that well. Clearly he's quite divisive. The jets connection doesn't half. As CK said this appears only to be a good move whichever way you slice it. It seems ridiculous to complain that he left the jets in a mess, was he in any way responsible for 2 championship game visits? We can't have it both ways, can't moan that he didn't do a good job without pointing to the good work he did do. This idea the Ross is the worst owner in sports is beyond ridiculous. What these posters should really say is they disagree with his way of doing something, although from a point of view of less information and with more conjecture. Thus jumping on the spoiled brat machine if you don't like it, get fantastically wealthy and buy your own pro sports team.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 09:38 AM

"Silverphin wrote:

Yeah, a lot of Marlins fans are gonna disagree with that one.

Loria is LITERALLY Satan.

7777FinFanSupporter
Jan 7, 2015, 10:02 AM

"Bad timing?" He might not like the move, but this is pretty much when these types of moves are made. Stupid.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 10:04 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

With that logic, Ross was in charge of the personnel before, he controlled the GM.

I can see your argument here, the difference is that Tannenbaum was a GM before , so therefore he might still want to get his hands into the pot

Lord help us.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 10:07 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

I can see your argument here, the difference is that Tannenbaum was a GM before , so therefore he might still want to get his hands into the pot

That might be true. It is still better than Ross wanting to get his hands into the pot.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Section126Section126Luxury Box
Jan 7, 2015, 10:10 AM

Salguero is the worst.

@Alf_Arteaga on Twitter
"Being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable. .''...- Pat Riley
3 Yards per Carry on itunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/3-yards-per-carry-miami-dolphins/id1363764781?mt=2
3 Yards per Carry for Android:
https://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/

bigbrybigbryNew Member
Jan 7, 2015, 10:16 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

I can't wait till the draft begins, I seriously am tired of reading about the clowns in our front office, it's depressing.

Listen, last warning!

Use "clown" in a derogatory way again and Yeah, I will own your dreams at night.

Jan 7, 2015, 10:28 AM

"MonstBlitz wrote:

I think the point of the article was that it's another half measure by Ross when more drastic steps are probably needed. I think that's why this team is failing under Ross's ownership. He's never sure what exactly needs to be done. He's that one dopey guy in the middle of a room frantically looking around at what everyone else is doing and by the time he figures out what he should be doing himself it's too late.

How is this a half measure?

Demonstrate.

Because from where I'm standing, the half measure would have been to hire Mike Tannenbaum as some sort of "Director of Sports Science" and then have him run a department that either reports directly to Ross or reports to Dennis Hickey. The former would have contributed to the structure being what people deem (arbitrarily) to be convoluted. The latter would have been more clear, but a way of doing something without doing anything.

Ross did not do that. He made Mike Tannenbaum the HEAD of football operations. He is free to implement analytics, sports science, technology, nutrition, etc...by FIAT! That's not a half measure. That's loading up a cannon and obliterating the archaic structure that used to be the Miami Dolphins front office.

Half measure? Yeah I'm calling bullsh-t on that.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

AquafinAquafinNew Member
Jan 7, 2015, 10:47 AM

"finfansince72 wrote:

I'm not a big fan of Ross and certainly not of Tannenbaum, I hope it works out...he's not on the same level as Loria. I mean Ross is in his own sad way trying to win, Loria blatantly deceived the city to get a new stadium, thats a pretty hard act to overtake.


Did you have to go and say that ? now, MR Ross will stoop to a new low .

Jan 7, 2015, 10:56 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

The problem is, someone else running the football operations doesn't matter when the whole power structure is as convoluted as it currently is. GM candidates ran away from us as fast as they could. How has this power structure improved with Tannenbaum in Ross's place? I mean, he's not even responsible for our quasi lame duck HC.

Again, the decision to hire Tannenbaum isn't the real issue. At least, not among those of us who don't think the guy is a buffoon because his resume includes being GM of the NYJ. The issue is the power structure is more convoluted than it was yesterday. Tannenbaum is stuck babysitting Ross's mess instead of beginning the process of cleaning it up.

Why is the structure deemed to be convoluted?

This was a move that DECREASED the entropy in the system. You know how many departments there are in a franchise's football operations?

Just eyeballing the Dolphins structure I would say you have Football Administration (Player Finance), Football Support (Security, Engagement, Operations), Player Personnel (Pro Scouting, College Scouting), Athletic Training (Trainers, Therapy, Nutrition), Equipment and Video. And it sounds to me like Tannenbaum plans on adding to the list of departments with a Director of Sports Performance.

Prior to this move, all of these departments answered to a guy who just wants to watch film and handle the scouting effort. Basically there was no oversight.

Now it's all consolidated into the hands of Mike Tannenbaum, whose job description will NOT include going out on scouting trips constantly and scouting players. He gets to design and implement the structure of the football operations by edict, and he gets to manage all of the departments how he sees fit.

That's not an increase in entropy. That's a marked decrease in entropy.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 11:27 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Why is the structure deemed to be convoluted?

This was a move that DECREASED the entropy in the system. You know how many departments there are in a franchise's football operations?

Just eyeballing the Dolphins structure I would say you have Football Administration (Player Finance), Football Support (Security, Engagement, Operations), Player Personnel (Pro Scouting, College Scouting), Athletic Training (Trainers, Therapy, Nutrition), Equipment and Video. And it sounds to me like Tannenbaum plans on adding to the list of departments with a Director of Sports Performance.

Prior to this move, all of these departments answered to a guy who just wants to watch film and handle the scouting effort. Basically there was no oversight.

Now it's all consolidated into the hands of Mike Tannenbaum, whose job description will NOT include going out on scouting trips constantly and scouting players. He gets to design and implement the structure of the football operations by edict, and he gets to manage all of the departments how he sees fit.

That's not an increase in entropy. That's a marked decrease in entropy.

Awesome post.

It seems like most people think he's coming here to pick players, hopefully your info will temper some of the negativity.

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Jan 7, 2015, 11:33 AM

Even giving the benefit of the doubt to all our "insiders", I just dont think this has 1-iota of a chance to impact on the field next season, and perhaps the following too. This type of FIAT takes time, and more importantly getting all prior "non oversight" entities on board and their underlings too, and each has to get on board quickly, to any impact Tannenbaum would like to improve. All long term items, I would wager 3-offseasons min to see impact.

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Jan 7, 2015, 11:50 AM

"Section126 wrote:

Salguero is the worst.

Not even close.


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Jan 7, 2015, 12:00 PM

if i would be an owner of an NFL Franchise and these morons from the local media wouldn´t stop using these strong words, i would ban their asses from the facility and would never look back, it blows my mind that this has not happened yet