Schefter: Cowboys Offered Late-Round Pick for Beck
69 replies
Cassel on the outs?
The former seventh-round pick who has spent the past three seasons in New England could be dangled in a trade with the hope of recouping a late-round pick. Problem is, most teams no longer are in the market for a backup quarterback. Two teams to watch there are the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants, but they might be more interested in Simms or Dolphins backup quarterback John Beck. The Cowboys have closely monitored Beck and offered a late-round pick for the second-year QB. They still could make another run at him. But Cassel's short-term future will be sifted out in New England's final two preseason games.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d80a148b8&template=with-video&confirm=true
Good to see a market is being created. I think Beck can get more than a late round pick.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys offered our Jason Ferguson pick back for Beck.
I'm also a bit surprised that Chicago hasn't been sniffing around a bit. Grossman isn't cutting it and I'm not sure Orton will ever be anything more than a journeyman.
That confirms the Cowboys interest reported a couple of weeks ago
Cowboys possibly interested in Beck
I'd have to think if the Dolphins front office was just going to flat out cut Beck, as some have asserted, this would have been (or perhaps still could be) the way to go.
The fact that Beck is still in Miami means something.
GO DOLPHINS !!!
WAR EAGLE !!!
"Finrunner wrote:
I'd have to think if the Dolphins front office was just going to flat out cut Beck, as some have asserted, this would have been (or perhaps still could be) the way to go.
The fact that Beck is still in Miami means something.
Like that maybe, just maybe, they dont think he is a steaming pile of trash.
And think it would be pretty dumb to trade/cut a second year QB who has flashed some defanent NFL talent. :wink2:
I think any team will just wait and see who becomes available after the cuts.
Anything later than a fourth, we are better off keeping him.

Amazing Sig and Awesome Avy by gi§h
I don't get it.....
Why the interest in such a failed prospect that has clearly shown his inability to become an NFL QB.
I guess these teams aren't reading these boards or they'd know better.
RIP Jetssuck
"gunn34 wrote:
I think any team will just wait and see who becomes available after the cuts.
But that's not what Dallas did, according to the article. They've made an offer, one that we didn't accept... at least to this point (and I don't think we would, btw, but you never know).
Like dolphan117 was suggesting, maybe they see more value in the young quarterback than many here and in the media believe.
GO DOLPHINS !!!
WAR EAGLE !!!
"gunn34 wrote:
I think any team will just wait and see who becomes available after the cuts.
That depends. At least if you trade for the guy you're assured of getting him. It wouldn't surprise me to see a number of trades involving late round picks when you have a team like Miami who will actively work the waiver wire or scour for free agents.
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Good to see a market is being created. I think Beck can get more than a late round pick.
Based on WHAT? He may have a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown anything on the field to make him worth more than a late round pick to another team.
"Miamifan1354 wrote:
Anything later than a fourth, we are better off keeping him.
Agreed. It'd be nice to get at least a 3rd... possibly a 2nd. We spent a high 2nd on him just last year.
The only things that hurt our chances is Beck's age, the rest of the league's awareness of our front office's increasing faith in moving forward with Henne and Penny, and Beck's unusually slow development.
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that Sparano is keeping Beck out of the preseason games, if their intent is to trade him. Keeping him from injury? Don't want him to show how bad he really is? Are 100% on moving forward without him, and want the offense to get ready for the regular season?
I'm just not sure about all this. All I know is, I just like John Beck. I think he's going to develop into a good QB for some team. It's going to be a letdown for me when he's (most likely) no longer a Phin.
The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese
"Finrunner wrote:
But that's not what Dallas did, according to the article. They've made an offer, one that we didn't accept... at least to this point (and I don't think we would, btw, but you never know).
Like dolphan117 was suggesting, maybe they see more value in the young quarterback than many here and in the media believe.
Yep....
If this staff was so dissapointed and convinced of Beck's incompetence that they were going to simply cut him then CERTAINLY they would have taken any pick they could for this kid who's shown "nothing".
We may still trade him if they get a better offer.
Personlly though I'm still firmly in the camp that it makes the most sense by far to keep the prospect and develop him more.
RIP Jetssuck
"Rick 1966 wrote:
Based on WHAT? He may have a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown anything on the field to make him worth more than a late round pick to another team.
Based on teams knowing timewise what it takes to develop a QB prospect.
RIP Jetssuck
O MY GOD!!!!!!!!
First it was John Clayton, then it was Omar now it's Adam Schefter.Why is the Mass Media making up all these lies about Beck being shopped.
Ooooooooo MY GOD!!!!
:hammertime:
"Coral Reefer wrote:
Based on teams knowing timewise what it takes to develop a QB prospect.
That's the thing...he hasn't had that time and hasn't developed, so they have no way of knowing if he WILL. So considering that it's a big gamble, why would they throw anything other than a 6th or 7th rounder at the Fins for him?
"funkdat wrote:
O MY GOD!!!!!!!!
First it was John Clayton, then it was Omar now it's Adam Schefter.Why is the Mass Media making up all these lies about Beck being shopped.
Ooooooooo MY GOD!!!!
Reading comprehension funkdat, reading comprehension. :up:
This article doesn't say that we shopped him, it says that Dallas made an offer and we turned it down. Teams are always kicking the tires to see what's out there, that doesn't mean that players are available just because a team, in this case Dallas, makes an offer. :)

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Good to see a market is being created. I think Beck can get more than a late round pick.
I suspect that most of the people who expect to get anything more for Beck at the moment than a late round pick would go bonkers if we were to offer a 2nd or 3rd for Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton, Kellen Clemens or Travaris Jackson.
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only reason for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless.
"like2god wrote:
Reading comprehension funkdat, reading comprehension. :up:
This article doesn't say that we shopped him, it says that Dallas made an offer and we turned it down. Teams are always kicking the tires to see what's out there, that doesn't mean that players are available just because a team, in this case Dallas, makes an offer. :)
Ok Adam Schefter didn't say we are shopping him , just everyone else.you got me.:knucks:
Ether way i think it's dumb to let the guy just walk.If it was up to me we'd kept 4 QB's this year.
:hammertime:
"Rick 1966 wrote:
Based on WHAT? He may have a lot of potential, but he hasn't shown anything on the field to make him worth more than a late round pick to another team.
Based on the same thing that made him a high 2nd round pick in the first place. His talent, his smarts, his arm, his ability, and his potential. While 'the light' hasn't gone on for Beck yet as an NFL QB... it most likely will... and when it does, he's going to be a heckuva QB for someone.
I'm not sure if you fall into this category, but, I think too many people are too quick to give up on horses who don't fire out of the gate in their first race... or their second... or their third.
Sometimes, it takes time. Sometimes it's well worth it to be patient. Once you make a commitment, you can't un-trade Jon Beck.
The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese
"funkdat wrote:
Ok Adam Schefter didn't say we are shopping him , just everyone else.you got me.:knucks:
Ether way i think it's dumb to let the guy just walk.If it was up to me we'd kept 4 QB's this year.
Adam Schefter also said that the Cowboys were so mad crazy for Darren McFadden that they were going to trade us their 2 1st rounders and Marion Barber, so his word isn't gospel.
Yeah, I don't agree with just cutting a player either. I'm still burning over the fact that McMichael was let go without getting anything in retunr for him.

I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.
"Larry Little wrote:
Based on the same thing that made him a high 2nd round pick in the first place
That's a flawed logic, I'm afraid. Draft value and trade value are two different issues altogether.
We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only reason for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely. All art is quite useless.
"like2god wrote:
Adam Schefter also said that the Cowboys were so mad crazy for Darren McFadden that they were going to trade us their 2 1st rounders and Marion Barber, so his word isn't gospel.
Yeah, I don't agree with just cutting a player either. I'm still burning over the fact that McMichael was let go without getting anything in retunr for him.
Yup i know.
The McMichael thing was super dumb, how long is it going to take to replace him?
:hammertime:
"Vendigo wrote:
That's a flawed logic, I'm afraid. Draft value and trade value are two different issues altogether.
when you're only a year out of the draft with no injuries and very little playing time, i'd say they are still pretty similar. the idea of us trading him now is based on his potential. which is precisely the same reasons you draft someone. potential.

