Star Wars Episode VII
487 replies
"Galant wrote:
Saw the movie last night. Mixed feelings but overall I left disappointed.
There was some beautiful filming, some great characters, so clever bits and pieces, but mostly I found it lacking as a 'Star Wars' movie. Felt like the writer just didn't care for the 'old' Star Wars lore and feel and really wanted to move in a different direction. Out with the old in with the new.
If you're familiar with anime, this, to me, felt more like a 'slice of life' Star Wars approach, rather than an episode in an epic saga, which, to me, Star Wars should be.
Oh and that 'parody' moment with the "ship" landing.... there's humour and then there's humour.
More and more I believe they've handled these sequels wrongly.
They should have just one writer/team for the whole trilogy and one story to tell.
They failed to build on the original story and instead repeated too much.Overall, these movies feel, to me, like Star Wars fan films, than a legitimate continuation/termination of the story.
I agree with all of this. Out of the three new films Rogue One was the best by a long shot.
The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.
"Destroyer wrote:
I agree with all of this. Out of the three new films Rogue One was the best by a long shot.
I still don't understand why people like Rogue One so much. It was barely a movie.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
I still don't understand why people like Rogue One so much. It was barely a movie.
Rogue One was a great movie. I loved it. Much better than VII or VIII. At this point I like the prequels better than this trilogy.. VIII seemed like a filler movie to me.
"JDelenne wrote:
Rogue One was a great movie. I loved it. Much better than VII or VIII. At this point I like the prequels better than this trilogy.. VIII seemed like a filler movie to me.
how does Rogue One not feel like a filler movie? It is literally filler.
Rogue One is so bad. I just don't get it. The characters suck. Their motivations make no sense. The story plots are just stupid. It is just a bunch of random stuff on the screen that is there because it looks cool. I only have it over the prequels because at least it was shot in an interesting way and had nothing to do with trade agreements.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
Just saw it. Liked it.
- I don't think that is the real answer about Rey's parents.
- We better get some explanation about Snoke's backstory
- The acting choices the actor who plays Hux is making are terrible. He would be way more effective in the role if he played it as he believed in what he was doing instead of finding new and obvious ways to portray sneering villainy.
- This was a transition movie, whose purpose was solely to link the last movie to the next one.
- I know people complain about Forcey Poppins, the spear fishing and the "iron" ship, but none of that actually bothered me. The milking scene was too silly, IMO.
Also:
Force Awakens > Empire > Rogue One > Last Jedi > Return > Original > Prequels
"Fin D wrote:
Just saw it. Liked it.
- I don't think that is the real answer about Rey's parents.
- We better get some explanation about Snoke's backstory
- The acting choices the actor who plays Hux is making are terrible. He would be way more effective in the role if he played it as he believed in what he was doing instead of finding new and obvious ways to portray sneering villainy.
- This was a transition movie, whose purpose was solely to link the last movie to the next one.
- I know people complain about Forcey Poppins, the spear fishing and the "iron" ship, but none of that actually bothered me. The milking scene was too silly, IMO.Also:
Force Awakens > Empire > Rogue One > Last Jedi > Return > Original > Prequels
- I do think that is the real answer about Rey's parents. It is a basically her story arc in the movie. The desire for wanting someone to tell her place in the universe, when in reality, the universe is a chaotic place where random things happen for little reason, so suck it up buttercup.
- There will be a comic or book. It has no place in the movies.
- I liked the actor choices for Hux. The dude was a nazi. Nazi's should be seen as silly. Loved seeing him be knocked around. Stupid Nazi scum!
- I think this was a transition movie whose sole purpose to create a new generation of Star Wars that is beyond just good versus evil, light vs dark, and can tell some modern real world type stories in a Star Wars Universe. A way to say let go of the past and look forward to some new awesome freaking Star Wars.
Still don't see what people see in Rogue One.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
Leia surviving and flying in space is the worst Star Wars thing I have ever seen. I never thought something would replace how I feel about Jake Lloyd in Episode One, but bravo, you managed to do it.
Rey
continues to be ludicrously OP at times.
But I can look beyond that. Not the above though.
Definitely not seeing this as a trilogy either (Not to say it won't be though, I have trouble seeing it is all). Seemed like too much tearing down.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
- I do think that is the real answer about Rey's parents. It is a basically her story arc in the movie. The desire for wanting someone to tell her place in the universe, when in reality, the universe is a chaotic place where random things happen for little reason, so suck it up buttercup.
- There will be a comic or book. It has no place in the movies.
- I liked the actor choices for Hux. The dude was a nazi. Nazi's should be seen as silly. Loved seeing him be knocked around. Stupid Nazi scum!
- I think this was a transition movie whose sole purpose to create a new generation of Star Wars that is beyond just good versus evil, light vs dark, and can tell some modern real world type stories in a Star Wars Universe. A way to say let go of the past and look forward to some new awesome freaking Star Wars.Still don't see what people see in Rogue One.
- I think that is what Rian Johnson wanted. I don't think that is what Abrams wants though and he;'s doing the next one. Abrams is traditional in that sense I believe.
- Same thing with Snoke and Abrams. I don't think Abrams thought of Snoke as a Maguffin.
- Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
- I can get behind that.
Everything you hate about Rogue One can easily be said about every other Star Wars movie. I think you hated it because they all died.:tongue2:
"Fin D wrote:
- I think that is what Rian Johnson wanted. I don't think that is what Abrams wants though and he;'s doing the next one. Abrams is traditional in that sense I believe.
- Same thing with Snoke and Abrams. I don't think Abrams thought of Snoke as a Maguffin.
- Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad.
- I can get behind that.Everything you hate about Rogue One can easily be said about every other Star Wars movie. I think you hated it because they all died.:tongue2:
JJ Abrams was executive producer and was so pumped by Rian Johnson's script he jumped at the idea of doing a new one.
Looking at Abrams history, Abrams likes to create mysteries and not solve them. I don't think he had anything in mind for Snoke or Rey's parents. Snoke was a plot point to move the story along. His backstory is not important in the future story of Kylo and Rey. In fact, Kylo's main arc was destroying the past. Which gave him one of my favorite parts which he uses to temp Rey. Stop looking towards the past, you are from nothing, you are nothing, join me because you are at least something to me.
IMO, this movie needed a year to be brilliant. The movie has a lot of flaws in writing and flow. However, a lot of the concepts are very interesting. This is the problem of doing Star Wars movies every two years.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
I saw the movie last night and will go see it again on Saturday. I enjoyed it very much. It had some great action, beautiful shots and some good story (but not great). The latter is in part that it is a transition movie, setting up the final episode.
Overall I'd rank" Empire > Last Jedi > Rogue One > episode IV > Jedi > sucky prequels
As far as not sticking to Star Wars classical lore, I disagree. The betrayal was a lot like Lando in Empire.
testing
"Stitches wrote:
Leia surviving and flying in space is the worst Star Wars thing I have ever seen. I never thought something would replace how I feel about Jake Lloyd in Episode One, but bravo, you managed to do it.
Rey
continues to be ludicrously OP at times.
But I can look beyond that. Not the above though.
Definitely not seeing this as a trilogy either (Not to say it won't be though, I have trouble seeing it is all). Seemed like too much tearing down.
I do think the Leia floating in space was beyond silly. That was the opportunity to have Leia exit the star wars universe appropriately. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess since they were planning on making her role more prominent in Episode IX
testing
"Ohio Fanatic wrote:
I saw the movie last night and will go see it again on Saturday. I enjoyed it very much. It had some great action, beautiful shots and some good story (but not great). The latter is in part that it is a transition movie, setting up the final episode.
Overall I'd rank" Empire > Last Jedi > Rogue One > episode IV > Jedi > sucky prequelsAs far as not sticking to Star Wars classical lore, I disagree. The betrayal was a lot like Lando in Empire.
Where do you put Force Awakens?
So, leaving the theater I wasn't sure, but after percolating in the brain and reading other thoughts, I have to say that while it did have some clear flaws, it was a great movie and fantastically enjoyable.
I do understand why some may have been initially disappointed though, it very clearly - almost heavyhandedly - wanted to veer away from the themes of the original trilogy. It wanted to explore failure in a way that even Empire didn't. It wanted there to be consequences, it wanted those C3P0 odds to NOT work all the time. If you went into the movie expecting everything JJ laid out to have some crazily complicated backstory (the kind of stuff the old EU was famous for), if you expected a retelling of Empire ... then the zig of this movie was going to play oddly. Like Empire (which was considered a miss by many at the time), I think this one will age well among all but the biggest pickers of nits. Those nits are there, and are pickeable, but all the movies have them.
Anyone saying the prequels were better FYI is bad and you should feel bad.
Some spoilers in general and in reply to others.
>I loved how the Force was expanded. It went back to it's mystical roots instead of the mitochondria bullshit from the prequels. Seriously fuck that shit. Leia's scene was odd, but fine. I think it threw most people not for itself but what we immediately suspected - Carrie is dead, this is her character's sendoff. PSYCHE!
>Similarly, Luke's force projection was from left field and I thought it was awesome. Think about it though, there was no alternative! He was stranded on that island - the movie made it very clear his XWing was sunk. No way off.
>The throne room scene, holy shit was great. Star Wars too often leaves cool shit in the background, here, it comes to the front in a giant fight. I also love the direction of the fights in this and TFA - short, savage, brutal. The ballet fights in the prequels were one of their few highlights, but it was also clearly performance. These fights just seem deadlier.
>General Hux is exactly what he is supposed to be. He fully believes in his mission, and barely realizes his status as useful puppet for Snoke -> Kylo. I want him over the top sneering. He's like the original admirals in New Hope.
>The humor was unexpected (another thing that threw people I suspect) but ultimately I quite enjoyed it. The milk thing was gross, but intentionally so. YOU WANT BLUE MILK MUTHAFUCKERS?!?!?!
>Fanbois butthurt their pet characters didn't have the heroic arcs they wanted ... the tears are delicious. Look, I loved the "it's a trap!" line too, but come on, Ackbar didn't need some heroic sendoff.
>The hyperspace suicide omg that was insane. I knew it was coming but it blew me away.
I think this is absolutely who Rey is - a nobody. I don't see JJ reversing that. He might go back to Snoke and the origins of the FO though. I want to know where they are getting all these giant ships from (Starkiller base, the dreadnoughts, the flagship).
Luke has to come back as a force ghost, yeah?
I am surprised Leia made it through the film, I wonder what is in store.
Teasing the Kylo turn to the light was good, as was his rejection. He is still conflicted and crazy. Clearly the people in charge want us to believe he CAN be redeemed, but I question if he will.
Oddly, while the film seemed to try very hard to NOT be Empire, I do think it served some of the same strokes as that film as well. Failure, rashness leading to problems. A dark figure resisting the light. The light challenged in ways unseen before, a parental twist.
"Fin D wrote:
Where do you put Force Awakens?
Empire > TFA > TLJ > New Hope > RotJ > Prequel garbage.
Rogue One I thought was excellent, completely disagree with Dupree, but I find it hard to place since it's a different movie set in the same universe.
I do think TLJ will age well and become the Empire of this generation, but TFA is criminally underrated by simpletons who couldn't get past some of the obvious (and intentional for good reason) callbacks to the original trilogy.
"Fin D wrote:
Where do you put Force Awakens?
Yeah, somehow left that out. I'd put that one behind Rogue One, but just barely. Always hard for me to rate the obvious intro movies that high since they serve a clear purpose in building a story. so, valuable, just not as impactful to my brain
So, Empire > Last Jedi > Rogue One ~ Force Awakens > episode IV > Jedi > sucky prequels
testing
>I loved how the Force was expanded. It went back to it's mystical roots instead of the mitochondria bull**** from the prequels. Seriously **** that ****. Leia's scene was odd, but fine. I think it threw most people not for itself but what we immediately suspected - Carrie is dead, this is her character's sendoff. PSYCHE!
>Similarly, Luke's force projection was from left field and I thought it was awesome. Think about it though, there was no alternative! He was stranded on that island - the movie made it very clear his XWing was sunk. No way off.
>The throne room scene, holy **** was great. Star Wars too often leaves cool **** in the background, here, it comes to the front in a giant fight. I also love the direction of the fights in this and TFA - short, savage, brutal. The ballet fights in the prequels were one of their few highlights, but it was also clearly performance. These fights just seem deadlier.
>General Hux is exactly what he is supposed to be. He fully believes in his mission, and barely realizes his status as useful puppet for Snoke -> Kylo. I want him over the top sneering. He's like the original admirals in New Hope.
>The humor was unexpected (another thing that threw people I suspect) but ultimately I quite enjoyed it. The milk thing was gross, but intentionally so. YOU WANT BLUE MILK MUTHA****ERS?!?!?!
>Fanbois butthurt their pet characters didn't have the heroic arcs they wanted ... the tears are delicious. Look, I loved the "it's a trap!" line too, but come on, Ackbar didn't need some heroic sendoff.
>The hyperspace suicide omg that was insane. I knew it was coming but it blew me away.
I think this is absolutely who Rey is - a nobody. I don't see JJ reversing that. He might go back to Snoke and the origins of the FO though. I want to know where they are getting all these giant ships from (Starkiller base, the dreadnoughts, the flagship).
Luke has to come back as a force ghost, yeah?
I am surprised Leia made it through the film, I wonder what is in store.
Teasing the Kylo turn to the light was good, as was his rejection. He is still conflicted and crazy. Clearly the people in charge want us to believe he CAN be redeemed, but I question if he will.
yeah, the throne room was epic. when I was watching it though, it reminded me more of The Force Unleashed games. Even the question of the huge battle cruisers made me reminisce about the Knights of the Republic storylines. Probably no real relation, but those storylines, especially KOTOR, were better than some of the real star wars storylines
testing
I saw it last night.
This is not a movie that is going to age well.
"gilv13 wrote:
I saw it last night.
This is not a movie that is going to age well.
See I have completely the opposite thought - it may not play well to everyone at first viewing, but it will age very well.
"Fin D wrote:
Just saw it. Liked it.
- The acting choices the actor who plays Hux is making are terrible.
.Also:
Force Awakens > Empire > Rogue One > Last Jedi > Return > Original > Prequels
Well he IS known for those terrible choices...
HUX-table :shifty:
"gilv13 wrote:
I saw it last night.
This is not a movie that is going to age well.
why do you say that?
testing
Just saw it, and I was very, very happy. Cannot understand why some people are so outrageously upset. I don't have anything special to add that you guys haven't already said, but it looks and feels like a Star Wars movie, and takes the characters in believable, human directions, and gives some of them depth that they didn't have previously.
And all of the humor was spot on and timed well. Loved it. I'm very happy with the people in charge of the franchise and enjoy the direction that they're taking it.
And I also think that there's more to Rey's history than was said. I told my wife as we were driving home that Snoke "lied" to Kylo/gave him false visions to manipulate him. Ben thinks that he's telling Rey the truth, but there's more out there to it. And unless Rey's memory of her childhood from TFA was wrong, we watched her parents take of in a larger ship and leave Jakku. That doesn't mesh with the idea that they were nobody scrappers who died there.
I also want more explanation of who exactly Snoke is/was. It can be anything really, but someone trained him to be an extremely high powered Sith. He didn't do that on his own.
Saw it also and liked it a lot. I can see why some people have issues, but I think they're missing the point. This trilogy is all grown up now, and doing its own thing.
When Kylo smashes his mask, we learn that this isn't your grandpa's Star Wars anymore. From that moment on Kylo becomes his own man, and the movie turns away from the past. The trilogy is now its own and out of the shadow of the OT and no longer trying to be it. I like that a lot. "Let the past die." I'm not trying to watch OT part 2; I want to be excited about a new trilogy.
With Rey, I all but expect her parents' story to be true. Like the last scene of the movie, I think the new trilogy wants viewers to accept that other people outside of the Skywalker bloodline can be strong force users (along with the theme that the force doesn't belong to Jedi).
With Snoke, I'm ok with not knowing and his origin doesn't matter to me. The trilogy is more about Kylo. There are other characters without backstories.
I do think we need to know a lot more about the events between episodes 6 and 7 though. Also, Finn's character took a nose dive.
"#1 fan wrote:
Saw it also and liked it a lot. I can see why some people have issues, but I think they're missing the point. This trilogy is all grown up now, and doing its own thing.
When Kylo smashes his mask, we learn that this isn't your grandpa's Star Wars anymore. From that moment on Kylo becomes his own man, and the movie turns away from the past. The trilogy is now its own and out of the shadow of the OT and no longer trying to be it. I like that a lot. "Let the past die." I'm not trying to watch OT part 2; I want to be excited about a new trilogy.
With Rey, I all but expect her parents' story to be true. Like the last scene of the movie, I think the new trilogy wants viewers to accept that other people outside of the Skywalker bloodline can be strong force users (along with the theme that the force doesn't belong to Jedi).
With Snoke, I'm ok with not knowing and his origin doesn't matter to me. The trilogy is more about Kylo. There are other characters without backstories.
I do think we need to know a lot more about the events between episodes 6 and 7 though. Also, Finn's character took a nose dive.
I agree with a lot of what you said, however, i think because of fan backlash I still think there's a chance JJ retcons somethings, like Rey's history. I think Johnson left the door open for it to be changed and even gave JJ a way to appease both sides with the kid at the end. that kid can be the new blood and Rey can be a Palaptine or something.
"Fin D wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you said, however, i think because of fan backlash I still think there's a chance JJ retcons somethings, like Rey's history. I think Johnson left the door open for it to be changed and even gave JJ a way to appease both sides with the kid at the end. that kid can be the new blood and Rey can be a Palaptine or something.
I can definitely see that. I left the movie telling my buddy there's no way Kylo was telling the truth about Rey (he just wants her to join him), but have since changed my mind. Either way, we don't know what JJ will do now, so I'm glad when I go to see the movie in two years, I won't be expecting Return of the Jedi 2.
"#1 fan wrote:
Saw it also and liked it a lot. I can see why some people have issues, but I think they're missing the point. This trilogy is all grown up now, and doing its own thing.
When Kylo smashes his mask, we learn that this isn't your grandpa's Star Wars anymore. From that moment on Kylo becomes his own man, and the movie turns away from the past. The trilogy is now its own and out of the shadow of the OT and no longer trying to be it. I like that a lot. "Let the past die." I'm not trying to watch OT part 2; I want to be excited about a new trilogy.
With Rey, I all but expect her parents' story to be true. Like the last scene of the movie, I think the new trilogy wants viewers to accept that other people outside of the Skywalker bloodline can be strong force users (along with the theme that the force doesn't belong to Jedi).
With Snoke, I'm ok with not knowing and his origin doesn't matter to me. The trilogy is more about Kylo. There are other characters without backstories.
I do think we need to know a lot more about the events between episodes 6 and 7 though. Also, Finn's character took a nose dive.
Which is funny, because many of the same people complaining now are the same ones complaining that TFA was a knockoff of New Hope. I thought they were being smart doing it this way. Have the first movie grounded firmly in SW universe, then go back to some of the wackier roots that made it so unique. SW is more than just laser swords and ships, which people seem to be missing.