The Mets- A New Beginning 2011

142 replies

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury BoxOP
Nov 12, 2010, 03:30 PM

Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reports that “Terry Collins, Clint Hurdle, and Bob Melvin have emerged as leading candidates in the Mets’ search for a manager.”

However, new general manager Sandy Alderson apparently hasn’t officially trimmed his list to three names, as Rubin adds that “a potential fourth candidate for a callback is current third base coach Chip Hale” and “one potential additional interviewee is ex-Met Jose Oquendo.”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/12/terry-collins-clint-hurdle-and-bob-melvin-emerge-as-top-candidates-in-mets-manager-search/

I wonder if the Jose Oquendo possible interview has to do with the fact we have a lot of Latino players?

Not a very inspiring list of managers, but willing to give the new FO a chance.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 12, 2010, 09:44 PM

The Mets will indeed interview Jose Oquendo next Monday in Orlando before the GM meetings get underway, according to David Lennon of New York Newsday.

Oquendo, an ex-Met, has spent the past 11 seasons as Tony La Russa’s third base coach with the Cardinals. He has previously interviewed for manager jobs with the Mariners and the Padres, who were then led by, you guessed it, new Mets GM Sandy Alderson.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/12/confirmed-mets-to-interview-jose-oquendo-for-managerial-vacancy/

This is an interesting twist.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Nov 12, 2010, 09:49 PM

Jose Oquendo is a cat I recall from being a very effective mop up relief pitcher, surprisingly effective for a starting shortstop.

Good luck with that, to me the Mets need someone with a resume because they are saddled with those contracts and the players have to have someone they respect to perform.

Joe Torre maybe?

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 12, 2010, 10:25 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Jose Oquendo is a cat I recall from being a very effective mop up relief pitcher, surprisingly effective for a starting shortstop.

Good luck with that, to me the Mets need someone with a resume because they are saddled with those contracts and the players have to have someone they respect to perform.

Joe Torre maybe?

I think the favorite is Terry Collins, Torre isn't even in the mix.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 14, 2010, 10:54 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Jose Oquendo is a cat I recall from being a very effective mop up relief pitcher, surprisingly effective for a starting shortstop.

Good luck with that, to me the Mets need someone with a resume because they are saddled with those contracts and the players have to have someone they respect to perform.

Joe Torre maybe?

We already went the Torre route once before and it stunk then. Out of the list being mentioned Im kinda hoping for darkhorse Chip Hale who according to Metsblog seems like he will get a second interview or Wally Backman who seems destined for a promotion but only a minor league promotion. I hate retreads like Hurdle, Collins and Melvin...usually if a coach is fired from a job, in some cases multiple times, then there is a reason. I know Alderson places moderate emphasis on managers and just wants someone to toe the company line basically but these candidates are uninspiring at best.

Myself and I'm pretty sure NJ want Bobby V the Mustache Man back. But I'm not sure we will get our wish since Alderson doesn't seem to believe in paying managers big money. Not that money determines a managers worth but I think a proven winner with a good resume would go far amongst the credibility of this clubhouse and some of the veteran players who have been here for a while.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Nov 14, 2010, 10:55 AM

I am very sorry.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 14, 2010, 11:01 AM

"lmeister3 wrote:

I am very sorry.

You should be.

MAMaingeForum Veteran
Nov 14, 2010, 12:19 PM

Pirates hired Clint Hurdle (:lol:!) so scratch him.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Nov 14, 2010, 01:44 PM

That's a good thing if you're a Met fan.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 14, 2010, 09:17 PM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

That's a good thing if you're a Met fan.

Thats how I feel.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 14, 2010, 09:22 PM

Sandy Alderson’s father killed in pedestrian accident

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the father of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson died on Saturday night due to injuries sustained upon being struck by a vehicle in St. Petersburg, Florida. Authorities are investigating the incident, but no charges have yet been filed against the 21-year-old driver.

John Alderson, a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam, was 87 years old.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/14/sandy-aldersons-father-killed-in-pedestrian-accident/

The guy survives 3 wars and gets run over.

RIP

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Nov 14, 2010, 10:32 PM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/14/sandy-aldersons-father-killed-in-pedestrian-accident/

The guy survives 3 wars and gets run over.

RIP

I just saw that. Just awful news. RIP.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 16, 2010, 08:10 AM

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson spoke with reporters just a short while ago at the GM Meetings in Orlando and according to Mike Puma of the New York Post, he said he may still interview one or two more candidates for manager even after speaking with Cardinals third base coach Jose Oquendo today.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/15/mets-may-consider-more-candidates-for-manager/

Interesting, I can't think of anyone else?

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 18, 2010, 09:05 AM

The Mets are expected to name a manager by Sunday or Monday according to Alderson at the GM meetings. Backman, Chip Hale, Terry Collins and Bob Melvin are the four finalists. In a recent poll on Metsblog, Backman was far and a way the Mets fans choice receiving about 54% of the vote. Chip Hale was second with 18% beating out Terry Collins by fractions of a point. I dont want Melvin or Collins at all. Ive felt all along Hale may be the guy if Bobby V wasnt brought back which he wont be but I wouldnt be surprised if Backman was named manager and Hale was his bench coach or vice versa

http://www.metsblog.com/2010/11/17/results-of-todays-manager-poll-on-metsblog/

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 18, 2010, 09:53 PM

Yep, Francesa says the Mets have sent word that they will hire one Sunday and the press conference will be Tuesday, and he says its sounds like Melvin.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 20, 2010, 12:06 PM

A source of ESPN New York's Adam Rubin "continues to project" Terry Collins as the Mets' new manager.
"Maybe things have changed, but I doubt it," the source said. Other reports have Bob Melvin as the favorite, and Rubin did add that he "wouldn't be shocked" if Melvin gets the job. It certainly looks like it will come down to one or the other, with Wally Backman and Chip Hale considered longshots at this point. The Mets are expect to make a decision by Monday.

I think you might see Hale as bench coach and Backman as triple A coach if Collins gets the job.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 21, 2010, 05:30 PM

Mets hire Terry Collins as manager

The search is over. The pick is in.

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets are set to introduce Terry Collins as the franchise’s 20th manager.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/21/the-search-is-over-mets-hire-terry-collins-as-manager/

Well, I guess we see what happens now.

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Nov 21, 2010, 09:57 PM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/21/the-search-is-over-mets-hire-terry-collins-as-manager/


Well, I guess we see what happens now.


Will be interesting, but I get the sense the least of the favorites just was given the keys!

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Nov 21, 2010, 10:29 PM

"BigDogsHunt wrote:

Will be interesting, but I get the sense the least of the favorites just was given the keys!


Eh what do the fans know (I'm being serious). Fans hated the Joe Torre and Terry Francona signings back in the day. I think you have to give the new FO the benefit of doubt here. I doubt any fan really knows enough about any of the candidates (strengthens/weakness etc) to be happy or upset with this move. Plus I think it's much more important to have a good GM than a good manager.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 21, 2010, 11:07 PM

I like Alderson and he has shown in the past he knows what he is doing but that doesnt mean I have to agree with this move. Wanted Backman or Hale not a retread like Collins. Hopefully he gets it right again.

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Nov 22, 2010, 11:29 AM

Some thoughts on the Mets’ hiring of Terry Collins

good read...

Can Terry Collins be the guy who steadies the ship while its being overhauled? Possibly. We’re a day or two away from someone going out and getting an injunction against people using the word “intense” to describe Collins — and things ended poorly for him in Anaheim partially, it’s said, because of that intensity — but you have to acknowledge that there is more to his resume than mere intensity. You couldn’t come up through the ranks of the Dodgers organization of the early-to-mid 80s if you were merely an intimidator, because that organization was still known for skads of young talent and professionalism back then. Likewise with the late 80s Pirates, who were producing lots of talent at the time. Mets fans who worry about the Alderson-led Athletics’-brand of boring managers should take note that, at one time, Collins was thought of as the anti-Art Howe, leading to his hiring by the Astros. He managed in Japan and in China, which suggests that he possesses a discipline admired in Asian baseball but also the ability to function in a hierarchy.

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

BigDogsHuntBigDogsHuntNew Member
Nov 22, 2010, 02:18 PM

Third base coach Chip Hale is staying with the Mets following the team’s house-cleaning and apparently pitching coach Dan Warthen will be sticking around too.
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that “Warthen says he’s been asked by Sandy Alderson to return next year as the Mets’ pitching coach.”

BDH -

"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.

"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

Jimmy V. (Mar '93)

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 22, 2010, 04:44 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

I like Alderson and he has shown in the past he knows what he is doing but that doesnt mean I have to agree with this move. Wanted Backman or Hale not a retread like Collins. Hopefully he gets it right again.


Francesa said the called three Mets to talk about the hiring, and all three Mets refused to come on saying they hate him.

Should be interesting.

NJFINSFAN1NJFINSFAN1Luxury Box
Nov 22, 2010, 05:08 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

I like Alderson and he has shown in the past he knows what he is doing but that doesnt mean I have to agree with this move. Wanted Backman or Hale not a retread like Collins. Hopefully he gets it right again.

Mets people are saying Hale, who will stay as third-base coach, was a "close second,'' which could put him in position to take over if Collins doesn't work out over his short two-year contract.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jon_heyman/11/22/gm.meetings/index.html#ixzz163GNyNx8

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Nov 22, 2010, 05:23 PM

"NJFINSFAN1 wrote:

Francesa said the called three Mets to talk about the hiring, and all three Mets refused to come on saying they hate him.

Should be interesting.

They hate Collins or Francesa?