**The Official 2012-13 NBA Thread**

7969 replies

OzzyOzzyLuxury Box
Nov 30, 2012, 10:28 AM

"Boik14 wrote:

Sounds like 6 of one half a dozen of another to me. Either way he wasnt playing his 3 studs. So whats the difference? Being tactful?

The difference is who might watch it on TV . That's what the NBA relies on. You tell the public that your star players won't be playing a few hours before tip off and the viewers make plans to watch something else

http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 30, 2012, 10:43 AM

"Ozzy wrote:

The difference is who might watch it on TV . That's what the NBA relies on. You tell the public that your star players won't be playing a few hours before tip off and the viewers make plans to watch something else

I get that. But if the coach of a team decides to rest players on the 4th game in 5 nights thats still his call whether we like it or not. I dont really agree with it but its still not our decision.

BlameItOnTheHenneBlameItOnTheHenneForum Veteran
Nov 30, 2012, 11:27 AM

Can this just end already? They will play again and there will be a crapload more great matchups. Get over it.

dolfan32323dolfan32323New Member
Nov 30, 2012, 11:50 AM

"lmeister3 wrote:

Could have at least showed up and done that before marching off the court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2LRDO4jiBo

MrtreeMrtreeForum Veteran
Nov 30, 2012, 02:14 PM

If we meet them in the Finals I think we show them up by holding Dexter Pittman out the whole series.

Yeah, that'll show them.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Nov 30, 2012, 04:53 PM

I say we save Pittman for Rondo.

BlameItOnTheHenneBlameItOnTheHenneForum Veteran
Nov 30, 2012, 06:20 PM

Spurs fined 250k

This is ridiculous. Teams should start getting fined for tanking now, right?

Jt0323Jt0323Staff
Nov 30, 2012, 06:23 PM

the NBA is a joke. How you can fine a team for benching players is terrible.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 30, 2012, 07:47 PM

So now at the end of the year when the Heat rest Lebron or Wade or OKC rests Durant those teams should be fined as well correct?

Alex44Alex44New Member
Nov 30, 2012, 07:48 PM

"Jt0323 wrote:

the NBA is a joke. How you can fine a team for benching players is terrible.

Because fans already think teams coast through the regular season. What kind of message does it send when a coach basically says a game isn't important in the early stages of the season?

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Nov 30, 2012, 07:49 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

So now at the end of the year when the Heat rest Lebron or Wade or OKC rests Durant those teams should be fined as well correct?

No. I don't think you're allowing yourself to grasp the context of the situation because you hate Miami.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 30, 2012, 07:51 PM

"Alex44 wrote:

No. I don't think you're allowing yourself to grasp the context of the situation because you hate Miami.

It wasnt a jab at Miami, it was a compliment. Whether I hate them or not I expect they will have the 1 seed. So if with say 2 games left in the regular season they rest Lebron or Wade they should be fined just like the Spurs correct? Just like OKC if they rest Durant correct? Or if LAL rests Kobe? Or if the NYK rest Melo?

Alex44Alex44New Member
Nov 30, 2012, 07:57 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

It wasnt a jab at Miami, it was a compliment. Whether I hate them or not I expect they will have the 1 seed. So if with say 2 games left in the regular season they rest Lebron or Wade they should be fined just like the Spurs correct? Just like OKC if they rest Durant correct? Or if LAL rests Kobe? Or if the NYK rest Melo?

No, because in that situation you are talking about teams with their seeds clinched and not much to play for. In this situation we were 13 games into the season and without any health issues and an off day before their next game.

Honestly the part that bothers me is that he didn't even keep the players on the bench. They basically said "This game doesn't matter at all, go home and rest" which sends a terrible message to fans who as I said before already believe top teams coast.

Not to mention the Spurs have done this before and been warned that there would be sanctions.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

Jt0323Jt0323Staff
Nov 30, 2012, 09:29 PM

Let the coaches coach the team, if the owner has a problem with the benching then he should say something, if not, coach can do what he wants, and the NBA should not get involved. No other league would ever do anything like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 30, 2012, 09:58 PM

"Alex44 wrote:

No, because in that situation you are talking about teams with their seeds clinched and not much to play for. In this situation we were 13 games into the season and without any health issues and an off day before their next game.

Honestly the part that bothers me is that he didn't even keep the players on the bench. They basically said "This game doesn't matter at all, go home and rest" which sends a terrible message to fans who as I said before already believe top teams coast.

Not to mention the Spurs have done this before and been warned that there would be sanctions.

Actually the no health issues part isnt really true. Green and Ginobli were battling injuries. Next time Pop should just lie I guess and say they had a 101 fever.
- Hes got an older team and he should rest them
- The purpose was to minimize the negative outcome. he could have rested Duncan 1 game, Parker the next, Ginobli the one after and finally Green but that would affect 4 games.
- If the owner who signs the paycheck has no problem with it, Stern needs to back to his corner and stop being a baby.

And the top teams do coast. He wants to add meaning to the regular season? Give them something more to play for. Or shorten the regular season so each game matters more. The reason you never see it happen in the NFL is cause its only 16 games. Baseball players get days off all the time and no one complains.

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

It wasnt a jab at Miami, it was a compliment. Whether I hate them or not I expect they will have the 1 seed. So if with say 2 games left in the regular season they rest Lebron or Wade they should be fined just like the Spurs correct? Just like OKC if they rest Durant correct? Or if LAL rests Kobe? Or if the NYK rest Melo?

F that. Sit all of them is what I say lol

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Nov 30, 2012, 10:30 PM

"Jt0323 wrote:

Let the coaches coach the team, if the owner has a problem with the benching then he should say something, if not, coach can do what he wants, and the NBA should not get involved. No other league would ever do anything like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, but no other league relies on individual players as much as the NBA.

I certainly would be pissed if I paid to go to that game.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Nov 30, 2012, 10:32 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

It wasnt a jab at Miami, it was a compliment. Whether I hate them or not I expect they will have the 1 seed. So if with say 2 games left in the regular season they rest Lebron or Wade they should be fined just like the Spurs correct? Just like OKC if they rest Durant correct? Or if LAL rests Kobe? Or if the NYK rest Melo?

That is an inherent aspect to late-season games. People buy tickets knowing that the game could be meaningless, or very meaningful. Nobody buys a ticket for a November game and considers that one of the teams essentially forfeit.

The NBA has always made it clear they put fan experience over almost anything. I dont always agree with it, but at least they are consistent.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 30, 2012, 11:08 PM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

That is an inherent aspect to late-season games. People buy tickets knowing that the game could be meaningless, or very meaningful. Nobody buys a ticket for a November game and considers that one of the teams essentially forfeit.

The NBA has always made it clear they put fan experience over almost anything. I dont always agree with it, but at least they are consistent.

K so when baseball players get a game off in late april or early may that are equally meaningless I should know that is ok then.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Nov 30, 2012, 11:17 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

K so when baseball players get a game off in late april or early may that are equally meaningless I should know that is ok then.

I don't watch baseball anymore, so I don't really know. I'm not sure how a player sitting out would affect a fan's experience.

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Nov 30, 2012, 11:21 PM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

I don't watch baseball anymore, so I don't really know. I'm not sure how a player sitting out would affect a fan's experience.

Same as it does in basketball....

Alex44Alex44New Member
Dec 1, 2012, 12:15 AM

"Boik14 wrote:

Same as it does in basketball....

Not really....honestly.

In baseball if you rest a starter it doesn't impact the game the same way as it does in basketball. Especially resting three starters who aren't even in the building.

If I go see a baseball game I honestly don't even care what players I see because even a team resting two or three starters can easily beat a team at full strength. The quality of game doesnt drop as dramatically.

Also SA knew they were going to do this at the start of the season. Maybe it would have been nice to say something then and not have people waste their money on tickets that were probably VERY expensive due to the match up.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

Jt0323Jt0323Staff
Dec 1, 2012, 12:33 AM

I went to a Yankee/Seattle game for the sole purpose to see Ken Griffey jr play. He was benched that day. It happens. Shouldn't fine a team for it. It's their call, not the leagues to decide who plays or doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Section126Section126Luxury Box
Dec 1, 2012, 09:56 AM

"Boik14 wrote:

Actually the no health issues part isnt really true. Green and Ginobli were battling injuries. Next time Pop should just lie I guess and say they had a 101 fever.
- Hes got an older team and he should rest them
- The purpose was to minimize the negative outcome. he could have rested Duncan 1 game, Parker the next, Ginobli the one after and finally Green but that would affect 4 games.
- If the owner who signs the paycheck has no problem with it, Stern needs to back to his corner and stop being a baby.

And the top teams do coast. He wants to add meaning to the regular season? Give them something more to play for. Or shorten the regular season so each game matters more. The reason you never see it happen in the NFL is cause its only 16 games. Baseball players get days off all the time and no one complains.

Parker is completely healthy...and he's young. he could have played. Green is 25 years old.

In the NBA there is different pricing for games. The Spurs essentially defrauded fans. Had they announced before the season that they would do that, the Heat would have priced their seats accordingly and fans would have been protected.

The only guy that you could make a legitimate case for sitting was Duncan..and that;s because he's old.

@Alf_Arteaga on Twitter
"Being a part of success is more important than being personally indispensable. .''...- Pat Riley
3 Yards per Carry on itunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/3-yards-per-carry-miami-dolphins/id1363764781?mt=2
3 Yards per Carry for Android:
https://threeyardspercarry.podbean.com/

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Dec 1, 2012, 10:25 AM

"Section126 wrote:

Parker is completely healthy...and he's young. he could have played. Green is 25 years old.

In the NBA there is different pricing for games. The Spurs essentially defrauded fans. Had they announced before the season that they would do that, the Heat would have priced their seats accordingly and fans would have been protected.

The only guy that you could make a legitimate case for sitting was Duncan..and that;s because he's old.

Greg Popovich could give two shnits about Heat fans. It's his job to make the decision and he made one.