Tom Brady coming back down to earth
29 replies
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4743/not-so-terrific-so-far-hes-been-common-tom
Based on passer rating, he ranks eighth on third down, 17th in the fourth quarter (even with that dazzling finish against the Bills), 15th in the red zone, 15th out of the shotgun, 17th on passes thrown 10 yards or shorter, 22nd on passes thrown between 11 and 20 yards and 28th on passes thrown beyond 21 yards or deeper.
Are we seeing Tom Brady start to slip, or is this just rust as he comes back from the surgery?
I for one would be completely ok with him slumping to mediocrity. I doubt it's happening, he'll probably start rebounding mid to late season, but it might be too late for this Patriot's season if he does.
Would be bittersweet to watch him decline, as Miami and New York build up their new QBs of the future. Well... bitter for Patriots fans, freaking Sweet for Dolphin and Jets fans :)
That injury has ruined many careers. Alot of guys weren't the same. Marino had a coupe decent years, but was nowhere near the same after his injury. And Daunte Culpep... Culp... sorry, I just can't say his name.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
And remember this, they have ZERO running game.
They are indeed a one trick pony, and I think that pony is about headed for the glue factory :woot:
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
That injury has ruined many careers. Alot of guys weren't the same. Marino had a coupe decent years, but was nowhere near the same after his injury. And Daunte Culpep... Culp... sorry, I just can't say his name.
On the other hand, Carson Palmer is looking pretty damn good right now.
Also, Dan's injury was not the knee like the other 3 :up:
"azfinfanmang wrote:
On the other hand, Carson Palmer is looking pretty damn good right now.
Also, Dan's injury was not the knee like the other 3 :up:
Wasn't it Dan's achilles?
And Palmer, while good this year, hasn't been the same QB IMO.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
Wasn't it Dan's achilles?
And Palmer, while good this year, hasn't been the same QB IMO.
Correct, it was Dan's achilles.
The other three all blew out their knees.
Keep in mind, although Palmer is much improved this year, it has taken him a couple of years to get bak there.
Many before the season (Many of the main stream media so-called experts) were predicting that Brady would jump right back in and the Patsies would be the team to beat.
Well, that aint the case.
Don't jinx this stuff guys. What's his passer rating?
he's at an 85.9 while Penny was at 76 something or other. He's still pretty efficient and Pats* are 4th in passing yardage.
"reports of death have been greatly exaggerated".
"Agua wrote:
Don't jinx this stuff guys. What's his passer rating?
he's at an 85.9 while Penny was at 76 something or other. He's still pretty efficient and Pats* are 4th in passing yardage.
"reports of death have been greatly exaggerated".
Well to be fair being 4th in passing yardage makes sense since they don't have any sort of running game. If teams know you can't run the ball then they're going to commit more to stop the pass.
Brady is going to win some games with that WR group; but with no rushing attack and a very mediocre defense they aren't going too far.
I would say too, that Marino proved that if that's all you got you won't win the SB.
Sal Paolantonio said teams have blitzed Brady 90 times this year, yet he's only been sacked once (on those blitzes).
This means Brady has been checking down...alot.
He said if you look at the film from the Denver game Randy Moss was wide open for a TD 3 times but Brady missed him and checked down to Welker instead.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
Brady is inaccurate, and its obvious why. His lower body still isn't back to 100% strength. He isn't planting his feet like he should. This was to be expected though. Look at Manning from last year to this year. Brady just needs time.
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
Sal Paolantonio said teams have blitzed Brady 90 times this year, yet he's only been sacked once (on those blitzes).
This means Brady has been checking down...alot.
He said if you look at the film from the Denver game Randy Moss was wide open for a TD 3 times but Brady missed him and checked down to Welker instead.
Only sacked once?
Okay, I can't argue that I guess, however, I know he certainly got knocked down quite a bit against the Jills.
I also remember Vonnie getting a sack last week for sure
I would be very very surprised that Tammy has only been sacked once.
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Brady is inaccurate, and its obvious why. His lower body still isn't back to 100% strength. He isn't planting his feet like he should. This was to be expected though. Look at Manning from last year to this year. Brady just needs time.
Well, he certainly already has plenty of reps in.
He has already thrown 207 passes through 5 games. On this pace, he is looking at close to 700 passes this season.
Also, he has indeed been sacked 5 times :up:
EDIT:
Keep in mind, obviously the more passes, the more opportunity to get knocked down. Couldn't happen to a more deserving smug-asshat IMO.
Also, Matt Light and probably Stephen Neal are projected as out, at least for the Titans game. Could be another long day for Tammy
"azfinfanmang wrote:
Well, he certainly already has plenty of reps in.
He has already thrown 207 passes through 5 games. On this pace, he is looking at close to 700 passes this season.
Also, he has indeed been sacked 5 times :up:EDIT:
Keep in mind, obviously the more passes, the more opportunity to get knocked down. Couldn't happen to a more deserving smug-asshat IMO.
Also, Matt Light and probably Stephen Neal are projected as out, at least for the Titans game. Could be another long day for Tammy
It could also be just what an 0-5 Titans team needs to break that losing streak.
Bummer for the poor Pats................
"azfinfanmang wrote:
Only sacked once?
Okay, I can't argue that I guess, however, I know he certainly got knocked down quite a bit against the Jills.
I also remember Vonnie getting a sack last week for sure
I would be very very surprised that Tammy has only been sacked once.
Only sacked once on blitzes. Not overall.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
Only sacked once on blitzes. Not overall.
Yep, my bad. I mis-read your post. :up:
"Stringer Bell wrote:
Brady is inaccurate, and its obvious why. His lower body still isn't back to 100% strength. He isn't planting his feet like he should. This was to be expected though. Look at Manning from last year to this year. Brady just needs time.
My feelings too. Brady is NOT connecting with Moss on those bombs this year. He's still worried about that knee and not planting so his passes are sailing. My guess is that he won't be the same before sometime next year if ever.:wink2:

This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

I can recall saying this during the offseason, I can recall several people saying Brady will need time to comeback from such a serious knee injury.
The Pundits just ignored it,.
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
That injury has ruined many careers. Alot of guys weren't the same. Marino had a coupe decent years, but was nowhere near the same after his injury. And Daunte Culpep... Culp... sorry, I just can't say his name.
Dolfan Stan will fight you to the death.
"padre31 wrote:
I can recall saying this during the offseason, I can recall several people saying Brady will need time to comeback from such a serious knee injury.
The Pundits just ignored it,.
Tawmmy can do no wrong, neither can the Sanchize.
Yes I hate myself for calling him that.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.
"padre31 wrote:
I can recall saying this during the offseason, I can recall several people saying Brady will need time to comeback from such a serious knee injury.
The Pundits just ignored it,.
Yep. Apparently Brady was going to come back and lead the Patriots to an easy 14-2 record winning the Superbowl easily.

Marino did have an insane 1994 season after being out the year before. Of course the decline started but that was when his shoulder gave out, his knee injury wasnt as serious.
"FinSane wrote:
Marino did have an insane 1994 season after being out the year before. Of course the decline started but that was when his shoulder gave out, his knee injury wasnt as serious.
His Knee injury?
I dont recall Dan ever having a knee injury?
Yup Brady is back to earth.. However he is orbiting the earth ALA 2007.
345 yards and 5 TD's in the first half against the Titans. The Patsies are getting better every week.. Our pass D better improve.. Or it may wind up looking like the shootout last year that we lost at home with Cassell under center.
"azfinfanmang wrote:
His Knee injury?
I dont recall Dan ever having a knee injury?
achilles injury i mean.
"Bumrush wrote:
Yup Brady is back to earth.. However he is orbiting the earth ALA 2007.
345 yards and 5 TD's in the first half against the Titans. The Patsies are getting better every week.. Our pass D better improve.. Or it may wind up looking like the shootout last year that we lost at home with Cassell under center.
Titans are dead last in pass coverage for a reason.

