Tua is not the Problem
7076 repliesLocked
"brandon27 wrote:
I don't know, I kind of got the impression he was rushing and wasn't comfortable. Like he was a bit "afraid" back there. Not the right word choice probably, but he just seemed on edge, in a hurry. I know he said he wants to get the ball out quicker and make quicker decisions to avoid taking hits, but it really felt like that led to a rush in his mechanics and release to get it out quicker and it resulted in a real hit in his usually good accuracy.
Maybe it was rust from lack of practice and game time over the last 24 days or whatever it was, but it sure didn't look like the Tua we saw before the Cincy game. He looked alot more like rookie and last year Tua yesterday. Hope it's just some rust and an adjustment, but who knows, could also be something that lingers a while till he takes a shot back there and pops back up. Maybe that was his goal putting his head down on those runs, just to take some hits and try and get comfortable. Not the first time we've seen him run like that even prior to the concussions this year, but he's got to be smarter than that too. Hopefully this is just some rust that wears off, but after those hits/concussions and all the attention surrounding it who knows it he's able to shake that uncomfortable feeling.
I disagree I thought he looked pretty comfortable in the pocket, even escaping pressure a couple of times. His accuracy and timing was definitely off all night, I'm going to attribute that to rust.
"brandon27 wrote:
I don't know, I kind of got the impression he was rushing and wasn't comfortable. Like he was a bit "afraid" back there. Not the right word choice probably, but he just seemed on edge, in a hurry. I know he said he wants to get the ball out quicker and make quicker decisions to avoid taking hits, but it really felt like that led to a rush in his mechanics and release to get it out quicker and it resulted in a real hit in his usually good accuracy.
Maybe it was rust from lack of practice and game time over the last 24 days or whatever it was, but it sure didn't look like the Tua we saw before the Cincy game. He looked alot more like rookie and last year Tua yesterday. Hope it's just some rust and an adjustment, but who knows, could also be something that lingers a while till he takes a shot back there and pops back up. Maybe that was his goal putting his head down on those runs, just to take some hits and try and get comfortable. Not the first time we've seen him run like that even prior to the concussions this year, but he's got to be smarter than that too. Hopefully this is just some rust that wears off, but after those hits/concussions and all the attention surrounding it who knows it he's able to shake that uncomfortable feeling.
To me, it looked a like he was trying to make his reads quicker, so he was rushing his throws. He was locking in on receivers, which he hadn't done before his injury. Coach told him to make quick reads and either get rid of the ball or go down without struggling. I'm hoping he'll take a page out of last year's performance by moving the pocket before it collapses, but rushing the throws isn't going to be effective.
After watching the break down of film it was combo of a few bad throws and wide receivers not running the right routes and a few not called holding/pass interference calls.
Then some drops.
Tua played a fine game. Not his best, but not as bad as people want to make it out to be.
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
FORTY EIGHT-YEARS since the Dolphins won a Super Bowl. But now, the team has a QB that's 24 years old, a winner, 4-0 this season (incl beating Buffalo, the fav to win it all) and his teammates love him.
Yet, so much dissatisfaction.
It's as if the last 48-years never existed.
A few of the Phin fans deserve another 48.
"Hank1 wrote:
FORTY EIGHT-YEARS since the Dolphins won a Super Bowl. But now, the team has a QB that's 24 years old, a winner, 4-0 this season (incl beating Buffalo, the fav to win it all) and his teammates love him.
Yet, so much dissatisfaction.
It's as if the last 48-years never existed.
A few of the Phin fans deserve another 48.
I mean, that's a really REALLY one-sided take.
The other side of that take is that there are serious concerns about Tua and his physical viability long-term. That, and the struggles he continues to have when teams are able to stop the passes over the middle of the field.
"StaleTacos wrote:
Tua looked like hot ***. One read QB who panics when 1st read taken away. About 4 should have been interceptions. Throws were all over the place. Well underthrown deep pass to Tyreek. No arm. No ability to throw to sidelines. He's no savior. He's a backup in this league who was drafted far too high.
Kinda blows my mind people can watch the 4 games he’s played this season and come to the conclusion that Tua is a backup at best, especially after watching backups play this season. It makes me wonder just what they are watching and what they expect a starting QB to do.
It certainly wasn’t his best game this year and his usual deadly accuracy was off a bit but we still had plenty of drops in the game and I noticed Tyreek twice slow down coming out of his breaks for some reason that meant it looked like Tua led him too much. Maybe rust with his time off, maybe he was trying to get the ball out quicker to avoid hits.
Not a great game but not terrible either. If that’s his floor this season then we will win a lot of games.
"KeyFin wrote:
His typical accuracy just wasn't there. Yes, he delivered catchable balls all night long, but he missed so many by being a foot too high, two feet too far in front of the receiver, a foot behind the receiver, etc. That's not typical Tua and I'd guess it's just from the three weeks off.
I also didn't like that he was running the ball and not sliding. It's great that he's a competitor and not afraid of taking hits....maybe that's why he tried to bulldoze a few people, to prove to himself that he's okay. But good gosh, he can't keep taking those kinds of risks.
Looked to me like he was rusty as heck from the 3 weeks off. He was clearly not as accurate as he normally is and I said as much to my son in the 1st quarter. We'll see as he gets more reps but I think he will be fine. His accuracy has always been one of his strengths.
Far more concerned with our DB's than the Offense or Tua.
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
"Tin Indian wrote:
Looked to me like he was rusty as heck from the 3 weeks off. He was clearly not as accurate as he normally is and I said as much to my son in the 1st quarter. We'll see as he gets more reps but I think he will be fine. His accuracy has always been one of his strengths.
Far more concerned with our DB's than the Offense or Tua.
I sort of like that we're working the backup DB's and giving them some quality playing time. Iggy sealing the game was a massive victory in itself...those kids need confidence and the feeling that they can come off the bench and actually belong.
Hopefully we have our starting corners back and healthy soon- that alone will make a massive difference. But for now, I see it as "just good enough to win" is actually a really good problem to have.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
The offense without him was bad. The offense with him is good. The team has more energy with him. His teammates even say this. Stop dismissing it. Hes the teams leader and our qb.
fooball.
futbol.
hockey.
"Vinny Fins wrote:
The offense without him was bad. The offense with him is good. The team has more energy with him. His teammates even say this. Stop dismissing it. Hes the teams leader and our qb.
The offense is good with him? Have you seen other teams offenses?
I agree his teammates love him.
Lord help us.
"dolphin25 wrote:
The offense is good with him? Have you seen other teams offenses?
I agree his teammates love him.
Yes, Tua moves the ball in this offense. The Dolphins are top 10 in yards. Hopefully, they start putting points on the board. Now is the time to get rolling.
"dolphin25 wrote:
Have you seen other teams offenses?
There are probably only 3 or 4 offenses that have looked fairly consistently good. More bad football than ever.
"Tin Indian wrote:
Looked to me like he was rusty as heck from the 3 weeks off. He was clearly not as accurate as he normally is and I said as much to my son in the 1st quarter. We'll see as he gets more reps but I think he will be fine. His accuracy has always been one of his strengths.
Far more concerned with our DB's than the Offense or Tua.
I’m just hoping the coaching staff doesn’t become “helicopter parents” and have him stop being him.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
Yes, Tua moves the ball in this offense. The Dolphins are top 10 in yards. Hopefully, they start putting points on the board. Now is the time to get rolling.
Top 10 yet Tua was out for 3 games.
Lord help us.
"dolphin25 wrote:
Top 10 yet Tua was out for 3 games.
And we all seen the offense without him.
"Silverphin wrote:
And we all seen the offense without him.
Take out the 4th quarter of the Ravens game were 20% of our points have been scored and what is the difference?
Lord help us.
"dolphin25 wrote:
Take out the 4th quarter of the Ravens game were 20% of our points have been scored and what is the difference?
The difference is 3-4 vs 4-3.
"dolphin25 wrote:
Take out the 4th quarter of the Ravens game were 20% of our points have been scored and what is the difference?
I surely hope I’m not mis-reading your post but it if I’m not, this is astonishing.
Tua leads us back with a phenomenal 4th quarter comeback against the Ravens…many were excited…ecstatic that he may certainly be becoming the quarterback we hoped he would be and her, this post sure sounds a lot like the same old fodder against him…
“Yea, but take away that one 4th quarter and…insert criticism here.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I surely hope I’m not mis-reading your post but it if I’m not, this is astonishing.
Tua leads us back with a phenomenal 4th quarter comeback against the Ravens…many were excited…ecstatic that he may certainly be becoming the quarterback we hoped he would be and her, this post sure sounds a lot like the same old fodder against him…
“Yea, but take away that one 4th quarter and…insert criticism here.
The criticism is lack of concistency. Yes he had a great 4th quarter against the ravens when they decided to leave their corners on an island with no deep help against hill, but aside from that 4th quarter Tua has just been average. We need to see elite play on a more consistent basis even against tough defensive play, and he also needs to stay on the field more concistantly.
"Springveldt wrote:
Kinda blows my mind people can watch the 4 games he’s played this season and come to the conclusion that Tua is a backup at best, especially after watching backups play this season. It makes me wonder just what they are watching and what they expect a starting QB to do.
It certainly wasn’t his best game this year and his usual deadly accuracy was off a bit but we still had plenty of drops in the game and I noticed Tyreek twice slow down coming out of his breaks for some reason that meant it looked like Tua led him too much. Maybe rust with his time off, maybe he was trying to get the ball out quicker to avoid hits.
Not a great game but not terrible either. If that’s his floor this season then we will win a lot of games.
No. We really won't win a lot of games if he plays like that. The Steelers are a very bad team. Tua played like shi*. They should have had a number of interceptions. The defense dominated. You can't count on that when you play good teams.
Here's the offense outside of the Baltimore game including backup QBs:
13 points vs NE
21 vs the Bills
15 vs Bengals
17 vs the Jets
16 vs Vikings
16 vs Steelers
The Baltimore 4th quarter explosion is looking like a mighty outlier with a lot of Baltimore players missing that game.
If he fails to get a deal done with Tua I'm joining the call for "Grier has to go". -cbrad
The "he should have had interceptions" narrative is lazy.
Every quarterback throws passes that "should have been" intercepted every game. Even the great Herbert this weekend had an easy pick six dropped against Seattle.
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
The "he should have had interceptions" narrative is lazy.
Every quarterback throws passes that "should have been" intercepted every game. Even the great Herbert this weekend had an easy pick six dropped against Seattle.
Well, Herbert is missing his receivers and playing with bruised ribs.
Huh... Does that sound oddly familiar? :huh:
"OwesOwn614 wrote:
Well, Herbert is missing his receivers and playing with bruised ribs.
Huh... Does that sound oddly familiar? :huh:
Yeah, this doesn't appear in the 30 second highlights...
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:Yeah, this doesn't appear in the 30 second highlights...
Nooo! That must be a deep fake. Who edited Herbert's uniform on Tua in that clip?
This thread is locked.