Tua is not the Problem

7076 repliesLocked

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Feb 22, 2022, 04:28 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

All I could think of watching that video was, "He almost hit that poor dog! What kind of jerk throws a medicine ball at a fluffy white dog?"

LOL, that's my overreaction of the week folks!

That dog looked like a background NPC.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Feb 22, 2022, 05:44 PM

"pumpdogs wrote:

Lol!Kind of like the few times we actually made the made playoffs.
Just like another wasted sat or sun.

Yeah exactly. How nice have the last two playoff games been? How nice is it to say "We made the playoffs!" And then to hear "You clearly didn't deserve to be in them playoffs. Who cares."

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Feb 22, 2022, 06:19 PM

Kind of silly to compare Tua and Tannehill. Both are middle tier QBs that will likely never move into that top bin. But, in the middle bin, your impact is going to change year to year depending on the talent around the QB and health of their respective teams. M McDaniel went to NFC championship with Garapolo. that's your ceiling for 2nd tier QBs. Tua was below average - that's what you get when your offensive team around your 2nd tier QB sucks.

testing

FIFirelandForum Veteran
Feb 22, 2022, 10:09 PM

"Ohio Fanatic wrote:

Kind of silly to compare Tua and Tannehill. Both are middle tier QBs that will likely never move into that top bin. But, in the middle bin, your impact is going to change year to year depending on the talent around the QB and health of their respective teams. M McDaniel went to NFC championship with Garapolo. that's your ceiling for 2nd tier QBs. Tua was below average - that's what you get when your offensive team around your 2nd tier QB sucks.

To be fair they also went to the SB with him and very easily could have won that.

The ceiling is still win a SB its just a whole lot harder

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 2, 2022, 05:26 PM

LOL! Tua may be A problem. But if you want to know what THE problem is, I'd suggest it's a GM who can't assess QBs.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 01:08 PM

Sounds like Mando wanted to engage in some "gotcha" journalism in order to make his name heard during the accelerating offseason news cycle.

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 02:42 PM

"I can't say he can't be"...WTF kind of statement is that?!

LMFAO!!! What a f___ing idiot!

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 03:15 PM

"The G Man wrote:

"I can't say he can't be"...WTF kind of statement is that?!

LMFAO!!! What a f___ing idiot!

To be fair, it was totally taken out of context. Mando tried to catch an attribution. Some reporters tossed it out to chum the water.

“I can’t say he can’t be," Grier said. "It’s in a situation now where this will be built around his skill set and what the offense can be and Mike’s vision of how he fits. So,I wouldn’t say he can’t be. It’s too early. He’s played 20 games maybe. The first year was in and out and missing games this year, but I know he’s won games even this last year, and it’s hard to win games in this league.

"I know people want to say he doesn’t throw the ball downfield, but he’s incredibly accurate, and that’s the real exciting part for Mike and the coaching staff, his accuracy.

“I will say Mike and the offensive staff watched every game, every throw and put together this tape of the roster, and it was pretty cool," Grier said. "Mike’s vision for how Tua fits into this scheme and what he can do, they’re all very excited about it.

"So, I think at the end of the day, probably Tua is going to have to come in and work with him and do it on the field, but right now there’s a very good comfort level with how they feel he fits into what Mike wants to do with our offense."

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/miami-dolphins-gm-chris-grier-stamps-tua-as-starter-and-shuts-down-watson-talk

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 03:17 PM

"The G Man wrote:

"I can't say he can't be"...WTF kind of statement is that?!

LMFAO!!! What a f___ing idiot!

I thought it was funny. I guess some people don't have a sense of humor

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

The G ManThe G ManForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 03:57 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I thought it was funny. I guess some people don't have a sense of humor

Sense of humor (or a lack thereof) doesn't have anything to do with it.

He either can, or he can't be _____. You can fill in the blank with what ever superlative you want (i.g., elite, franchise, upper-echelon, whatever).

As the GM that selected him over the better prospect [cough-Herbert-cough], I would expect Grier to say "Yes!". And, not just "yes", but an emphatic YES! Tua CAN be elite (whether he really believes it or not)! Instead we get some kind word salad double-talk?

And, you can say taken out of context all you want, but IMO it just shows how the most important thing to Grier is covering his own butt. Because he knows if Tua busts it's his a__ that's on the line.

/end rant.

http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 04:23 PM

Ryan Clark just ripped through Tua's upside on ESPN's NFL Live. Let's hope he's wrong.

Serpico JonesSerpico JonesForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 04:45 PM

Tua is a smaller Samoan version of Jay Fiedler. He’s a game manager.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 06:37 PM

"Serpico Jones wrote:

Tua is a smaller Samoan version of Jay Fiedler. He’s a game manager.

Good comparison. They are listed one inch and eight pounds apart.

There was also a game manager in the Super Bowl this year. Let's see what he can do in a more creative offense with better coaching.

Edit: NFC Championship and Super Bowl a few years ago.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 06:42 PM

"The G Man wrote:

Sense of humor (or a lack thereof) doesn't have anything to do with it.

He either can, or he can't be _____. You can fill in the blank with what ever superlative you want (i.g., elite, franchise, upper-echelon, whatever).

As the GM that selected him over the better prospect [cough-Herbert-cough], I would expect Grier to say "Yes!". And, not just "yes", but an emphatic YES! Tua CAN be elite (whether he really believes it or not)! Instead we get some kind word salad double-talk?

And, you can say taken out of context all you want, but IMO it just shows how the most important thing to Grier is covering his own butt. Because he knows if Tua busts it's his a__ that's on the line.

/end rant.

I guess, but I have a sense of humor

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 06:42 PM

"Serpico Jones wrote:

Tua is a smaller Samoan version of Jay Fiedler. He’s a game manager.

and a much stronger arm.

Fielder couldn't throw an out pass.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 06:49 PM
OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 10:35 PM
FIFirelandForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 10:39 PM

"Serpico Jones wrote:

Tua is a smaller Samoan version of Jay Fiedler. He’s a game manager.

That the most cruel thing anyone has said about Tua in this whole thread

Serpico JonesSerpico JonesForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 11:10 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

and a much stronger arm.

Fielder couldn't throw an out pass.

Neither can Tua.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 3, 2022, 11:48 PM

"Serpico Jones wrote:

Neither can Tua.

That is false.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Mar 4, 2022, 06:58 AM
"OwesOwn614 wrote:

Reading this made me think of something that hasn’t crossed my mind in a while…sometimes we all get caught up in the petty arguments that we can’t see the trees for the forest.

Going back a few years…when the Dolphins drafted Tannehill, what was their plan? What was it about Tannehill the Dolphins liked and what was their plan to build the offense around him? Did they even consider any of this or was the organization simply “yay, we drafted a good quarterback?”

Same thing with Tagovailoa. What was their plan? What was it about him they liked and did they try to build the offense around his talents…or did they simply say “yay we drafted a good quarterback?”

You have to go all the way back to the 83 draft when the Dolphins drafted a quarterback in the 1st round in Marino. That was pretty blatantly obvious. The team was good. They had just went to the Super Bowl. Woodley just couldn’t quite cut the mustard and the team needed a better quarterback and they really lucked out with Marino. The team was built with HIS skills sets already in place. Great line, great receivers decent running game and a stout defense.

When Miami drafted Tannehill and Tagovailoa, the team wasn’t already built for each of these players and it certainly appears to me the organization never really made any effort to bring in the surrounding talent both needed to be able to be instantly successful.

Hopefully McDaniel is going to be able to persuade the organization to do what it’s not done in years…build the actual team

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

JJ_79JJ_79Forum Veteran
Mar 4, 2022, 10:07 AM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Reading this made me think of something that hasn’t crossed my mind in a while…sometimes we all get caught up in the petty arguments that we can’t see the trees for the forest.

Going back a few years…when the Dolphins drafted Tannehill, what was their plan? What was it about Tannehill the Dolphins liked and what was their plan to build the offense around him? Did they even consider any of this or was the organization simply “yay, we drafted a good quarterback?”

Same thing with Tagovailoa. What was their plan? What was it about him they liked and did they try to build the offense around his talents…or did they simply say “yay we drafted a good quarterback?”

You have to go all the way back to the 83 draft when the Dolphins drafted a quarterback in the 1st round in Marino. That was pretty blatantly obvious. The team was good. They had just went to the Super Bowl. Woodley just couldn’t quite cut the mustard and the team needed a better quarterback and they really lucked out with Marino. The team was built with HIS skills sets already in place. Great line, great receivers decent running game and a stout defense.

When Miami drafted Tannehill and Tagovailoa, the team wasn’t already built for each of these players and it certainly appears to me the organization never really made any effort to bring in the surrounding talent both needed to be able to be instantly successful.

Hopefully McDaniel is going to be able to persuade the organization to do what it’s not done in years…build the actual team

They tried, they just piked up the wrong pieces and had bad coaching + bad management...

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 4, 2022, 03:45 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Reading this made me think of something that hasn’t crossed my mind in a while…sometimes we all get caught up in the petty arguments that we can’t see the trees for the forest.

Going back a few years…when the Dolphins drafted Tannehill, what was their plan? What was it about Tannehill the Dolphins liked and what was their plan to build the offense around him? Did they even consider any of this or was the organization simply “yay, we drafted a good quarterback?”

Same thing with Tagovailoa. What was their plan? What was it about him they liked and did they try to build the offense around his talents…or did they simply say “yay we drafted a good quarterback?”

You have to go all the way back to the 83 draft when the Dolphins drafted a quarterback in the 1st round in Marino. That was pretty blatantly obvious. The team was good. They had just went to the Super Bowl. Woodley just couldn’t quite cut the mustard and the team needed a better quarterback and they really lucked out with Marino. The team was built with HIS skills sets already in place. Great line, great receivers decent running game and a stout defense.

When Miami drafted Tannehill and Tagovailoa, the team wasn’t already built for each of these players and it certainly appears to me the organization never really made any effort to bring in the surrounding talent both needed to be able to be instantly successful.

Hopefully McDaniel is going to be able to persuade the organization to do what it’s not done in years…build the actual team

Love this post, Bruh. Too many times, players are drafted to plug and play in situations that aren't optimal for them. Tannehill was a QB who was converted from WR and obviously had years of developmental growth ahead. The team should have focused heavily on scheming to his strengths and putting players in place to make that scheme work. I don't know what we did specifically to cater to his strengths or consider his brevity of experience as a QB. I'm not saying we did nothing; I'm saying we clearly didn't do enough. I see the same situation for Tua right now. By the way, the Chargers probably didn't do what they could to help Brees succeed. I submit, had Eli not been a derp, losing Brees would have been a colossal failure, so it's good they eventually finagled Philip Rivers. Both Manning and Rivers found themselves in optimal situations.

The thing that amazes me about the fans who are ready to move on from Tua is the fact that it's not as easy to find the right guy as they're pretending. You'd think we would have learned that after 20+ years of being unable to do it. I like hearing McDaniel talk about Tua, not because I think he has the answers but because I think he at least has a logical approach toward coaching to his quarterback's strengths. I earnestly believe that 20% of draft failures could have succeeded if they just found the right team. And I have a suspicion that if we had another year of Godsey/Studesville, Tua would be at best the player he was this past season. If the team follows up with what we've heard the past couple of weeks and Tua fails to make the leap, it's probably best that he find his path forward with another team.

It's going to be a long offseason because I can't wait to see what gets unwrapped and rolled out when exhibition season begins.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 8, 2022, 01:39 AM
HIhitman8Forum Veteran
Mar 10, 2022, 01:44 PM
"OwesOwn614 wrote:

What exactly is the point of posting this nonsense stat with no context? Do you seriously think Tua is as good at throwing long as Herbert? Do you know this is based on 14 of 29 passes with only 1 TD for tua, and 31 of 64 with 9 TDs for Herbert?

Are you aware that Tua only throws long when it's a busted coverage or his man is wide open?

This thread is locked.