1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UCF FINatic's Weight Loss Diary

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by UCF FINatic, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Doing great man. Your hardwork and dedication is paying off!

I do have a question though... What kind of body fortress whey are you using? Does it say super advanced? Look at the bottle for the word creatine. I ask because I recently found out that some body fortress whey protein brands (super advanced) contain Creatine. Creatine is an awesome supplement as it helps direct water into the muscles (which are 70% water). This helps with healing and growth... It is truly one of the best supplements out there. Hell, the entire supplement industry is founded on it.

One "side effect" is water retention... As we've talked about, water weight affects the scale. Maybe that's a reason why you had a pretty good jump in weight loss. Perhaps your maintenance is higher than 2700 cals, and you've not experienced bigger loss on the scales as your body was losing fat but withholding water and masking true loss. And now that you're saturated (takes 3-4 weeks), your fat loss numbers might more like 3 lbs every week at 1700 cals. Possibly why you've said you look better but the scale hasn't been as reflective of it.

So def. check the label and get back to me.

Insomnia: Most people have this on a diet. There's a number of explanations as to why this is. I have this at times too. I've delt with this in two different ways.

1. Carbs before bed. I would recommend taking a good dosage of carbs before bed on an empty stomach. I use fat free (it must be fat free because fat slows absorption) milk and some Hershey's chocolate syrup. Since the protein in milk is already in liquid form, it will not really hinder the speed of absorption. This will help release serotonin, which will make you sleepier. Also, you get some protein (I think 8g in one 1 cup(8oz)), and calcium. Calcium is good for a number of different things, but very important when dieting as it is an electrolyte (potassium, sodium, etc...).

2. Magnesium: Magnesium is one of the more common mineral deficiencies we have (also an electrolyte). Does lot's of good things and you can't really have too much. In fact, at high dosing it is thought by some to help depression (NMDA antagonist). One of many good things mag. does is help sleep. You could go to the store and get chelated magnesium supplements very cheaply. In my area, it's like 4 bucks for a bottle. I think they're like 1000 mg or something. the recommended daily value is like 400 or something.

Don't do 1 AND 2. Pick one of them. Calcium is antagonist to magnesium as far as absorption goes. If I were you, I'd try #2 first, as magnesium has 0 calories, so that means less juggling. Plus it gives you a whole bunch of benefits.

If #2 doesn't work after one week, try #1. If both don't work, let me know. I have other solutions I've read about (although no anecdotal experience with).

goodjobman.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, what is your thinking on Carbs before bed CLk?

Personally I think that will spike insulin and lead to fat retention w/is why I prefer protein (in the form of almonds etc) that also helps with uhm.."expulsion" the next morning as a lot of protein rich food will lead to slow BM's so more fiber is required.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  3. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Nah, carbs/protein/fats are all good at anytime of day or night brah. Late night carb eating (or eating at night in general) is a myth.

Anytime you you eat calories, it technically stores as fat. For example, if your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) was 3000 calories, and you eat 2000 calories, that 2000 calories is technically stored as fat (carbs are kind of the exception, because if your glycogen is low, it's simply partitioned into the muscle and skips the process of fat storage, but that's really not relevant for this discussion).

However, because your eating at a deficit, your body is burning that 2000 calories worth of fat asap, along with an extra 1000 calories worth of fat to meet the requirements of the deficit and reach energy balance.

2000 calories consumed + 1000 calories calories stored fat = 3000 calories burned to meet TDEE of 3000 calories. If done over a period of 7 days, that's 2lbs worth of fat lost.

In the end, late night carb eating is irrelevant. In fact, it may be good for you according to Martin Berkhan. As long as you hit your caloric goals...
    http://www.leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html full article. Can dig up a bunch more if you want.

UCF FINatic and gunn34 like this.
  4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Ironically, I think I have noticed that I have been a little bit more hungry than usual the past couple of days. I have been able to curb this by strictly keeping track of my calories though. Simply put if I don't have the calories I don't eat it. Also I have been having a good amount of pudding towards the end of the night just because its usually pretty low calorie and I have left over calories for it.

Most of the "sugar" that I do have is artificial sugar. Hopefully, my body doesn't use that for energy instead of my fat when I do eat it...

Thanks again for all of your advice, it has worked wonders!

5. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Sorry for the late reply; I had a 13 hour work day yesterday :sad:

I use the normal Body Fortress not the Super Advanced formula (mostly because the protein content was about the same and it was a bit more expensive). Would you recommend I switch over to the Super Advanced Body Fortress? I haven't had that much of a problem being sore now that I have been switching up my hard and light workout dates. If the creatine is worth paying more just let me know and I can switch over to that in the future.

I've never heard of magnesium to help sleep, but I have some melatonin that I normally use. I've had sleeping problems in the past (they seem to come and go), but melatonin usually helps me out. I might give magnesium a try as well though. I don't want to get in the habit of eating before sleep because, honestly, that's a big reason I got fat. I realized I would always fall asleep easily after a big meal and would eat a lot in order to get to sleep. I am going to try to stay away from that cycle.

Thanks again for all your help and advice! I really appreciate it! :knucks:

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In my experience, that is completely reversed, a hard boiled egg or two and the next morning I'll find I've either maintained, or lost weight, if I have carbs such as hash browns or pasta I'll find I've hit a temporary weight spike.

And by all means do dig up more, in my view the idea is to keep an even insulin level or one that barely moves even in non diabetics such as myself.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  7. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Will do. At the moment, I'm pretty much working non stop this week until monday. I'll have some time tomorrow mourning/afternoon. I'll post a ton peer reviewed studies and articles from nutritional academics for you.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  8. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Random Question of the day:

Is a push up a push up?

Now, what I am asking here is this; does it matter how many push ups you do or how you do them (not form-wise, but rather rep and set-wise).

For instance, say Person A does 10 sets of 10 push ups and he completes all of them (100 total push ups) in say 30 minutes. On the other hand, Person B does 10 sets of 10 push ups randomly throughout the day (again he completes the same 100 total push ups) and it takes him like 10 hours since he spaced them out so much. At the end of the day do both people burn the same amount of calories and get the same benefits or does one person get better results.

Thanks in advance!

9. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    MINI Update 4.5
    Total Weight Loss: 8 pounds
    Weight Lost since Sunday's weigh-in: 0 pounds
    Starting Weight: 216
    Current Weight: 208

Thoughts: It's funny how things work out, I lost 3.5 pounds last week and haven't lost a single pound this week. I messed my diet up more than I thought yesterday (stupid panera danish and scone), but other than that I haven't done anything else bad since Saturday when I had pizza. Well, I guess there is nothing I can do now but keep moving forward with this plan. I am heading home to spend time with my girlfriend, parents, grandparents, and friends but I plan on keeping a tight watch on what I eat (which is hard to do in an Italian family). Overall, I just wish weight loss was linear and not as sporadic as it seems.

10. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    I would think no. If 100 pushups is done within 1/2 hour vs. 10 hours, then you burned more calories as a result of doing pushups with an elevated heart rate. If every time you did a set within the 30 min, your heart rate returned to base line before the PU, then I would assume yes. It would all be equal. Not really sure how to give a good answer for this one UCF. So my best guess would be to think of it like running. Running burns more calories because it makes your heart rate elevated over the course of X amount of time.

EDIT: You just weighed in. You could be with holding water weight or gained additional water weight from the extra carbs, especially if they were eaten the day before a weigh in. Don't be a slave to the scale. We've talked about the reasons before.

Also, be more diligent in counting. If you put it in your mouth, you should know what its calorie/macro content is. You shouldn't have to guess whether or not you ate too many calories from pizza/scones/snacks/etc... You should know whether or not this is the case. If not, you're flying blind and potentially spinning wheels. As I said... Could be water weight and no big deal, but it could be that you went ham on some high calorie foods and screwed up previous days worth of work. I don't know because you don't know. As with all things, disregard the past and get diligent on the present.

I'd like to see you get back to posting your food log w/calorie and macro's daily as oppose to weekly (and with only calorie/macro information). Your thread and all, but I think that would help you and us in directing. Don't just edit the OP, simply create a new reply everyday with that days worth on info.

Padre: I apologize for the delay. I'll get you more when I have time (monday is my first day off in a while). In the meantime, here are studies and sites linked with studies for you to look at.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/55/2/35...ce&volume=55&firstpage=350&resourcetype=HWCIT
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0804748
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16629877

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
    http://www.thefatlossbible.net/They_Are_All_Mad.pdf (chapter 3, page 88 I believe)
    http://anthonycolpo.com/?p=94
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/06/malcolm-gladwell-on-low-carb-diets.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2009/02/low-carb-talibans.html
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/insulin-weight-loss.htm

UCF FINatic likes this.
  11. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Good point about the working out compared to time. Since I workout at home sometimes I put on a show like The League and complete a full set and then watch 5 minutes of the show and then complete another set. While it was the same sets and reps as before it seemed less strenuous so I kind of liked it, that being said I could see how heart rate plays a role in working out like you mentioned. I think I will get back to working out and only listening to music like I previously did.

I know I should know exactly how much macros and calories every foot item that I put in my mouth is, but sometimes I find it challenging. The pizza place I went to the last couple of times was a Mom and Pop shop that didn't have a nutritional guide (as far as I know). Additionally, it can be challenging when work brings in catered food from like Moe's because since we serve ourselves the portion size may be off compared to their usual sizes. When I go home to my parents house they make a lot of homemade food and I have a hard time gauging the nutritional value. That being said, I will be more diligent in this regard because "flying blind" is not very effective and sometimes even stresses me out a bit.

I have logged almost everyday of my diet, by editing the previous weeks review (where it says my weekly calories, macros, and workout log). I am not sure if you noticed that or if you knew of that so I am just pointing that out. I do like your idea of posting a new post everyday with my daily totals. It would probably be easier for you all to see and would probably be quicker for me to do. With that being said:

Update
    Total Weight Loss: 8 pounds
    Weight Lost Since Previous Weigh-in: 0.5 pounds
    Current Weight: 208

Thoughts
    I am actually happy that I stayed about the same weight. I ate well Friday (met my calorie intake, macros, working out, etc.) but am too lazy to go back and post everything I did that day. That being said, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday where like a free-for-all for me. I went back home and visited my family and grandparents and can clearly see how easy it is to gain weight in an Italian household. For one meal we had pasta and meatballs; knowing pasta wasn't the best idea for me I tried to just eat meatballs, yet my family "forced" me to eat a little pasta. I continued to eat good the other days with little to no regard of my diet (I did limit my portions and tried not to eat horribly) including fried chicken, cookies, ice cream, buffalo burger, french fries, etc. Additionally, I didn't keep up with my workouts. I easily was expecting to weigh in two pounds heavier after a weekend like that but I actually stayed about the same weight. If anything it looked like I lost a little bit of weight (I looked closer to 207.5 than 208). I guess I could attribute losing weight to eating less overall than my caloric output, but it was surprising.

7/17/12
    Food
    Clif Bar - White Chocolate Macadamia Nut
    Cabot Greek Style Low-Fat Vanilla Yogurt
    2 servings of Body Fortress Chocolate Protein Shake
    Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl
    Exercise
    Burpees - 80
    Jumping Jacks - 600
    Push Ups - 80
    Push Ups on Knees - 110
    Squats - 110
    8 Minute Arms
    8 Minute Arms

7/17/12Totals:
    Calories - 1555
    Protein - 136g
    Fat - 47g
    Carbs - 166g
    Notes: Funny but my workout seemed a lot harder than usual and I felt weaker than usual while doing it. I bet this could be to my crazy eating over the weekend and my lack of protein. I just found it funny because usually when I take a day (or two) off my workout seems a lot easier that following day. Whatever it was I pushed through my workout and got it done. I ate the right amount of protein and calories, so hopefully my body is back to normal by Thursday (when my next hard workout day is scheduled).

PS- Again, thank you guys for helping me get this far! I really appreciate it and couldn't do it without your help :up:

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The ajcn link is to a .pdf that my browser did not handle well

-
    Hmm, I'd thought our discussion was about carbs late at night not at dinner?

This study suggests that "diet" does not work very well in the long run regardless of what their food intake looks like which seems to me to suggest personal motivation is a far more important a factor in maintaining a healthy weight.

Sorry tho C2K, I'm not going to click on every link for a couple of reasons:

-my take on the studies outcome is different from yours, personal motivation trumps diet composition
    -time is valuable and to click, read, c&p, comment on several studies is not efficient
    -no mention is made of pre diabetic dieters or those with a familial disposition to diabetes

Fun stuff, thanks for the information!

13. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Weren't you eating sandwiches all day before and like 1000 calories total lol? I know it can be hard (half my family is Italian too). And I know it can suck to work in an environment where all kinds of food is readily available (I work in a restaurant). Not always easy, but for me, it's worth it. I simply enjoy the complete control I have over my macros, knowing I can eat anything I want. It makes it easier to turn away certain foods (especially ones I don't know the calorie content of).

That being said, dieting can be made easier, but it's still a diet. It's still calorie restriction. It's never going to be "easy." At some point, you just have to figure out what you want. Your family, friends, girl friend, co-workers, etc... don't have to walk in your shoes. Their opinions don't matter (srs).

I also think you should bump up your calories. We originally had the number of 1900 and dropped it to 1700. You sometimes don't even get that much. You're overeating on **** because you're hungry. So why spin wheels by starving yourself with 1500 cal days, when you could eat more, lose less fat, but sustain it long-term? Something to seriously consider.

If you're up for it, I have an idea... No idea how interested you will be.

1. Start doing IF (Intermittent Fasting). I have said I'm going to make a thread about this (and I will) but here is what you could do...

- Choose an eating window of 8 hours. You will eat inside this eating window and only in this window. You're required to get all your calories and macros at this time and only this time. For example, I eat between 4pm and 12am. I've always been a night eater, so this works for me. I hate breakfast, don't really care/need lunch, so this is perfect. You can pick any widow you want. 2pm to 10pm is pretty popular. You skip breakfast, and take a late lunch basically. Stop eating before 10 because most people get ready for bed around this time anyway. Do whatever window works best for you.

From 4-12, I ateI ate 16oz of chicken (did I ever teach you how to count meat calories?) (481 calories, 100g protein), Roast Beef double meat 6' subway sandwich with veggies and provolone (440 cal, 11g fat, 47 carbs, 48g protein), Ben and Jerry half baked frozen yogurt (800cal, 12g fat, 152 carbs, 24g protein), dunkin donut Boston cream pie donut (16g fat, 39c, and 3g protein).

2031 calories, 39g fat, 238g carbs, and 176g protein. All within 8 hours. Talk about a ****ing food coma. I as very low in fats that day, but It doesn't matter because I'm consistent 90%+ of the time. I just wanted some ice cream last night. It was ****ing hot as ballz. Anyway, point of all of this is, during that 8 hours, I was so full I never wanted to eat again. And the best part is, I have 16 hours of fasting ahead and no ****s are given. It's VERY hard to overeat and hit your macros in 8 hours.

Intermittent fasting will be the next "big" thing in dieting within the next five years. Why? It's ****ing winning on a whole new level. There is a ton of research on animals, and all-signs point to great things. That being said, animals are not human and until further research is done (There is a big study going on now dealing with humans) a lot of the benefits are unproven. I'll explain the benefits another time, don't worry about it for now.

Irregardless of the biological and physiological benefits, eating within 8 hours makes dieting so much easier. If it's 12pm, and food is available? I don't eat it. It doesn't bother me to say no, because I'll be feasting for 8 hours soon anyway... Psychological benefits are through the roof.

You'll feel hungry for the first day you do it (depending on your windows open and close point) but after the 2nd day, it's a cakewalk. Couldn't hurt to try. If you like it (almost everyone I've talked to loves it and refuses to eat any other way again, myself included) keep doing it. If not, don't. No biggie.

Lastly, PM your email address. I have a .pdf book I want to send you. It's all about the psychology of dieting. Really awesome book (90 pages) from Lyle McDonald (One of the four horseman of nutrition).

14. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Sorry for the delay, I got super busy with work and moving yesterday.

I have been eating around 1500-1600 calories a day, but yes I have been eating sandwiches for most lunches. Yeah, its definitely challenging being from an Italian family where food is the main focus of the day. Speaking of calorie content and family, my mom came up to Gainesville to help me move some stuff back to Orlando yesterday and she took me out to Ale House to eat. She quickly ordered within like 5 minutes, but I was trying to find the nutrition information about the food before I ate anything which annoyed her (she wanted me to hurry up so she could get on the road). Ale House must be pretty ****ty for you because they hide their nutrition content extremely well, I couldn't find it anywhere. Finally I found the nutritional values that someone put on Myfitnesspal.com for hot wings and ordered that (1 hot wing equals 45 calories, 5g of protein, 2g fat, and it was blank for carbs [I seriously hope that is correct, but I had nothing else to base the nutritional values off]). While I was anxious trying to find the nutritional values and deciding what to eat, I felt better about my decision once I found that.

I actually haven't had the big of a problem with the dieting aspect. It has been quite easy and isn't stressful because I know I can eat what I want (within reason) as long as I "make room for it in my macros and calories." Where I do run into problems is when I cannot find the nutritional value and have to guesstimate what I am eating; its frustrating. I also ran into problems at my parents house because they had an abundance of bad food (cookies, fried chicken, etc.), what was funny was the fact that I wasn't necessarily craving the food, but I still ate them because they were there (if that makes sense). In Gainesville, I don't buy crappy food so I don't even have the option which makes it easier on myself. Also I have noticed good decisions lead to more good decisions and bad decisions lead to more bad decisions; if I start the day eating well I continue to do so.

With my limit being around 1700 I have never really felt overly hungry or deprived. Usually I only get to 1600 because that's all I eat before I am full and have met my macros. I think the 1700 limit is fine, I just need to be more careful going to restaurants and when I go home to the plethora of food. Another reason I don't get exactly to my 1700 calorie limit is because Myfitnesspal app has my daily value of calories for about 1640, so I usually for ease purposes just use that as my limit.

That IF seems like a great idea! I definitely plan on implementing it. I think it suits me well, because when I eat a big meal I am usually full for hours and hours. I'm sure if they found benefits in animals there will be benefits in humans as well, we are animals after all lol. I think I would do really well on that diet. That being said, I think I might wait to try that until I move back into my parents house. Reason being, I normally wake up at 7:00am and don't go to sleep until about 2:00am now in Gainesville due to work (per 24 hours that's 5 hours sleeping and 19 hours awake), at my parents house I normally go to wake up around 10:30am and go to sleep around 2:00am (per 24 hours that's 8.5 hours sleeping and 15.5 hours awake). I think those extra 3.5 hours of sleep would help make that IF diet a lot more successful because that's less time to be hungry. I still want to try it now though lol I just don't know how I would be able to work it into my daily schedule; I work from 8:00am to 5:00pm and then either have like an hour and a half workout or a 20 minute workout when I get home. Funny thing is, now that I think about it I naturally do the IF diet on weekends when I do not work lol. I usually wake up and then go like 4-5 hours without eating, eat for about 8 hours and then stop eating the rest of the day. I usually eat way less on weekends too, so I know that IF would work wonders with me. I can't wait to try it out, maybe I will just implement it on the weekends for now until I can do it everyday.

As always, thank you for all of your help! I really appreciate it :up:

15. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    7/18/12
    Food
    1 cup of Milk
    1 serving of Body Fortress Chocolate Protein Shake
    Sandwich (Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice Pepper Jack Cheese, 2 servings Publix Turkey Breast)
    Blue Diamond Butter Toffee Almonds
    16 Ale House Hot Wings
    Bud Select 55
    Kozy Shack Chocolate Pudding
    Exercise
    8 Minute Arms
    8 Minute Abs

7/18/12Totals:
    Calories - 1565
    Protein - 146g
    Fat - 61g
    Carbs - 83g
    Notes: I am really hoping I got the nutritional value right for the Ale House Hot Wings; I couldn't really find the official values online anywhere but I did find the values someone inputted into myfitnesspal.com, so hopefully they are right. Overall, for 16 wings it accounted for 720 calories, 80g of protein, and 32g of fat. That seems a little low to me, but I am not sure.

16. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    lol, yeah, I'm getting a much higher number lol. More like 1500+ cals for just the wings.

17. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Even though I got the unbreaded ones?

My freaking Mom lol.... She was getting pissed that I was taking so long trying to find a "healthy" item to eat there and convinced me that the wings wouldn't be that bad since its just chicken and hot sauce.

Speaking of which:
    No, I don't recall you ever teaching me how to count meat calories. I have just been using the values in myfitnesspal. Hopefully that isn't as off as the chicken wings...

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, no worries tho with the hot wings, basically protein and fat, and of decent quality.

It's not as if you were downing big macs w/regular coke.

Keep in mind you can rarely go wrong with the veggie stuff on the menu it can have holographic qualities in terms of calories, but typically does not.

hot wings vs veggie quesidillas for example.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  19. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008

If it wasn't breaded, your numbers may be right. Hard to say. Generally speaking, the values of certain food items like chicken wings are pretty close for all restaurants unless they're doing something special with them. Don't stress, just keep moving forward.

Weigh meat raw. Then apply the raw food calories (every meat nutritional info is based on raw weight) to cooked food. For example, I cook everything in bulk so I don't cook often.

My chicken was 30 calories an once and 6 grams of protein per ounce. I made 67oz.

67oz * 30 calories = 2010 Calories of chicken.
    67oz * 6g of protein = 402g protein.

After cooking, it weighed 53 ounces (water weight and stuff was cooked off).

2010 calories / 53oz = 37.9 calories per cooked oz.
    406 / 53oz = 7.6g of protein per cooked oz.

I created a chicken breast food list item in myfitnesspal and adjust that number every time I cook chicken in bulk. Meat will never weigh the same twice. Next time I cook 67oz, it may be 55oz cooked. Or 50oz cooked. In which case, the cooked oz will have a different caloric/macro value. Same applies to every other meat. Def. think about cooking in bulk. Helps keeps things simple. Or making a meal plan. That might really help you out a lot. Simply use myfitnesspal and add food up until you reach your cals/macros and eat whatever you have on that list.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  20. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    That is really quite interesting! I never would have thought of calculating it like that, but that probably is super accurate. I need to start cooking in bulk, definitely plan on starting that soon.

21. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    So recently, the last 5 days or so my right calf muscle has had a dead, numb, sort of achy feeling in it (all of these symptoms feel deep in the calf, like close to the bone). If I am just sitting down doing nothing it just feels a little achy and a bit abnormal compared to my left calf muscle which is fine. When I exercise (burpees, jumping jacks, etc.) the pain ramps up. If I do an exercise where a lot of weight goes on my right calf muscle the pain becomes very bad and my leg sort of gives out a bit; it feels like I am going to fall down.

I haven't experienced anything like this and just was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Should I just push through it? The only reason I am starting to get concerned is it hasn't been getting better and I don't want to make it worse by exercising on it.

22. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    There a distinct difference between working through pain and soreness. Rest up and let yourself heal.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sounds like you are working on getting a shin splint

UCF FINatic likes this.
  24. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    A shin splint on his calf? Sounds more like the overuse of a muscle in a calorie deficit. Rest should do the trick.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep.

When this happens to me, I rest it, and stretch more before I do engage in activties.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  26. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Sorry for taking so long to respond guys. I actually pushed through with my workout because I was already halfway through it and tomorrow is a light workout day for me (just 8 minute abs and 8 minute arms). The pain actually lessened throughout the day as well with is a good sign. I plan on updating my last two days diets and workouts tomorrow.

I weighed in at 205.5 today. My goal was to get below 200 before the end of the month. That leaves me 10 days to lose 5.5 pounds. It's going to be close, but I think if I limit my calories to about 1500 a day and keep workout as usual I can meet this goal of mine.

As always thanks for the help guys!

27. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    7/20/12
    Food
    Sandwich (Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice Provolone, 2 servings Publix Turkey Breast)
    10.3 oz Chicken Breast
    Organic Marghertia Publix Pizza
    Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding
    Exercise
    8 Minute Arms
    8 Minute Abs

7/20/12Totals:
    Calories - 1523
    Protein - 147g
    Fat - 50g
    Carbs - 128g
    Notes: Finding that Publix organic pizza was awesome. Its a pretty good size between 10 and 12 inches and I can eat the whole damn pizza and it only has 660 calories and 30g of protein. If I eat a chicken breast and that for dinner I can get really close to my protein limit with only about 1,000 calories used freeing up my remaining calories to use in anyway I want.

28. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    7/21/12
    Food
    3 McDoubles
    1 serving of Body Fortress Chocolate Protein Shake
    1 slice Provolone cheese
    Bud Select 55
    Bud Light
    Exercise
    Burpees - 80
    Jumping Jacks - 600
    Push Ups - 80
    Squats - 110
    Push Ups on Knees - 110
    8 Minute Arms
    8 Minute Abs

7/21/12Totals:
    Calories - 1555
    Protein - 101g
    Fat - 65g
    Carbs - 117g
    Notes: I missed my protein goals for the day. I planned on eating 3 McDoubles and then cooking a chicken breast to reach my goals, but my friends decided they wanted to go out to a pre-game earlier than I expected so I didn't have time to cook the chicken and eat it. I also made sure to eat by IF (I actually ate all my food within 2 hours at the most). My right calve was hurting, but I pushed through and did my workout. It got better as the day went on.

29. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Update
    Total Weight Loss: 10.5 pounds
    Weight Lost Since Previous Weigh-in: 2.5 pounds
    Current Weight: 205.5

Thoughts I am in double digit weight loss!!! I actually started out this summer weighing 218.5 pounds so since summer began I have lost a total of 13 pounds. I am pretty pound of myself. I was actually scared to weigh myself this time because I had stuck to my diet as much as I should have. My goal was to get below 200 by the end of July, that give me 10 days to lose 5.5 pounds. That is a lot of weight to lose in a short amount of time, but I am going to try my hardest to get it done. I am going to try to restrict my calories a bit more while reaching my macros. Hopefully, I can get this done. As always thanks for all the help along the way!

30. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Maybe it was the carb up prior to weighing in that threw the scale off. Glad to see you're making progress again. Don't screw with your calories. You're losing about 2.5/3 lbs a week if my estimation is right. The only way you're hitting your goal faster is by completely cutting down carbs (which is dumb). Anything below 100 starts the process of keto. And you're not nearly eating high enough fats to sustain that energy downturn. If you add more fats, you're adding 2x the calories per gram of a carb. It doesn't make sense. And really, you've got a long way to go. What's the difference between 200lbs and 201lbs? Be smart. If you want, try and up the cardio a little (walk at a slow-moderate pace for an hour all week). Keep the heart rate down so you don't burn glycogen (energy) and instead you'll use some fat stores. No reason to drop cals down any further. 1500 is low dude... Especially for your size. It takes a lot of energy to do your workouts. Don't screw yourself by being impatient.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  31. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    7/22/12
    Food
    Chicken Breast
    Publix Organic Marghertia Pizza
    Curley's BBQ Pulled Pork
    Exercise
    8 Minute Arms
    8 Minute Abs

7/22/12Totals:
    Calories - 1433
    Protein - 144g
    Fat - 46g
    Carbs - 110g
    Notes: Again I followed IF, it's really easy to do on weekends for me just because I sleep in later and am up for less hours overall. Good call on not changing up my diet and keeping things as is. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd much rather only get down to 201 or 202 and keeping losing weight slow and steady instead of doing a carb crash diet and screwing up my hormones. You the man Clark Kent!! Always keeping things in prospective for me.

32. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    7/23/12
    Food
    Greek Yogurt
    Body Fortress Whey Protein
    Sandwich (Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice cheddar, 2 servings Publix Turkey Breast)
    Chipotle Burrito Bowl
    Bud Select 55
    Exercise
    8 Minute Arms
    8 Minute Abs

7/23/12Totals:
    Calories - 1580
    Protein - 130g
    Fat - 63g
    Carbs - 174g
    Notes: Had a bad day today. I didn't sleep well last night and only got between 4 hours and 3.5 hours of sleep. I was fine throughout the day, but when I was heading home I got really tired and my body felt pretty weak. I guess with a calories-deficit diet you are bound to have bad days in terms of how you feel overall in terms of strength, weakness, drive, etc. I just felt physically beat down and tired. As soon as I got home I took a nap with the intentions of working out once I woke up a hour later at like 6:30pm. Well I didn't wake up until 8:40pm and was still tired. I forced myself to do my usual light workout even though I was supposed to have a heavy workout today... I feel guilty that I didn't do my scheduled heavy workout, but plan on doing a heavy workout tomorrow after I get a good nights sleep tonight.

33. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    7/24/12
    Food
    1 Cup Milk
    Body Fortress Whey Protein
    Sandwich (Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice cheddar, 2 servings Publix Turkey Breast)
    Panera Small Mac and Cheese
    Chicken Breast
    Bud Select 55
    Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding
    Exercise
    Burpees - 80
    Jumping Jacks - 600
    Push Ups - 80
    Squats - 110
    Push Ups on Knees - 110
    8 Minute Arms
    8 Minute Abs

7/24/12Totals:
    Calories - 1609
    Protein - 157g
    Fat - 62g
    Carbs - 106g
    Notes: It's amazing how getting out of work makes working out that much easier.

34. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    You gotta start eating some real food lol. Milk, protein shakes, pudding, beer, etc... How are you not starving?

UCF FINatic likes this.
  35. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Keep up the good work UCF.

I lost 110 pounds a few years ago (from 335-225.) It's not easy but definitely rewarding. I could still stand to lose some more weight but **** it, I lost enough and am happy where I am.

Reward yourself too, but don't lose focus. You'll drive yourself crazy if you don't eat some bad stuff every now and then.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  36. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    LOL There are times I am hungry, but for the most part I am fine throughout the day. The protein shakes always help me get a jump on my daily protein intake needs, and beer and pudding are just "fun foods" when I have leftover calories at the end of the day. The beer and pudding combined account for only about 115 calories per day, so that's not bad especially because eating foods like that helps me "feel" like I am not on a diet. I think not starving also has to do with when and what I eat. My usual day goes like this:
    7:30am - Milk and Protein
    10:30am - Almonds
    12:30pm - Sandwich
    7:30pm - Panera Mac and Cheese
    9:30pm - Chicken breast
    11:00pm - Pudding and Beer

I also had almonds, a sandwich, mac and cheese, and a chicken breast yesterday, which are all pretty filling to me. What else do you think I should add to my diet in terms of real food? Or were you just saying that because you were simply wondering how I am not starving?

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, tbh, here we shall disagree but running on low food for a bit actually teaches one to control their body more effectively then the strictest of "diets".

At the end of the day what all of this boils down to is "who" is in charge, the body or the mind/will/spirit?

38. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    My body is my ***** lover.

Clark Kent likes this.
  39. Clark Kent

May 9, 2008
    Pretty much this. If you can handle it, cool. I know I hate spending calories on liquids. Always wish I had saved them for something tastier. Greek Yogurt is about the only non solid food I eat.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  40. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Ironically, I had Greek Yogurt for breakfast today lol. I feel you on wasting calories on fluids, I pretty much gave up coffee, juice, and everything but diet sodas and Bud Select 55 (and honestly if the beer was closer to 100 calories I would probably give that up too).