Vonnie Holliday on JT's role and Phil Merling

16 replies

padre31padre31Luxury BoxOP
Jun 30, 2009, 06:04 PM

Fun stuff:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9744682/Today's-NFL-rookies-face-many-obstacles

Even when talking about his friends, ex-Miami defensive end Vonnie Holliday didn't pull any punches during a Sirius NFL Radio interview conducted last Friday by me and co-host Dan Leberfeld. Because of projected replacement Phillip Merling's inexperience, Holliday said he was a "little surprised" at being released earlier this offseason after refusing to take a pay cut. "He's a guy I think would have benefited from another year or two of tutelage and not having to have the responsibility of being a starter," Holliday said of Merling, a 2008 second-round draft choice.

Holliday also said the returning Jason Taylor "shouldn't have had to eat some humble pie" by asking Dolphins executive Bill Parcells for the chance to rejoin the team. Holliday wonders how Taylor and fellow outside linebacker Joey Porter will co-exist on the same defense. "With the success Joey had last year, I just didn't think J.T. was a fit back in the role he was in before," said Holliday, referring to Porter's 17.5 sacks in 2008. "Now they're talking about him playing the opposite side, the left side, which he is not as comfortable with. If comes out and has a slow start compared to last year, what's going to happen? Are you going to try and move J.T. into that role and have a problem with a very outspoken Joey Porter? It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds.

I don't think A) JT will be used in a role like that, he will be the "tiger" or what have you, he may play on the strongside occasionally but he may be freelancing when he moves over there. B)...wow...I thought Phillip Merling was further along in his development.

Stringer BellStringer BellSupporter
Jun 30, 2009, 06:11 PM

A. I think JT is a nickel rusher

B. Sounds like Holliday is a little bitter

“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Jun 30, 2009, 06:15 PM

"Stringer Bell wrote:

A. I think JT is a nickel rusher

B. Sounds like Holliday is a little bitter

Bingo. I heard some of the clips from his Sirius NFL appearance and he sounded VERY bitter. Bitter he was released, and even more bitter than no NFL teams seem interested in his services.

I do hope he finds work with another team, despite his bitterness.

calphincalphinNew Member
Jun 30, 2009, 06:21 PM

Sounds like Holliday should have taken the pay cut.... maybe then he wouldn't be bitter.


Thanks Gish

NolePhinNolePhinNew Member
Jun 30, 2009, 06:25 PM

"calphin wrote:

Sounds like Holliday should have taken the pay cut.... maybe then he wouldn't be bitter.

Maybe he regrets not taking a pay cut a little now? Especially after no other teams have shown interest so far.

Thanks for the sig, Gish!

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 30, 2009, 06:47 PM

IMO, Holliday is not simply bitter, I do think he is offering an insight into what he thinks of Merling, Langkford and JT.

JT is not a strongside OLB, he's said as much himself, Lankford is game ready in his view and Merling is still raw, and keep in mind Vonnie has kept in touch with Merling even after he was released.

FIFinsAreLifeNew Member
Jun 30, 2009, 06:51 PM

Look lets face it, Joey more than likely will never repeat that 17.5 sack performance in a season again. I think thats a career high. I think he will end up with around 10-12 and JT will have 6-8. I also think guys like Merling, Langford and Roth will have their totals go up slightly. So all in all it will balance out.

TiP54TiP54New Member
Jun 30, 2009, 10:27 PM

Everything will be just fine.
You heard it here first.

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Jun 30, 2009, 10:30 PM

"Mari0k wrote:

Everything will be just fine.
You heard it here first.

Well folks Mari0k says we'll be ok. Nothing to see here folks.

wpgfishfanwpgfishfanNew Member
Jul 1, 2009, 01:57 AM

Holliday might still come back

As for JT and Porter....I think we can all agree that JT will not be his 2006 self and Joey will not get 17.5 sacks

If they can get 18 sacks between them I will be very happy

Well after 15 years Bettman lets hockey come back to Winnipeg. Thanks for wasting 15 years

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jul 1, 2009, 02:13 AM

I'm pretty surprised Vonnie hasn't found work yet. That's really a shame.

And as I read a little further, this is exactly why:

Holliday, 33, said he is now running again after undergoing postseason knee surgery. With 141 career starts in 11 NFL seasons — including 59 the past four years in Miami — Holliday admits he's surprised to still be a free agent.

"No matter how well you've played, it seems if you have a 30-plus age attached to you, a team is going to look at younger players first before they bring you in," said Holliday, who also is considered a strong locker-room leader. "Teams have offered me injury contracts and I've told them I'm not injured. I finished the season last year on the same knee and felt I played pretty well. My stats are up there with [free-agent signing Chris] Canty of the New York Giants. If you go out and produce, that's all that should matter. It's unfortunate, but I don't want to come across as bitter. It has been a little frustrating but it's all going to end up alright."

Can't say I disagree with his assessment of Merling. I think we'll see him develop faster now that he's had a fully healthy offseason.

I'm even more excited to see what Langford can do though.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

funkdatfunkdatNew Member
Jul 1, 2009, 02:18 AM

"calphin wrote:

Sounds like Holliday should have taken the pay cut.... maybe then he wouldn't be bitter.

Holliday said they never offered him that.

From what he said on wqam they just cut him to play the young guys.I never heard Miami's side of it, but Holliday has never seemed like a lier to me.

:hammertime:

BpkBpkLuxury Box
Jul 1, 2009, 03:29 AM

Part of Holliday doing the interview, I'm sure, is to remind teams around the league of his existence and availablity. Exposure helps.

Prolly his agent's suggestion.

late againlate againNew Member
Jul 1, 2009, 05:16 AM

"funkdat wrote:

Holliday said they never offered him that.

From what he said on wqam they just cut him to play the young guys.I never heard Miami's side of it, but Holliday has never seemed like a lier to me.

Hey bro, where you been lately?..
it's good to see you back hangin around.

ZodZodNew Member
Jul 1, 2009, 06:32 AM

Competition is NOT a bad thing.

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Jul 1, 2009, 07:11 AM

"funkdat wrote:

Holliday said they never offered him that.

From what he said on wqam they just cut him to play the young guys.I never heard Miami's side of it, but Holliday has never seemed like a lier to me.

I thought he'd said that they were negotiating, sort of.

They asked him to take a pay cut and he refused. But instead of continuing to negotiate, which is what he expected to do, the Dolphins came back (not immediately) and released him.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

bakedmattbakedmattNew Member
Jul 1, 2009, 07:24 AM

He could very well be right. But I think they felt comfortable with releasing Holliday, because we have Randy Starks if we need him. I don't get the sense that he's bitter. Then again I didn't hear the clip.

Like you guys, I think Jason will be used in a situational role, and both he and Joey will not be on the field at the same time on a lot of 1st and 2nd downs.

@matthewfpepin