1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wallace steps in it before he even plays for MIA: Mocks Jason Collins for coming out.

Discussion in 'Out of Bounds' started by Vinny Fins, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    He has his freedom of speech. No one is putting him in jail for anything he says. However, we here also have the right to mock him and point out his stupidity.

Any while you may be entitled to your own opinion, there are a lot of dumb opinions out there that people shouldn't hold and they should eb called out on. This one of them. Thinking blacks are dumb or Jews control the media are another. If Mike Wallace was tweeting out Boston Marathon and Sandy Hook conspiracy theories I doubt we'd hear much of "well, it's his opinion"

2. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    We can move on now. Again, blown way out of proportion.

Boik14, gilv13, Paul 13 and 2 others like this.
  3. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    What is bigoted about not being able to relate to it?

Sumlit and byroan like this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Bull****, what I'm defending is everyone's right to hold an opinion if one cannot see it then spare ones pity for onesself.

Sumlit likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Wallace steps in it before he even plays for MIA: Mocks Jason Collins for comin

@Wallace17_daKid: Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don't understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended

Sumlit likes this.
  6. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    No, you absolutely crystalized the example. It's not something you find appealing, so that would be your reaction. That tweet was Wallace's reaction to something he doesn't find appealing. He said nothing derogatory, just that he didn't understand it.

I don't understand it either. Doesn't mean I'm against gay people. I'm all for gay people having the right to marry, adopt, or any other rights everyone else has.

Boik14, finyank13 and rdhstlr23 like this.
  7. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    You may assume that everyone believes that being homosexual is genetic, but not everyone does. I think it's something you're born with, but that is not universally accepted. And I do NOT declare people to be evil or stupid because they disagree with me on something. I hold some beliefs that aren't popular particularly about religion: I am an agnostic and just about everyone I know is a Christian. I don't look down on them because they believe strongly in their faith, I just accept that not everyone believes the same thing.

rdhstlr23 likes this.
  8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Nowhere does that tweet specifically mention Jason Collins. I find it sad that in today's culture having an opinion about something, whatever it may be - race, gender, orientation, religion, nationality, etc. is so frowned upon if it's not 100% politically correct. Not to slight gays or lesbians, my aunt is a lesbian and I support equal rights, but I think this is making a bigger deal out of something than it needs to be. It's a man's opinion, nothing more.

9. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    How is this bigotry? He did not say "I hate the gays" he just express his inability to understand how a man can love another man that way. That is a perfectly understandable reaction for ANY straight man. As a straight man, you can accept that a man loves another, but you cannot explain it nor relate to it because it is a concept that goes against your nature.

Not saying Wallace cannot be a bigot, or is not a bigot, i cannot prove that either way. Just saying his comment was not insulting, and the reaction here is baffling.

10. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    whats bigoted about it is THIS: I'd never presume to see a guy and girl making out and go EWWW Gross. Its accepptable to do that to gays though, for some.

11. Vinny Fins

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Why not?

12. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    So just for ha ha's here...if someone finds something gross then they're bigoted? I'd think it was gross if I saw two morbidly obese people or two meth addicts making out. What does that have to do with bigotry? It's just something that's unappealing to the person.

Personally, I think asparagus is disgusting. I go "ewww" when I see it. Does that make me asparaphobic?

For the record, I don't go "ewww" if I see a gay couple kissing. You're just blowing this way out of proportion.

Boik14, rdhstlr23 and Ronnie Bass like this.
  13. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    regardless Mike Wallace needs to publically apologize because he's going to bring unnecessary attention and possibly bring out all them homosexuals from South Beach to boycott around Sun Life. Hell he better not even drop a pass cause the media will remember this day.

14. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Wallace NEVER said anything like that though?

15. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Except a male with a female is the natural thing. Two males or two females is not natural. That our society is advanced and is tolerant of homosexuals because they are still human beings and deserve to be respected by their choices, whether voluntary or genetically determined, does not erase the fact that for someone who is straight, it is hard to relate to someone who is homosexual.

16. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Wallace has deleted the tweets, which suggests someone wiser than he is realized it was more than just a man's opinion.

For those completely oblivious to what is wrong with what Wallace tweeted, would you defend Wes Welker if he tweeted:

"All these beautiful white women in the world and guys wanna mess with other races SMH..."

I suspect not.

Vinny Fins, MonstBlitz and schmolioot like this.
  17. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm on board for gay rights 100% but sorry when I see two guys kissing or the thought of two guys having sex I do say eww, just like you said you didn't choose to be gay well I am not choosing to go eww I just do

18. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Do you people know what SMH means? Shaking my head. As in, shaking my head in disgust / dismay / disbelief...etc. All inappropriate views to have in respect to another human beings sexual preference and private life.

And yeah, captain obviouses Mike Wallace is entitled to his opinion. But just like any other athlete or public figure, the opinion that he chose to express in a VERY public forum is not going to be analyzed and discussed.

Whether you agree with Mike Wallace or not, how can anyone make an argument that expressing an opinion of disbelief on another players brave act of making his sexual orientation public is not an incredibly stupid thing to do?

I give Mike Wallace credit for having the foresight to delete the offending tweet. But he's still going to have some explaining to do. And you all can defend him all you want, that's your right as a fan, but I guaranDAMNtee you he's hearing it from Miami's coaches. Even if the fans don't hold him accountable, they will.

djphinfan likes this.
  19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Strawman, he did not tweet that so the comparison is moot.

20. hammer

hammer New Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Beavercreek Ohio
    Wallace steps in it before he even plays for MIA: Mocks Jason Collins for comin

Sounds like he's joking to me. Kind of like that bit Sam Kinison used to do. "How a man can stare at another man's hairy *** and find love is beyond me". Not bigoted , just an observation .

21. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    If I saw you in a diner making out with the hottest chick on earth, I would say "ugh, gross". PDA's in general are gross, especially in a dining setting. Twitter is a nightmare for ignorant, young celebrities. They go on record saying **** that belongs in the locker room, or the privacy of their own home. 50 years ago, people didn't "understand" racial integration either.

finyank13 likes this.
  22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    How different this thread would be if it were a Jets player that said this... SMH (pun intended)

I respect all the moderators of this board, but I'm disappointed that this reaction by Vinny was labeled a RANT.

23. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Exactly. And it has nothing to do with freedom of speech, and freedom of speech doesn't give you license to say anything you want without repercussion and criticism (something noted constitutional scholar Armando Salguero doesn't udnerstand)

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It is pretty acceptable to look at a guy and a girl making out and go, 'eww'.
    I mean, get a room!

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, I live in Asheville NC, which at one time had the second highest population of homosexuals in the US so such things are not unknown to me but my approach is to not say a word to just respect whatever choice they are making as long as no one is getting hurt.

26. Vinny Fins

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn

Um... if nobody chose to be gay, that'd make it natural. And When did Tolerance become code for 'not being an *******'?

27. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    That is entirely different. That would be clearly saying that you think black women are inferior to white, and if you have white available, why would you chose black. That would certainly be offensive. What Wallace said was speaking about him mostly. He cannot understand why a man would love another man. He did not say straight is better than homosexual, or that homosexual is bad. He just is incapable of fathoming how a man can be homosexual.

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do agree. Freedom of speech does not mean you have freedom from criticism of your speech.

29. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Not even close to a strawman argument Padre. Nice try though.

30. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    So why tweet it? What did he stand to gain from it? You're a high-profile athlete, what is the potential upside?

He can have his opinion, but he doesn't need to broadcast publicly. Act like a god damned professional. He is being criticized for his woeful handing of the situation and rightfully so. He is clearly a dumbass.

gilv13 and djphinfan like this.
  31. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm not talking about saying it but the thought process and how you feel

32. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Oh ok, now SMH is shaking head.... in disgust /dismay. Lets assume, assumptions work.

It cannot be shaking my head in disagreement, in confusion. It has to be in disgust.

33. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    And if Mike Wallace thought like you Padre, then he wouldn't have caused this bleep storm for himself.

Perhaps people should remember the good advice your mom taught you when you were 5 years old "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"

34. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

He made an ignorant statement and then apologized for his ignorance.

That should be the end of it.

But I'm sure it is not.

byroan likes this.
  35. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    It's not natural? I think I understand why you're having an issue with this.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Eh people trying to make him out to be Chris Culliver. That's a reach considering what he said.

37. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    It is produced naturally, but it is not natural. There has to be an understanding that tolerance is not the same thing as acceptance. Society and human beings must strive for tolerance. You can never, however, demand or expect acceptance.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  38. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I also said disbelief, which is what you're getting at. They are all insensitive reactions to another human beings personal life. And I don't think it's insensitive to not understand the laws of physical attraction when it comes to same sex relationships. I think it's insensitive to PUBLICLY question those choices.

39. normaldude

normaldude Active Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Mike Wallace should be able to criticize anyone for their preferences & actions.

It's just like him saying "I don't understand how anyone could like that TV show / color / food / sports team / flavor of ice cream".

40. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    The same people that have a problem with this are the same people who had a hissy fit over our logo and uniforms

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.