What do you think our plan is at QB?
165 replies
"jdallen1222 wrote:
The Old Bama qb? Did he get faster? Haven’t seen him play since he got pulled from the title game years ago.
If you haven't seen Jalen Hurts play lately you need to watch him today. His passing has improved tremendously in the last year and a half. He is worth looking at. Oklahoma plays at 8 tonight.
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
We will end up with 6 picks in the top 100. Use 2 of them on the best QB available and another on day 3. Pick 3 this year. One should stick, if you end up with two and have a Rivers/Brees problem that would be great. Plan on picking a top five guy next year too. When you don't have a qualified sniper taking the shot your best bet is to send rounds down range, lots of rounds, and don't cease fire until you know the target is eliminated.
Say we end up this year with something like pick 3, 15, 25, 35 55,65...
pick 3 and 35/55 or pick 15 and 65, plus a pick after 150 would be a good. 2 in the top 100 and a fifth/sixth rd pick.
I would rather pick 2 players to compete than use two picks to trade up for 1 guy, but I would be OK with it if they are sold on one guy.
That would be my plan.
Both Tua and Burrow played well. This is good for us. It means the #2 pick might not be much worse than the #1 pick if you want a QB.
"ripper1961 wrote:
Burrow looked pretty good today!
He is damn good, made one bad mistake but showed up as the front runner for the Heisman since Chase is out.
Yeh i would be happy with either QB to be honest if we had to reach... I just have a vision that Tua is a Bengal next year. I just hope we have enough picks left over for "Dicker the Kicker" somehow in the later rounds.
"Vertical Limit wrote:
He is damn good, made one bad mistake but showed up as the front runner for the Heisman since Chase is out.
They'd show Burrow on the sideline in the fourth quarter and he almost looked bored. And then he'd come out and bring them right down the field. Amazing.
What he did in Tuscaloosa of all places is unprecedented.. alabama had a 32 game home winning streak before today.. which was in 2012 against Texas AM Johnny Manziel..
"cbrad wrote:
Both Tua and Burrow played well. This is good for us. It means the #2 pick might not be much worse than the #1 pick if you want a QB.
Personally, I thought Burrows outplayed Tua by a country mile today. Tua did great with protection, horrible without it. Burrows played solid regardless and I think he's CLEARLY the #1 QB in the draft.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
Only thing I took away from that game is I think Burrow has a little more zip on his ball and Tua throws one of the prettiest deep balls I've seen in a long darn time.
I don't think either out played the other. And you can hardly knock Tua since he was playing on that bad ankle. His normal mobility was curtailed quite a bit.
I'll take either one. And I don't have a preference on which one either.
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
"Tin Indian wrote:
Only thing I took away from that game is I think Burrow has a little more zip on his ball and Tua throws one of the prettiest deep balls I've seen in a long darn time.
The guy is always hurt!No thanks.
I don't think either out played the other. And you can hardly knock Tua since he was playing on that bad ankle. His normal mobility was curtailed quite a bit.I'll take either one. And I don't have a preference on which one either.
I know this thread isn't an LSU v Alabama thread but seeing how the two QB's are going to be top prospects in the draft and that is the topic of discussion...
It was an exciting game and both quarterbacks played great but in all honesty, I don't Burrows nor Tua are going to prosper in the NFL. Granted I know that Tua's ankle limited his mobility, but when he didn't have protection, he folded. Burrows was more mobile and was able to scramble and turn a loss into a gain however, I don't see their great collegiate play translating into great NFL play. I know it's not going to be a popular opinion, but that's just what I see.
Najee Harris though on the other hand...that's going to be a kid to watch!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I know this thread isn't an LSU v Alabama thread but seeing how the two QB's are going to be top prospects in the draft and that is the topic of discussion...
It was an exciting game and both quarterbacks played great but in all honesty, I don't Burrows nor Tua are going to prosper in the NFL. Granted I know that Tua's ankle limited his mobility, but when he didn't have protection, he folded. Burrows was more mobile and was able to scramble and turn a loss into a gain however, I don't see their great collegiate play translating into great NFL play. I know it's not going to be a popular opinion, but that's just what I see.
Najee Harris though on the other hand...that's going to be a kid to watch!
I was blown away by Najee Harris, Jeudy, Jamarr Chase, Clyde Edwards,
Klavon Chaison... Klavon was doing it all defensively for LSU... just a sophomore tho but next year he may be the first linebacker off the board..
All the receivers from both sides showed theyre all going to be in the NFL..
This game will have a record setting of NFL talent lol.. Xavier McKinney was pretty damn good blitzing for a safety..
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I know this thread isn't an LSU v Alabama thread but seeing how the two QB's are going to be top prospects in the draft and that is the topic of discussion...
It was an exciting game and both quarterbacks played great but in all honesty, I don't Burrows nor Tua are going to prosper in the NFL. Granted I know that Tua's ankle limited his mobility, but when he didn't have protection, he folded. Burrows was more mobile and was able to scramble and turn a loss into a gain however, I don't see their great collegiate play translating into great NFL play. I know it's not going to be a popular opinion, but that's just what I see.
Just playing the odds you're probably right. Quality of competition in college is just so low in comparison to the NFL that it's really hard to predict which college QB's will succeed in the NFL. It's still better to gamble on a hot college prospect than one that is less impressive.
As far as Tua folding when he didn't have protection, I really think his ankle was messing with his head a bit because he's shown exceptional mobility in the past, and some of what we saw yesterday just doesn't fit with his past play.
"cbrad wrote:
Just playing the odds you're probably right. Quality of competition in college is just so low in comparison to the NFL that it's really hard to predict which college QB's will succeed in the NFL. It's still better to gamble on a hot college prospect than one that is less impressive.
As far as Tua folding when he didn't have protection, I really think his ankle was messing with his head a bit because he's shown exceptional mobility in the past, and some of what we saw yesterday just doesn't fit with his past play.
Here's my big worry with Tua- two years ago, he was down 3 TD's in the championship game when Jalen Hurts came in and rallied them back. They had a soft schedule last year, steamrolled through average opponents, then got blown out by Clemson. This season, Alabama plays weak teams again throughout the season, Tua dominates with his 7 second pocket time, then they finally get a quality opponent and they lose. This is a three year trend of Tua blowing it in big games.
What we saw yesterday is as close as Burrows/Tua gets to the pro level while still in college...both teams are loaded with talent. Yes, Tua has a beautiful deep ball to the nation's top receiver and we saw it repeatedly when protection held up, but he also had moments where he appeared to be in full panic mode. His untouched fumble was baffling...I'm not sure why or how the ball came out...but that was essentially the difference in the game.
I think Tua is a good quarterback- but we're not looking for someone good at this time. Tannehill was good, Fitzpatrick is good. We're looking for a 10 year starter and I think Tua is nothing special compared to the average NFL talent today. The poise Burrows showed in the pocket, even when he was under heavy pressure, makes him the top choice for me and I really think Jalen Hurtz is my #2 pick. We can't go all-in on a quarterback who's been hurt three seasons in a row AND couldn't win a shootout in big games....not with the supporting cast Alabama has.
The college playoffs will be interesting since there's a chance Alabama doesn't even make it to the final four....they might drop one more to Auburn before all is said and done since their pass rush is also legit. Clemson is largely untested this season so we don't know how good they are either. Meanwhile, Burrows and LSU have been dominating top-10 teams and top 10 defenses all year long...if they continue to dominate, I don't see how Burrows isn't the #1 overall pick.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
Keyfin, you're touching on one of my concerns with Tua. He has had a pretty easy schedule certainly this year and it seems he struggles in big games. Now yesterday he had a mediocre 1st half but came out on fire in the 2nd. I've seen most of his games this year and his mobility was pretty much nonexistent yesterday. Kudos to him coming out and playing yesterday and he played very well.
Burrows impressed me yesterday. Enough that he is probably my #1 choice by a small margin right now. I also really like Jalen Hurts. He is the most dynamic QB in the draft but he still needs some development. He doesn't have crazy speed like Jackson but he can run. 5td's yesterday. 3 Passing and 2 more rushing and over 350 yards passing.
In any event that was one of the best games I've seen in a very long time!
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
I would love Tua or Burrow. But guess what? They aren't going to get either of them because Miami is going to play themselves out of the top 5.
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
I would love Tua or Burrow. But guess what? They aren't going to get either of them because Miami is going to play themselves out of the top 5.
Yep. Like it or not those guys on the field, coaches and players alike, are trying to win and don't give a damn what everyone thinks they should be doing.
Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.
"Tin Indian wrote:
Yep. Like it or not those guys on the field, coaches and players alike, are trying to win and don't give a damn what everyone thinks they should be doing.
Yay! Participation trophies for everyone!
"TheHighExhaulted wrote:
Yay! Participation trophies for everyone!
nothing to do with participation trophies. This is teaching the nucleus of our our team to ignore the tank story outside the locker room, focus on your jobs and learning how to compete. This is more important than any one player or draft pick.
"mlb1399 wrote:
nothing to do with participation trophies. This is teaching the nucleus of our our team to ignore the tank story outside the locker room, focus on your jobs and learning how to compete. This is more important than any one player or draft pick.
There might be 5 players on the current team on the roster in 2021. Don't give me that.
"mlb1399 wrote:
nothing to do with participation trophies. This is teaching the nucleus of our our team to ignore the tank story outside the locker room, focus on your jobs and learning how to compete. This is more important than any one player or draft pick.
Yeah, I don't think most of these guys will be around by 2021. It does seems to indicate that Flores can motivate guys to play above their level as it were, which is a real positive.
A terrible play call, terribly executed.
"Deus ex dolphin wrote:
Yeah, I don't think most of these guys will be around by 2021. It does seems to indicate that Flores can motivate guys to play above their level as it were, which is a real positive.
Yeah, Vince Biegel might have something to say about that.
PSYCH