1. ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    link
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/michael_lombardi/04/27/five.things/index.html

5. New coaches will draft new quarterbacks
    This is pretty obvious from the 2008 draft results. Mike Smith starts off his tenure in Atlanta with the selection of Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan. John Harbaugh places the Ravens' faith in Delaware quarterback Joe Flacco. And Tony Sparano begins the new Dolphins' regime with Michigan quarterback Chad Henne.

Ryan could not have gone to a better team. He gets a head coach who is a former defensive coordinator who will know how to protect his young quarterback. Look for the Falcons to play the games close to the vest on offense, running the ball and trying to win with their defense and kicking game. Ryan will not be asked to win games right away; the emphasis will be on allowing him to learn and grow into the offense.

Flacco is one lucky guy. He joins a team dominated by defense and gets an offensive coordinator in Cam Cameron who has a history of developing quarterbacks. Cameron will try and speed up Flacco's game, getting him to make quicker decisions and get the ball out of his hands. The Ravens are already used to winning games with a running game and their defense, so Flacco won't be rushed along.

Henne is the chosen one in Miami. Getting picked by Bill Parcells to play quarterback is a great achievement and the failure rate is rather small. Parcells, Sparano and offensive coordinator Dan Henning all know what it takes to have success at quarterback. They will never place Henne in a bad situation. And with Henne being a gym rat, he will be a fixture in the Dolphins building as he learns his craft. And that will forever endear him to his new bosses.

WharfRat likes this.
  2. NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He was calling the Langford pick the steal of the 2nd day last night on NFL network also.

3. Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

They talk here like Henne is the quarterback in Miami. Correct me if I'm wrong, we still have Beck and McCown don't we ?? I agree that generally a new coach drafts a new quarterback (although JJ didn't and neither did McCarthy in GB, and neither did Childress in Minny or Dungy in Indy)...but where does it say that Beck won't be our QB next season ?? I certainly didn't hear Tunalando say anything of the sort. I just think that this guy is talking out his rump instead of looking at the team...

4. Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    Actually, you and many others here seem to be talking with your hearts rather than your heads. I know you like Beck, but Henne was NOT drafted to sit behind Beck. Henne will sit behind McCown for a year, and unless (unlikely) McCown takes us into the playoffs, Henne will start next year. The only thing that could prevent that is an injury to Henne.

Phins28 likes this.
  5. emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    This. The Dolphins draft room didn't erupt in cheers Saturday night because they wanted a guy to provide competition. They got to pick the guy they want to be the QB of the franchise. McCown will "win" the QB competition this year, and Henne will sit for a year and learn and train as should happen with rookie QBs, and then he'll "win" the competition the following year and we'll never look back. Like it or not, this organization drafted their guy and that's how it goes.

Then again, we shouldn't take it personally. Every front office says the same thing every year about open competition, and in the end it's their people that get the starting jobs. It's just like every other business in every other field. You're either there with the bosses stamp of approval, or you're taking up space while they find someone to replace you. Wanny did it, Saban did it, Cam did it, and Sparano will do it.

6. Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

I think Beck will be giving a legit shot this year. In fact, I fully expect him to start with McCown serving as the backup. I do believe that going forward however, that Henne is the young QB that Ireland/Sparano want to build around. If Beck wins the job and keeps it however, good for him and good for us. It means we will be getting good QB play and have a young backup to help out if need be.

7. feelthepain New Member

Jan 4, 2008
    No, he was drafted to compete for the starting job.

8. Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    These posts about McCown starting are making me want to :hang: myself or maybe :jump: . Hopefully I'll turn into :angel: and not end up visiting the :devil2: if I do lose my sanity. :lol:

9. texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah Lombardi is pretty high on the Langford pick.

Agree with all the Beck/Henne talk. Henne is our QB of the future, and Beck is not in the long term plans of this organization unless both of the following happen-Henne sucks and he is really good.
    I dont think Beck should be pencilled in as the backup just yet though. He may well end up starting this season, and we end up trading him in the offseason or something. Unless Henne is tearing things up, he most likely will sit for a year.

Rick 1966 likes this.
  10. Beck2Ginn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 25, 2007
    indeed. Parcells may like Henne, but he's not going to start him just because of that. he'll have to earn it, and if he doesn't earn it, and stinks it up, Parcells won't waste his time with him just because he liked him before the draft.

11. UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Well Beck cant be in long term plans when he is already 27, lol.

I do see us holding on to him though. He has a lot of skills of a mediocre starter or great back-up. Best case scenario both QB's tear it up and we are in a situation similar to the Chargers when they had Brees and Rivers. Worst case scenario we get a mediocre starter with a great back-up.

I think this QB battle will be very fun to watch in training camp and preseason. Personally i am pulling for Beck or Henne. I love McCown and think he has the best chance to start game 1, but I think with Henne being a rookie and only Becks second year they have the most to gain...

12. quelonio Season Ticket Holder

Nov 27, 2007
    JJ inherited Marino and McCarthy inherited Favre, Dungy inherited Manning and Tarvaris Jackson was drafted by Brad Childress.

Last time I checked Beck's work was not the one of either of those three QB's so as to warrant comparing his status to any of those guys.

13. padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    John Beck's best hope of sticking in Miami is to win the job over McCown then play lights ala Drew Brees while Henne is learning NFL offenses, if not it will be McCown and Beck will be the perma back up in 09 until his contract runs out or we trade him.

It's all on John Beck, there is a reason he is throwing 4,000 passes this offseason this is his best shot to start in the NFL and he knows it.