Why in the world would Parcells bring in a new OLine coach?!?

31 replies

FinNastyFinNastyStaffOP
Dec 22, 2007, 11:54 AM

Mortenson is reporting that Parcells may bring in current Cowboys oline coach Tony Sparano???

Why in the WORLD would we replace Houck?!?

I'm hoping that he would be brought in, in a different capasity...

FinsPensFanFinsPensFanForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 12:01 PM

Why wouldn't he? What has Houck done that warrants his staying here?

I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone get the axe. What they have been doing has not been too successful.

All work and no play makes Mike a dull boy...

DRdredd1050New Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:04 PM

"Mbs3009 wrote:

Why wouldn't he? What has Houck done that warrants his staying here?

I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone get the axe. What they have been doing has not been too successful.

Agreed.

MelbournePhinMelbournePhinNew Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:04 PM

houck has done a good job this season

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Dec 22, 2007, 12:07 PM

Houck has done a good job every season that he has been here I have thought. I have thought that he has maximized the talent available to him each season. He can't help that the talent he has had available has been poor. If this team ever spent high picks (as in day 1, preferably rd 2)) on OL (like they did with Carey and Satele), I have no doubt we could have one of the best OLs in the league with Houck as our coach.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 12:07 PM

I wouldnt be upset at this. I think Houck has done a pretty solid job with what weve got, but Dallas has one hell of an OLine as well, both are good. I t hink in the end it will just simply be that Parcells goes with "his" kind of guys. And if they have a good track record (like Tony) I dont care.

I mean we are 1-13 right now, NOBODY should feel good about themselves and the job they are doing.

FinsPensFanFinsPensFanForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 12:10 PM

I don't think this season has been going to well for us. That is a reflection of the coaches IMO. Whether it's HC down to the waterboy.

None of them deserve to be back next year.

All work and no play makes Mike a dull boy...

MelbournePhinMelbournePhinNew Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:16 PM

"Mbs3009 wrote:

I don't think this season has been going to well for us. That is a reflection of the coaches IMO. Whether it's HC down to the waterboy.

None of them deserve to be back next year.

no onus placed on the players shoulders??

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 12:17 PM

The only reason Parcells would bring in a new OL coach is if Houck retires, and if Parcells doesn't think Houck's assistant coach would be very good. Houck's contract expires this year.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Nublar7Nublar7New Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:19 PM

I watched the Mort segment also this morning. He wasn't talking about replacing Houck with Sparano. He was talking about replacing Cameron with Sparano at HC.

Dec 22, 2007, 12:21 PM

"Mbs3009 wrote:

Why wouldn't he? What has Houck done that warrants his staying here?

I wouldn't be surprised to see everyone get the axe. What they have been doing has not been too successful.

Are you serious? How about getting our offensive line to play extrememly well considering the talent level of the players in it? I mean, we've had a revolving door at LG, with a SCRUB at RT... and yet we've been able to run pretty effectively with street FAs at RB. Plus, protection has been damn good too (minus the all out blitzing we were getting with Beck in).

Houck is very valuable to our team...

DRdredd1050New Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:22 PM

"Mbs3009 wrote:

I don't think this season has been going to well for us. That is a reflection of the coaches IMO. Whether it's HC down to the waterboy.

None of them deserve to be back next year.

Come on, the waterboy hs been damn good this year! Did you see the squirt he gave Camarillo after that 60+ OT TD catch last week? Right into the mouth, not a drop on the facemask!!

FinsPensFanFinsPensFanForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 12:26 PM

"dredd1050 wrote:

Come on, the waterboy hs been damn good this year! Did you see the squirt he gave Camarillo after that 60+ OT TD catch last week? Right into the mouth, not a drop on the facemask!!

Ok..the Waterboy could stay!

All work and no play makes Mike a dull boy...

BelieverintealBelieverintealNew Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:29 PM

I think most importantly, the players like Houck and they look to him as a mentor.

"Treat a person as he is, and he will remain as he is. Treat him as he could be, and he will become what he should be."
- Jimmy Johnson

CACarabinieri44New Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:29 PM

dude, good question...

look at the NFC Pro Bowlers, pretty much every Cowboy offensive lineman, is on that squad!

how many Dolphin lineman are on the AFC pro bowl?? none.

SMOKESMOKEForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 12:44 PM

Maybe he's gonna get rid of everybody and start over. The Cowboys have one of the best olines in the league so I won't mind if we get their coach. Houck has done a questionable job in my opinion. The oline has been decent this year but still inconsistant. Pass protection is still a huge problem, even with eight in the box. The past few years the oline has been mediocre under Houck. You could argue it's the lack of talent but their are olinemen drafted while Houck has been here who continue to make no impact

Dec 22, 2007, 12:46 PM

"Nublar7 wrote:

I watched the Mort segment also this morning. He wasn't talking about replacing Houck with Sparano. He was talking about replacing Cameron with Sparano at HC.

Did he? Good! I must have misunderstood him...

BTW... GREAT to see you Nublar!

Dec 22, 2007, 12:47 PM

"Carabinieri44 wrote:

dude, good question...

look at the NFC Pro Bowlers, pretty much every Cowboy offensive lineman, is on that squad!

how many Dolphin lineman are on the AFC pro bowl?? none.

Talent on the Dallas line >>>>>>>>> Talent on the Fins line

MAMarino1384New Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:48 PM

Sparano would be brought in as HC or offensive coordinator, not o-line coach. He may help with the o-line but he wouldn't be brought in with the title of o-line coach.

Dec 22, 2007, 12:55 PM

"SMOKE wrote:

Maybe he's gonna get rid of everybody and start over. The Cowboys have one of the best olines in the league so I won't mind if we get their coach. Houck has done a questionable job in my opinion. The oline has been decent this year but still inconsistant. Pass protection is still a huge problem, even with eight in the box. The past few years the oline has been mediocre under Houck. You could argue it's the lack of talent but their are olinemen drafted while Houck has been here who continue to make no impact

Because they have been low round picks bro. Anyone drafted with any significance in talent has turned out to be great (Carey, Satele). Its not like we are drafting 2nd round linemen and they are turning out to be busts.

Alabi was a 5th rounder
Toledo was a 4th - and while he showed talent, he has been injured consistantly. That isnt coaching
Hadnot was a 6th - And is playing much better than a 6th rounder

CACarabinieri44New Member
Dec 22, 2007, 12:58 PM

u know, bringing in people who' ve never been head coaches before, isnt working for us. Cam didnt do so great, Saban (HC in college but not NFL) didnt do so great. if we are gonna get an HC, perhaps it should be someone who's HC'ed in the NFL.

cant Parcells be head coach, even tho hes VP of football operations?

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Dec 22, 2007, 01:17 PM

"Carabinieri44 wrote:

cant Parcells be head coach, even tho hes VP of football operations?

No. He doesn't want to be a head coach anymore.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Dec 22, 2007, 01:21 PM

Is there a link? Or was this a tv report?

Dec 22, 2007, 01:25 PM

"VanDolPhan wrote:

Is there a link? Or was this a tv report?

TV report...

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Dec 22, 2007, 01:38 PM

I think Houck is a good coach but I don't think anyone is safe on this team, why would it surprise anyone for him to get rid of any coach or player for that matter? Might just be a case of him wanting a different style or mentality on the line.