Written response to child support summons
31 replies
So I have my son half the week. Every week. and now I have gotten a summons to pay child support. It is asking for a "written response", it would seem to her lawyer. I dont have the money for a lawyer. Ive searched the internet on what to include during a written response, and I cant find anything. Anyone have any idea about this? Am I just writing a letter stating why I shouldn't be paying child support? I am in the dark here.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
"Nappy Roots wrote:
So I have my son half the week. Every week. and now I have gotten a summons to pay child support. It is asking for a "written response", it would seem to her lawyer. I dont have the money for a lawyer. Ive searched the internet on what to include during a written response, and I cant find anything. Anyone have any idea about this? Am I just writing a letter stating why I shouldn't be paying child support? I am in the dark here.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
While I don't have experience in this nor am I a lawyer, I have to strongly recommend you seek out a legal advice. A lost child support battle can significantly burden your financial life for many years. This is something you want to get right.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
"finsincebirth wrote:
While I don't have experience in this nor am I a lawyer, I have to strongly recommend you seek out a legal advice. A lost child support battle can significantly burden your financial life for many years. This is something you want to get right.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
No i agree. But heres the thing. Its like $3,000. I dont have close to that. If I wasn't supporting my kid half the time I may have it.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
Mail this:
http://www.poopsenders.com/order/
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"Nappy Roots wrote:
No i agree. But heres the thing. Its like $3,000. I dont have close to that. If I wasn't supporting my kid half the time I may have it.
It may not be the answer you wanna hear but take out a loan for the 3000. That's easy enough to pay back and it's not a huge sum compared to what you may end up paying. Like was stated earlier, you want to get this right. You don't want to be roped in to a binding agreement that has you overpaying for bs. Borrow it from a bank or a family member. Give whatever as collateral if need be. It's easy enough to pay 3000 back assuming you're working. Most loan like that can be stretched over 2-5 years at a reasonable rate.
Been through this more than once, hopefully you and the mother are on good terms. Contact her, take her out to lunch come to an agreement on compensation (if possible), if it goes to the courts, you will pretty much have to pay.
Is custody hers? Or do you have documentation of joint custody?
Swallow your pride and try to get her to agree to like $50 a week or something. I don't know your wages, but i was hammered with $123 and $121 per WEEK, per child. Yes, basically 1k a month for kids I already paid for most of their care.
The system is brutal and they will win. Do all you can to sweet talk her then get it legalized.

Lawyer up is the best advice. My brother didn't, and has been paying a large sum for years for 3 kids that live with him half the time.

Man not the responses I wanted to hear. But I guess you guys are probably right.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
Agreed sell stuff. Take out a loan. SEll your body. Whatever. Get a lawyer. It may suck now but can pay dividends down the road financially relationship wise etc. And keep records and find any records you have of past money you've paid.
thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs. 

Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.
I think in FL, if you split the time with the kids 50/50, you don't have to play child support.
Nappy first off is the letter from the Courts? Or her lawyer?
It will determine my next answer.
“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod
"finyank13 wrote:
Nappy first off is the letter from the Courts? Or her lawyer?
It will determine my next answer.
Police officer delivered it to my door.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
Nappy, do not do this alone. Go to Legal Services or the legal aid society of your county bar association. Even if you don't qualify for free representation, they'll give you some guidance.
Does the letter include a financial affidavit for you to fill out? Have Legal Services help you fill it out. Courts don't put you in jail for nonsupport unless you are financially able to pay and refuse. Depending on your financial situation, the judge may enter an income deduction order or something similar so an amount is withheld from your pay every pay period. The court will work with you if you don't have the money.
"cdz12250 wrote:
Nappy, do not do this alone. Go to Legal Services or the legal aid society of your county bar association. Even if you don't qualify for free representation, they'll give you some guidance.
Does the letter include a financial affidavit for you to fill out? Have Legal Services help you fill it out. Courts don't put you in jail for nonsupport unless you are financially able to pay and refuse. Depending on your financial situation, the judge may enter an income deduction order or something similar so an amount is withheld from your pay every pay period. The court will work with you if you don't have the money.
The paperwork included HER financial paperwork. But nothing for me. Just said I needed a written response. That's why I was so confused. Assumed I would just go to the court house and fill out that paperwork. Wasn't the case.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
"Nappy Roots wrote:
The paperwork included HER financial paperwork. But nothing for me. Just said I needed a written response. That's why I was so confused. Assumed I would just go to the court house and fill out that paperwork. Wasn't the case.
Pm me with what county you're in.
Not sure how it is in FL, but in Ohio a lawyer is a waste of money as the determination of CS is based on a pre determined formula. A lawyer is a good idea if you go for custody, not to hammer out anything financially with CS.
Again, if you can reach an agreement with her in writing and present it to the courts is the best route.

"McLovin wrote:
Cheapest way out....
Or just hire FinD as your legal rep.
You want a toe?
"McLovin wrote:
Cheapest way out....
Or just hire FinD as your legal rep.
"Fin D wrote:
You want a toe?
Ah. So that's what happened to my old landlord.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
For the record, I spoke with a lawyer today. They pretty much steered me AWAY from getting a lawyer just yet. I didn't respond in the necessary 20 days, but she said there was default against me, and instead a final hearing on April 9th. She said basically because I am saying I have 50/50 custody, and the mom will likely not allow that to happen, it will be immediately dismissed and moved on to the next step because the Department of Revenue will not deal with custody or time sharing issues. Then, I need to hire a lawyer.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
"Nappy Roots wrote:
For the record, I spoke with a lawyer today. They pretty much steered me AWAY from getting a lawyer just yet. I didn't respond in the necessary 20 days, but she said there was default against me, and instead a final hearing on April 9th. She said basically because I am saying I have 50/50 custody, and the mom will likely not allow that to happen, it will be immediately dismissed and moved on to the next step because the Department of Revenue will not deal with custody or time sharing issues. Then, I need to hire a lawyer.
Exactly. Sounds like they have a similar process like Ohio does.
Wish you the best of luck, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask...I have some experience unfortunately.

Welp, the lawyer was wrong. Went today to our hearing today. She just recently got a new job. makes $2,000 more a month then me. Admitted in court that I have him monday-thursday morning, and I was court ordered TODAY to pay $98 a week. Despite objecting because of my 50% custody. This system is ****ing awful. Should be illegal. Its pathetic.
Wilson Performance on Facebook
Wilson Performance on Twitter
:hammertime::hammertime:
"Nappy Roots wrote:
Welp, the lawyer was wrong. Went today to our hearing today. She just recently got a new job. makes $2,000 more a month then me. Admitted in court that I have him monday-thursday morning, and I was court ordered TODAY to pay $98 a week. Despite objecting because of my 50% custody. This system is ****ing awful. Should be illegal. Its pathetic.
Welcome to fatherhood.
TYou have no rights in the eyes of the court. She will get whatever she wants. Your only value to the court is a child support check. You will pay her money and she will use your kid as a deduction on her taxes.
My advice is to contact fathersrights.org and to hire yourself a female lawyer who is a pitbull. Prepare to be disappointed with the end results and having the courts make it clear to you that you are an insignificant part of the proceedings.
"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
Frederic Bastiat
"Nappy Roots wrote:
Welp, the lawyer was wrong. Went today to our hearing today. She just recently got a new job. makes $2,000 more a month then me. Admitted in court that I have him monday-thursday morning, and I was court ordered TODAY to pay $98 a week. Despite objecting because of my 50% custody. This system is ****ing awful. Should be illegal. Its pathetic.
I was not a party to your conversation with the lawyer but I am confused reading your report of that conversation. It sounds like the hearing went exactly the way the lawyer described? You were in default on a hearing and were told the Department of Revenue is not interested in custody or timing. Isn't that what occurred?
If you want redress (and yes the odds are against you) it will have to be back in the court that established the custody parameters.
OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.