Armando Reporting We're Trading Up for Joe Burrow
130 replies
Stay put at 5 and draft Tua
Otherwise is fot available stockpile talent and draft down if needed
Then next year with a great roster all in for Trevor
So far it's been leaked that we've loved Burrow and Herbert. Everything is pointing Tua's way then.
If we gave up three firsts to move up 4 spots in a draft... Someone needs to be fired.
"Wilkimania wrote:
So far it's been leaked that we've loved Burrow and Herbert. Everything is pointing Tua's way then.
In a way...yeah, it really is.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"Etrius24 wrote:
If we gave up three firsts to move up 4 spots in a draft... Someone needs to be fired.
I disagree, not if you think Burrow is the next Montana or comparable name. We literally have two shots/seasons to land our franchise QB- is it Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love or Lawrence? Of all the names, Lawrence is likely the most expensive to acquire but if Miami thinks he's the guy, then so be it...but don't waste an early 1st this season on a QB you don't have a lot of confidence in. Trade back, pick up an extra 1st next season and get ready to make the move for Trevor.
The same goes for Burrow though- if they really think he's the man, then now is the time to get your 12-year quarterback.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
I guess it depends on how much you think a QB has to do to be considered a Franchise QB?
Tannehill just went nuts for the Titans and got them within a couple of plays of the superbowl. But nobody considers him to be someone you can win with... He was a top 10 QB in the NFL last year.
So when you look at Herbert and Love, Burrow... etc... If we look at the reaction and the arguments made against Tannehill a top 10 QB... and then apply the arguments made that he is not good enough as a top 10 guy...
Okay so how many elite NFL QB's are there in the league that ARE good enough?
1. Rodgers
2. Wilson
3. Watson
4. Mahomes
5. Brees
6. Jackson
7. Ryan
And this is generous because Watson and Jackson have not done shit in the playoffs to show they can win anything.
Prescott??
Using the logic we see here you are basically saying that you expect Love, Tua, Herbert, and or Burrow to all be better than Brees or Ryan
Which is pretty unlikely. One of them might be...If they are extremely lucky... Play on good teams, with good coaches and avoid injuries.
So many people improperly use the word Elite.
In terms of the NFL being a top 10 QB does not make you elite... That just makes you above average. To be elite you would need to be one of the top 2 QB's in the NFL
So if you are justifying trading three first round picks to move up 4 spots in a draft... The QB will have to be better than Rodgers or Brees...
Remember Tannehill being a top 10 QB in the NFL is not good enough... That is the argument several keep making.
And the fact is that with Flores... Tannehill would absolutely be good enough to win... and make a push to get to a Superbowl. To get that level of play on a really well run team with a great coach...
I think getting an elite QB is a hard thing to do. At this point, I have no idea if Burrow, Tua, Herbert, or Love could be or someone else will be elite. Why was Brady so successful? Why was Troy Aikman? Two QB's, one taken in the 5th round, the other 1st overall. People say Brady was a system QB. Now that he is in Tampa, we will find out, but I think it comes down to a few things. 1) He understands the defense and knows where to go with the ball 2) He is accurate 2) He is driven and very competitive. He has the IT factor. When the game is on the line, he is calm under pressure and can lead a team to victory. Now, when people think of Aikman, what do they think of? A game manager who was surrounded by a superior talent (OL, Emmit Smith, Michael Irving, and a very good defense).
Elite QB or game manager? I think we can win either way. If we can get an elite, that would probably be the best way to go. In the meantime, while we are waiting for THAT special guy, we should continue to build the talent, especially the OL. That's what helped Tannehill this year. Get that OL going so our guy has protection, and we can run the ball when we need too. Couple that with the defense Flores is building and then, look out! We will be cooking with gas.
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
Oh, I agree... We are building the defense... We just brought in a dependable back... and we have added a couple of nice additions to the O line already.
Great special teams.... A coach that has a plan... Stingy defense and an actual running game... Miami is going to start winning football games and be a tough game week in and week out.
"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:
You have no idea how many times the situation I have described may or may not have played out. The thing about keeping things private is that they dont leak and you never know.
Eli had to because SD was going to draft him anyway. Had they met and decided a trade was mutually beneficial it wouldnt have been necessary.
FWIW I'm not saying Burrow doesn't want to be a Bengal. I'm saying his lack of public crying doesnt mean that he is okay with it.
Yes we do
http://www.footballperspective.com/history-of-trading-the-first-overall-pick-in-the-nfl-draft/
5 times since the merger has the number 1 pick been traded for a QB (including Eli Manning and John Elway).
Burrow has come out and publicly stated he would love to play for the Bengals... His parents house is an hour and a half away.
Desperation for something to talk about is the only reason that foolish rumour got started.
"Pauly wrote:
Yes we do
http://www.footballperspective.com/history-of-trading-the-first-overall-pick-in-the-nfl-draft/
5 times since the merger has the number 1 pick been traded for a QB (including Eli Manning and John Elway).
It's not exclusive to the #1 pick. The question isnt how many times the #1 pick was traded.
One of these QB's is going to be a great one, one is going to bust, one or two are going to have long careers. It's a gamble, but if WE are in love with one of these guys, then we need to make it happen. If not, then I suggest trading back and acquiring more picks to use on the QB that we want. I personally will be happy with whatever we do. Going big and trading for Burrow is definitely an option that I am fine with. Staying put and taking Tua or Love or Herbert is also fine with me.
"KeyFin wrote:
The same goes for Burrow though- if they really think he's the man, then now is the time to get your 12-year quarterback.
Considering how important, most of us are saying it is, to get an elite QB, what does it say about Burrow IF the Bengals are willing to trade him for any price? I mean, you really can't put a value on that if it is considered that having an elite QB gives a team the best chance to win.
Note: Not directed at you or anyone in particular. Just a general thought.
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
"Surfs Up 99 wrote:
Considering how important, most of us are saying it is, to get an elite QB, what does it say about Burrow IF the Bengals are willing to trade him for any price?
That the Bengals are an incompetent organization?
"Rick 1966 wrote:
That the Bengals are an incompetent organization?
LOL! I expected a reply with something along those lines. :-)
Leadership isn't getting people to line up behind you; it is getting them to join you.
Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.
The little things matter. Winning starts by not beating ourselves.
Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.
Team Tua.
Miami Dolphins Homer!
Top tier Defense 100% needed.
Keep your defense off the field your odds are up.
Control the ball (no turnovers)
Keep penalties to a minimum.
Clock management
Play to you opponents weaknesses.
Now with this in place yes Tannehill could very well win a Super Bowl. It drove me crazy watching the defense work their ass off to turn around with a three and out from the offense as a Dolphin . Titans did much better at getting those first downs.
You must be capable to MOVE THE CHAINS be it run heavy or passing because if you can't do your part to help the defense your not going to win.
That being said elite or not I believe Tannehill can be that QB.
He's not here anymore and Fitzmagic is a temporary filler so we need a new young QB. Flores better shine on this draft or we are %$#@#*.
That's why they play the games!:yes:
"Surfs Up 99 wrote:
Considering how important, most of us are saying it is, to get an elite QB, what does it say about Burrow IF the Bengals are willing to trade him for any price? I mean, you really can't put a value on that if it is considered that having an elite QB gives a team the best chance to win.
Note: Not directed at you or anyone in particular. Just a general thought.
Other than it just being "The Bungals" lol, I think they could possibly look at the situation as a 3 for 1 deal. True...They could be incredibly high on Burrow, but maybe Burrow isn't feeling Cincinnati quite as much? They may know this and decide that three first round picks for him is worth it. I mean....They could possibly walk away with Chase Young, an offensive lineman or other starter, AND a potential starting QB with those three picks. To me, if a player didn't want to play for my team and I held the cards to drafting him, then yeah....I would get all that I could for that pick. Burrow may be become an all time great QB (who knows), but it's all for nothing if he doesn't want to play in Ohio. In short, that is only way I see the Bengals trading that pick to us.
"xphinfanx wrote:
Top tier Defense 100% needed.
Keep your defense off the field your odds are up.
Control the ball (no turnovers)
Keep penalties to a minimum.
Clock management
Play to you opponents weaknesses.Now with this in place yes Tannehill could very well win a Super Bowl. It drove me crazy watching the defense work their *** off to turn around with a three and out from the offense as a Dolphin . Titans did much better at getting those first downs.
You must be capable to MOVE THE CHAINS be it run heavy or passing because if you can't do your part to help the defense your not going to win.
That being said elite or not I believe Tannehill can be that QB.
He's not here anymore and Fitzmagic is a temporary filler so we need a new young QB. Flores better shine on this draft or we are %$#@#*.
The proof is in the pudding...
Gase went to the Jets they drafted a top QB at the top of the first round. They brought in a top 5 NFL workhorse running back and gave him half decent targets to throw to.
Two years in under Gase Darnold does not look like a franchise QB... The Jets have sucked... Their offense has severely underperformed.
Tannehill gets the fuck out of Miami... With a top 10 RB and a half decent O line and starts playing out of his fooking mind. Leading a team to the AFC championship after winning 2 playoff games on the road and leading the NFL in several important categories.
The problem was never Tannehill.... It was shitty coaching and talent around him in Miami.
When did our defense ever force a 3 and out? The offense hasn't been great, but the defense has not been able to get off the field for like 6 years.
"resnor wrote:
When did our defense ever force a 3 and out? The offense hasn't been great, but the defense has not been able to get off the field for like 6 years.
They had 2 in the last game against the New England Patriots
Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain
I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty
I'm not saying that I would do this. I am in the stay put and draft Herbert camp, but IF they are really sold on Burrow becoming a great, franchise type of QB, then Hyde makes a good case here for trading up.
Hyde: Hey, Cincinnati, here’s three, first-round picks for Joe Burrow | Commentary
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-burrow-trade-20200320-u7mll7ysinavpghilnvja7bsau-story.html
"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:
They had 2 in the last game against the New England Patriots
Yes, the defense improved under Flores. But I was just getting at I don't think the defense can really lay much blame at the offenses feet for their poor performance for years.
If Burrow or Tua is a cannot miss Drew Brees type of player who will be a top 5 QB for the next 15 years... I would say hell yes.
Anything less than that level... Do not trade up
I was on the Burrow train even before Tua got hurt. I’m ok with 2 1sts and 1-2 2nd/3rds if Cincy would take that. Not sure I’d be willing to give up 3 1sts