Dolphins attend Pro day for supplemental draft safety Jalen Thompson

7 replies

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporterOP
Jul 8, 2019, 07:04 PM

There aren't any "vs." youtube videos isolating Jalen Thompson, but you can watch him #34 in "vs. Washington State defense" videos:

He's a bit of an odd duck in terms of his role- Washington State usually lined him up wide over the offenses passing strength, where he generally is picking up the #2 or #3 receiver directly in a bunch of different disguised coverage moving from a safety-like positioning. He's almost more of a corner, or corner/safety hybrid than a true safety in the classical NFL sense.

I'm kind of torn on how the Dolphins will feel about him- In some respects I think his skill set might be really compelling to the team as a potential guy in the Duron Harmon/Devin McCourty spectrum. Someone who serves as the second free safety, some of the dime roles, etc.

On the other hand though, he might be kind of a luxury in the sense that you've got to train him to play as a center-fielder, and that might REALLY be the thing you want- you're already in a situation where the coaching staff seems to see Minkah Fitzpatrick as very compelling as a dime/slot corner and not FS, to the point where you're already maybe dislodging Bobby McCain and another guy risks basically marginalizing him.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 8, 2019, 07:13 PM

I agree- unless he could start eventually at corner opposite X, I don't see where he fits unless you plan on cutting Jones and McDonald loose next year. But since this is a long-term rebuild that may be exactly what they're thinking about.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Jul 8, 2019, 09:09 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

I agree- unless he could start eventually at corner opposite X, I don't see where he fits unless you plan on cutting Jones and McDonald loose next year. But since this is a long-term rebuild that may be exactly what they're thinking about.

I dunno, I think it's quite likely Minkah Fitzpatrick is predominantly a corner. Barry Jackson said that the slot was basically his, and that he's had some work on the boundary. I think it's quite possible they might put in the work to make sure they can scheme him as a base boundary corner- he'd work real well at the Tampa-2 stuff that they like to throw in, at least.

The Patriots seem to want to carry a SS and two FS, so there might be room despite a relative logjam right now.

Jul 9, 2019, 10:50 AM

I think if and where the team bids on him will tell us a lot about their long term plans. Not everything of course but a lot. He looks like a good fit if a regular dose of 6 db's is in the Phins phuture.

OHIOPHINPHAN
Witness to the first ever practice of the Miami Dolphins, 1966.

HooliganHooliganSupporter
Jul 9, 2019, 01:08 PM

What looks like a logjam now might be a position of need at the bye week. Might make for some creative blitz packages.

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Jul 9, 2019, 02:06 PM

"Hooligan wrote:

What looks like a logjam now might be a position of need at the bye week. Might make for some creative blitz packages.

What is this "blitz" you speak of?

invidinvidSupporter
Jul 9, 2019, 03:20 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

I agree- unless he could start eventually at corner opposite X, I don't see where he fits unless you plan on cutting Jones and McDonald loose next year. But since this is a long-term rebuild that may be exactly what they're thinking about.

I think this is very much factoring into their interest.

dolfan22dolfan22Supporter
Jul 9, 2019, 03:42 PM

Tony Pauline‏ @TonyPauline 33s33 seconds ago
Can confirm; the Green Bay Packers flew Jalen Thompson/S to their facility after yesterday's workout for medicals and interviews in preparation for tomorrow's supplemental draft.