1. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    OK...This ought to get some emotional reactions....

First of all very good Alabama Florida game...second Florida provided examples at the end of the game why it is easy to dislike the Gators....third the Texas "....argument".

First...good game not the epic it could have been but Florida, Texas and Oklahoma are definitely playing the best football at the end of the year...

Second #63 kicking the bama player on the last play and 51 going after JPW on the last INT and also 51 kicking JPW on the play before make it easy to dislike UF.....showing at least a little class would be nice when you just opened a can of W.A.

Thirdly personally it is easy to get caught up in the emotions and look at the moment you are living and ignore the totality of the season and evaluate with perspective....which leads me to this...I personally think that Oklahoma and Florida are right now playing the best football, but the NC game is about the 2008 season......so i would vote for a Texas/Oklahoma rematch if i had a vote. I have no illusions that it will not happen if OU wins against Mizzou but the texas argument is valid. the reason is this...and again without the emotions of seeing a game end a few minuets ago and evaluting the results of the entire year I also think Texas desrves the NC game and OU ...if they beat Mizzou.

Texas lost on the road on the last play to the #7 BCS team...Florida lost at home to a team not even in the BCS top 40. OU lost to a top 3 BCS team at a neutral site, UCS lost bad on the road to a team that is not near the top 40 BCS...it is pretty clear to me when the emotions are removed that it should be based on totality of the season that the rankings should be....OU, Texas, Florida USC, Bama Texas Tech in that order.

As for the UT, OU and Florida conference debate...the bottom line is that OU played the 12th toughest schedule, UT the 17th and Florida the 28th toughest.......versus the BCS top 30 OU was 5-1, UT was 3-1 and UF was 3-1. Versus the someone in the top 10 OU was 2-1, UT was 1-1 and UF was 1-0 (Bama). The B12 was overall about a 4.5-5% tougher conference by the Sagarin rankings also.

So although I have no illusion that if OU wins vs. Mizzou that it will be OU-UF in the NC game, that the most deserving game is a UT-OU rematch. Florida won a NC by playing FSU in a rematch and i think the most deserving game based on the whole season is UT-OU although the best game right now is UF-OU.

2. DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I do kind of feel bad for Texas because they have the "best" loss but it wont matter. They should blame their conference for using the BCS ranking as a tiebreaker.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  3. Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

That is all well and good, but WHEN they lost has something to do with this as well. The bottom line for the National Championship Game is supposed to be having the top 2 teams in the country going at it. To me, that is Oklahoma and Florida.

4. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I agree and strongly disagree.....I also think the best two teams are OU and UF...RIGHT NOW....but if the NC game is about who is playing best at the end of the year...then why is Buffalo not in the BCS?...after all right now they beat the #10 team in the country by 18?...my point is that it is arbitrary by everyone's own bias as to what "currently" means.......the RESULTS of the entire season are what SHOULD count...after all it is the 2008 NC Game not the Week 13 NC game.

The record is what the record is...for the whole year.

5. Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I disagree with this greatly. If that were the case then Texas would be playing this week instead of OU.

Bottom line is that you are suppose to get better as the season goes on and after OU and UF lost early on, they went out and dominated their emaining schedule. Then Texas lost to the same team that OU would crush a few weeks later.

You have to take the two teams playing the best football down the stretch.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  6. rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The kick was inexcusable.

I thought the classless one was JPW. Spikes saying something (and not swinging) to the guy grabbing his face mask and not letting go was perfectly reasonable.

Florida is clearly one of the two best teams in the country. The Oklahoma/Texas argument is a toss up. I think the game most people want to see is UF/OU. I think there would only be a small, mostly biased group that would want UT/OU as the championship game.

7. Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

And Fox wouldn't be one of them. Tim Tebow is the star of college football, like it or not. I would think Fox and its affiliates would love to eature hi on the biggest stage they can. He is a ratings getter, to say the least.

8. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    I had no doubts that most would disagree...I often offer the contrarian opinion. I just look at a season as a whole and not just the end of it.

Mainge likes this.
  9. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Good thing is that we will see. If OU blows UF out then you will probably have a national champ that lost to the #2 team in the country and BOTH will have 1 loss...not real "fair".......

I do not think it is SO clear that Florida is one of the top 2 for this SEASON...top 3 ...yes absolutely...but UT can easily be considered top 2 AND they did beat OU at a neutral site....I do agree though that OU-UF IS the game the "neutrals" want to see.

gafinfan likes this.
  10. Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    All this coming from a Gator hater

Cuban Dave 9 and Phinz420 like this.
  11. Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I think the most important piece of this puzzle is that Texas didn't even win it's conference. They didn't even win their division in there conference.

Phinz420 and Samphin like this.
  12. muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    An eight team playoff would remove all doubt about the best team in the country. Too bad that will never happen because people will continue to eat up the crap the BCS feeds them and ask for seconds. This is why I rarely watch college football anymore. Give me the NFL where champions are decided on the field.

Samphin likes this.
  13. aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    It was great to see Saban lose.

Oboy and Samphin like this.
  14. Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

EXCELLENT point. If you can't win your division, do you really belong in the National Championship game?

Oboy and Mainge like this.
  15. Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Okay, the WHOLE season shows that Florida dropped 30+ on every team in the SEC and at least 26 on every team they played. Since their one loss, they have outscored their opponents 445-117. That is an avergae score of 49.4 to 13. When you AVERAGE a margin of victory of 36 ponts over the last nine games, seven of which are SEC opponents, you are playing great. And that is NINE games, which means it wasn't just the tail end of the season in which they played well, it was the entire season.

Phinz420 likes this.
  16. alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    In my opinion, its clear that UF is the top team in the country. I have no doubt about it. The biggest question many have is, does Oklahoma or Texas deserve to go in? I think its Oklahoma and after last nights win, it should be UF/Oklahoma.

Btw, tonight is the bowl selection special at 8.

Phinz420 likes this.
  17. Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

They were tied for the Divison so they did not lose the divison. :up:

Just because Oklahoma went to the Championship game does not mean they won outright. The rules were in place to give the highest ranked team a better shot at a National title

18. Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I want to see Utah vs Boise state.

Oboy likes this.
  19. DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Wont happen, but it would be a fun game.

20. HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    As a bowl game or for the NC? Florida and Oklahoma are clearly the best two teams right now, with Texas right there. We don't need a playoff, a +1 system solves everything IMO.

21. Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Either one would be fine with me. I would not say Oklahoma and Florida are clearly the best two teams right now, though they appear to be 1 and 2. I am certain some teams could beat them (and in fact it has happened to both already).

Also, will they be the best two teams after sitting at home for a month?

22. Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    What if Texas and Penn State both won their bowl games, who gets to play in the +1?

23. DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Wouldnt any team playing in the title run into that same issue? So what's your point really?

No one is unbeatable, that by itself doesnt mean UF and OU arent the two best teams. A couple other teams might be in the discussion, but Utah and Boise St wouldnt be two of those teams.

24. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    If you are referring to me...no I am definitely no Gator fan, nor am I a UT or OU fan...but that has nothing to do with how I looked at the situation and the analysis of the 2008 schedule and results of the three schools......gator fans will undoubtedly have a differing opinion and those of us that do not care for particularly Urban Meyer will have other views...still it is what it is...Just because I am no Gator fan oes not change the fact they lost at home to an average at best team and UT lost to a top 10 BCS team now does it?

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  25. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    OK...this WHOLE season...question...did Florida lose to a team that was not even rank in the top 20 BCS teams...at home? Yes or no will suffice...

Second question...did UT lose on he road on the last play to a top 10 team? Yes or no will suffice....

As for their numbers...their schedule was 28th, the SEC was very down this year ...UT was 14th.....The Citadel...LSU very down year, FSU was average, and UGa was only slightly above average..that is it.....

i am not saying that UF is not a very very good team...IMHO they are one of the top 3 and probably playing best right now...but for the year and based on wins and losses and the totality of the schedule UT deserves to go to the NC game...IMHO...I do not deny the numbers or their ability as a team at all...just that UT has a legit argument IMO.

Fin-Omenal and Stitches like this.
  26. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    They tied and lost on the 6th tie breaker...the sixth....that is a very thin "argument" IMHO.............

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  27. Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Some teams probably handle the break better than others, that's all I mean.

DonShula84 likes this.
  28. Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Regardless, the system is in place and everyone knows the rules. Should have took care of business.

29. Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    They didnt win it because of a bad rule...let's not act like they didnt beat Oklahoma and has by far the best loss of the two teams ahead of them.

30. Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Well, everyone else disagrees with you. Oklahoma and Florida in the BCS Championship. Texas gets Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. Texas, I think may get themselves a shot at the crown if they dismantle the Buckeyes and Florida barely squeeks by Oklahoma or something like that.

31. DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    There really arent split champions anymore, as much as USC wants to deny this reality. We have a championship game, the AP poll doesnt decide jack anymore. The team that holds up the championship trophy, in the national title game, is the champion.

32. Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Didn't they say the same thing about Florida a couple of years ago with Ohio State and Michigan? Florida can't help their schedule. They played what most years would be the toughest schedule in the nation

33. Oboy Premium Member Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    First of all, let me say IMO to play in the NC game you should have won your conference. PERIOD. I agree I think the rule sucks and UT got screwed. NO disagreements there. However, that is the rule and therefore I think they should not be in a champ game. (and they are not) That is the way their conference settles things. I think it is wrong, but hey maybe they fix it this off-season.

Second, I know UF benefited from this a few years ago (12), but I do not think there should EVER be a Champ game where it was a rematch of a regular season game. ESPECIALLY if (like this year) it was played on a neutral site.

Third, yes an AND 1 or a playoff would still fix all these problems. Thus make my 2nd point a mute one...

2Cents, I know you don't like Meyer... Do you think your hatred for him could be clouding your opinion of the UF team? I did not see the kick, I am going to have to go look on youtube for that. That sounds unforgivable. The rest of it was just talking and good fun.

Phinz420 likes this.
  34. HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Penn St. would not be worthy to play in that game IMO. Texas, yes.

35. Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    UT got screwed but what can you do?(Other than isnititute a playoff)

UF and OU are the top teams in the country, that cant be denied though.

36. my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    OB...probably so...you know I dislike Urban Meyer in a major way and you know the reason why...but the Florida team as far as the individual players are as talented as anyone in the country.

I am not sure where I am not giving them the respect on the field they deserve. I absolutely feel they are one of the three top teams in the country, and I really have no problem with their being in the NC game...I think Texas is just or more deserving...but in reality all three are capable and good choice, so I definitely respect the Gator players as a football machine right now...as for the kick...heck things get emotional and you do not just dial them down on the last few plkays of a done game...and things go both ways...I understand that, I have been there...you would hope that particularly the winning side shows more class...but it does not always happen...it is nothing of what the magnitude of what Urban Meyer did personally...heck if 63 (Trautwine?) or 51(Spikes?) were Fins it would not have PO'd me at all...and really does not bother me much anyway........just wish all teams played with more class...but they are kids that have not faced real life things to provide them the perspective that football is just a game yet so they get over emotional and strike out so to speak...

Bottom line UT-OU-UF are all good choices and I just think the entire year should be evaluated more...heck next year I will not even waste my time looking at CFB until week 10 or so since it really does not matter anyway.

BTW...I am not a Gator hater (great school, great tailgates,and killer cocktails)....I AM AN URBAN MEYER HATER!!!!!!

Oboy likes this.