How do we fix this defense?

64 replies

FIFishheadForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2022, 10:29 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

What makes me ill is the bend and let them do whatever they want hoping you won't break defense.

This. Bend but don’t break defenses only get you so far. A great defense should be the proverbial “immovable object “ and be able to impose it’s will on the opposing offense.

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2022, 11:01 AM

"Fishhead wrote:

This. Bend but don’t break defenses only get you so far. A great defense should be the proverbial “immovable object “ and be able to impose it’s will on the opposing offense.

Pats have played a bend don't break style for years. It's fine as long as it stiffens when you get on a shorter field.
After living thru Tom Olivadotti's bend dont break - that always managed to break - I am not a fan of it really, but currently we do pretty well at it. At the end of the day what matters is points on the board - Not yardage given up.

I don't think you can go all out after a QB's like Jackson and this week Allen. You have to get pressure but keep your lane somehow so you make it harder for them to escape the pocket. That's when those guys get really troublesome. That said the Titans had one well timed Safety Blitz early in the game on a 4th down attempt. It didn't get home but it completely disrupted the play and forced the turnover on downs. Gonna have to pick our spots carefully.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Sep 20, 2022, 11:25 AM

"Tin Indian wrote:

Pats have played a bend don't break style for years. It's fine as long as it stiffens when you get on a shorter field.
After living thru Tom Olivadotti's bend dont break - that always managed to break - I am not a fan of it really, but currently we do pretty well at it. At the end of the day what matters is points on the board - Not yardage given up.

I don't think you can go all out after a QB's like Jackson and this week Allen. You have to get pressure but keep your lane somehow so you make it harder for them to escape the pocket. That's when those guys get really troublesome. That said the Titans had one well timed Safety Blitz early in the game on a 4th down attempt. It didn't get home but it completely disrupted the play and forced the turnover on downs. Gonna have to pick our spots carefully.

It worked perfectly against Jackson last year and they were scared of it this year often using max protect early in game. After seeing our soft defense they backed out of it.

I agree Olividotti was horrible defensive years. I was in elevator with him once, and wanted to say "you're terrible!" but he was bigger then I thought he was :)

Lord help us.

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Sep 20, 2022, 11:42 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

It worked perfectly against Jackson last year and they were scared of it this year often using max protect early in game. After seeing our soft defense they backed out of it.

I agree Olividotti was horrible defensive years. I was in elevator with him once, and wanted to say "you're terrible!" but he was bigger then I thought he was :)

Well for reasons I still don't understand since we had put it on tape before, we caught the Ravens completely with their pants down last year. They had no answer for it all game. And they were worried about it enough to spend a bit of time figuring out how to beat it this past offseason.

I have to admit at the time I was ready for Shula to go if for no other reason that he wouldn't fire Tom Olivadotti. He was awful and cost us most of Dan's great years with his sorry defense.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Sep 20, 2022, 11:55 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

Not sure how you can say that bout the second half of last season when the defense was dominate being aggressive. What makes me ill is the bend and let them do whatever they want hoping you won't break defense.

I would counter that you can't just say look at the results without looking deeper into who we were playing and what the circumstances were. During the 7 game win streak, this is what the Dolphins faced:

Week 9: The 4-13 Houson Texans, quarterbacked by Tyrod Taylor, who gift wrapped several turnovers to the Fins. Miami was extremely fortunate to win this game, even as it was.

Week 10: The Baltimore Ravens, who were absolutely decimated by injuries. Credit for the coaches using the aggressive scheme in this game, because it was the right call against this particular opponent in this case. On this night its what needed to happen to squeeze out the win.

Week 11: The 4-13 Jets, quarterbacked by Joe Flacco. The game was actually tied at 14 in the 4th quarter, and Miami would have been losing if not for two missed FGs by the Jets, who put up 380 yards of offense on the day. The game was actually won by the Fins offense, who put together back to back drives totaling almost 15 minutes in the second half and played keep away.

Week 12: The 5-12 Carolina Panthers, quarterbacked by the ghost of Cam Newton. Newton was just absolutely terrible, and was eventually benched. The Fins were aided by RB McCaffery going out injured early on.

Week 13: The 4-13 Giants, quarterbacked by Mike Glennon. Miami should have won this in a laugher, but needed several missed FGs and bad turnovers by the Giants to seal it. Our defense gave up some really easy big gains to NY where the defenders just looked lost, and a better opponent would have probably torched them on that day. They got lucky it wasn't someone decent.

Week 15: The 4-13 Jets again, this time QBd by rookie Zach Wilson. Like the earlier matchup, the game was tied in the 4th quarter. This time at 24, before a late TD by DeVante Parker sealed it for Miami.

Week 16: The Saints, QBd by rookie Ian Book, in his first NFL game. Again, the Dolphins caught the biggest of breaks, when New Orleans was forced to start their 4th QB, and he was essentially a helpless sitting duck.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Sep 24, 2022, 04:03 PM

It’s early, but so far, the lack of a pass rush has been very disappointing. They can still turn it on, but so far…..eeew. I thought it was going to be a strength this year.
They will have to turn it on this week or weez in trouble.

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Sep 24, 2022, 04:53 PM

"Sceeto wrote:

It’s early, but so far, the lack of a pass rush has been very disappointing. They can still turn it on, but so far…..eeew. I thought it was going to be a strength this year.
They will have to turn it on this week or weez in trouble.

This. I think that’s the biggest issue with the defense going back to last year. We have to bring extra guys to get any pressure which works well against bad QB’s but then the good ones rip us a new one.

CBcbradForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2022, 04:18 PM

Defense played great today. On the field for that long and they have the ability to stop the Bills TWICE at the end, once to prevent a TD and the second time to prevent a game-winning FG? Defense is fine. This team is on track for a deep playoff run.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2022, 04:20 PM

defense tired out the offense.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Sep 25, 2022, 04:56 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

defense tired out the offense.

Offense has to sustain drives to help the defense. Defense has to close drives to help the offense. We got very lucky today. There was no standout performance on the field or the sideline. With that being said, I'd rather be lucky than good.

My nerves can't take much more of this...:sad:

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Sep 25, 2022, 06:37 PM

"cbrad wrote:

Defense played great today. On the field for that long and they have the ability to stop the Bills TWICE at the end, once to prevent a TD and the second time to prevent a game-winning FG? Defense is fine. This team is on track for a deep playoff run.

Seriously? Would you be saying that if the Bills didn't screw up three 4th quarter drives?

I'm as thankful and happy as anyone that we won the game, but don't let the W and the opponents gaffs blind you.

Our defense sucks the majority of the time.

CBcbradForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2022, 06:41 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

Seriously? Would you be saying that if the Bills didn't screw up three 4th quarter drives?

I'm as thankful and happy as anyone that we won the game, but don't let the W and the opponents gaffs blind you.

Our defense sucks the majority of the time.

Defense gave up only 17 points to a great offense. Yeah that's fantastic. Also, they stopped Allen twice at the end, as well as in some other crucial situations. Who cares how long they were on the field or how many yards they gave up? Points allowed is what matters. That was great defensive play against a great offense.

Oh.. and the Bills "screwed up" those drives because of our defense!

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Sep 25, 2022, 06:57 PM

"cbrad wrote:

Defense gave up only 17 points to a great offense. Yeah that's fantastic. Also, they stopped Allen twice at the end, as well as in some other crucial situations. Who cares how long they were on the field or how many yards they gave up? Points allowed is what matters. That was great defensive play against a great offense.

Oh.. and the Bills "screwed up" those drives because of our defense!

We look at it completely differently. Nothing is more important than the subjective eyeball test for me. Always.

FIFirelandForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2022, 10:57 PM

It was far from pretty but Buffalo had no punts in week 1 and had no 3rd and 10+ in week 1 or 2. You can't overlook how insane they are on offense.

Letting Allen dink and dunk you do death was painful to watch but it did kind of work. Would have worked a lot better if they can figure out how to tackle him

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2022, 11:18 PM

We have to stop the short yardage stuff. WE got very lucky today and yes I will take it but I want a defense that doesn’t give free yardage,

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Sep 26, 2022, 01:35 AM

man that defense was impressive to me today

when you o,ay he best qb in football playing his hardest hes gonna make the olays he did, but to make the game come down to our team executing and making him make the extraordinary play was the difference..

i said after we went down 7 “i loved what i saw from the defense, i know it sounds weird”

Two TacosTwo TacosSupporter
Sep 26, 2022, 02:09 AM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

defense tired out the offense.

That was amazing. I've seen the reverse many times in that heat, but they made the offense take the the short stuff by constantly blitzing and wore them out. 17 points! Amazing.

________________________________________

"It's a bunch of drunk, mid-30s type of crowd who are very well-educated," Evans said. "Much more vocal. A little bit more crazy. It's a little nastier playing down there, to be honest."

--Sounders Midfielder Brad Evans on Portland vs Seattle Fans--

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Sep 26, 2022, 10:27 AM

"cbrad wrote:

Defense gave up only 17 points to a great offense. Yeah that's fantastic. Also, they stopped Allen twice at the end, as well as in some other crucial situations. Who cares how long they were on the field or how many yards they gave up? Points allowed is what matters. That was great defensive play against a great offense.

Oh.. and the Bills "screwed up" those drives because of our defense!

I agree with you... they screwed up because of the defense constant attacking.

Lord help us.

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Sep 26, 2022, 11:12 AM

While it was a great win we got lucky yesterday in a lot of regards. Our defense has to be better yes it was against good team but we can’t drop these interceptions, we can’t allow cheap screens and passes to go for 9+ yards a catch. Hopefully we can use the next few games to tighten up! Boyer is still not my favorite person and a liability IMHO

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Sep 26, 2022, 11:53 AM

"Dorfdad wrote:

We have to stop the short yardage stuff. WE got very lucky today and yes I will take it but I want a defense that doesn’t give free yardage,

I legitimately think that this was the game plan. I think our goal was to take away what the Bills do best - stretch the field. I think we decided to give them the little stuff but we were not gonna let them have the big chunk plays.

I think that the mentality behind this is that this is exactly how the Bills can get up big quickly. You blink, and suddenly, you are losing 21-3. Once you get into that situation, you have to throw away a large chunk of your playbook. If you make them have longer drives, you effectively shorten the time of the game because there are fewer possessions.

Sep 26, 2022, 01:28 PM

My main grief with what I’m seeing the last two weeks….

When we are facing mobile quarterbacks (Allen/Jackson etc) and have a free rusher in his face…. It needs to be explained, never bite on the ball fakes or jump!

Who cares if he throws it over your head. Force him to make one read and unload under pressure or eat the sack.

Problem is once he gets that player off his feet… it’s game over. QB can now scramble to buy a ton of time and make an easy (unpressured) pass downfield or just run the ball himself.

It’s one thing if you are getting blocked out of the play and jump to obstruct/bat down a pass. Or jump towards a pocket passer (Flacco/Brady ect) who isn’t going anywhere.

But defense needs to be more disciplined when running at Allen types.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 26, 2022, 01:28 PM

"Pennington's Limp Arm wrote:

My main grief with what I’m seeing the last two weeks….

When we are facing mobile quarterbacks (Allen/Jackson etc) and have a free rusher in his face…. It needs to be explained, never bite on the ball fakes or jump!
Who cares if he throws it over your head. Force him to make one read and unload under pressure or eat the sack.

Problem is once he gets that player off his feet… it’s game over. QB can now scramble to buy a ton of time and make an easy (unpressured) pass downfield or just run the ball himself.

It’s one thing if you are getting blocked out of the play and jump to obstruct/bat down a pass. Or jump towards a pocket passer (Flacco/Brady ect) who isn’t going anywhere.
But defense needs to be more disciplined when running at Allen types.

Agreed. 100%

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Puka-headPuka-headSupporter
Sep 28, 2022, 12:44 AM

"Pennington's Limp Arm wrote:

My main grief with what I’m seeing the last two weeks….

When we are facing mobile quarterbacks (Allen/Jackson etc) and have a free rusher in his face…. It needs to be explained, never bite on the ball fakes or jump!

Who cares if he throws it over your head. Force him to make one read and unload under pressure or eat the sack.

Problem is once he gets that player off his feet… it’s game over. QB can now scramble to buy a ton of time and make an easy (unpressured) pass downfield or just run the ball himself.

It’s one thing if you are getting blocked out of the play and jump to obstruct/bat down a pass. Or jump towards a pocket passer (Flacco/Brady ect) who isn’t going anywhere.

But defense needs to be more disciplined when running at Allen types.

1000 likes. My 12 yr old was screaming at the TV Sunday telling guys not to jump just go tackle him!

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Sep 30, 2022, 11:15 AM

last night they were rushing 3 or 4 players, it was horrible to watch. Best QB in the game and you decide to let him have as much time as he needs to find an open receiver? Terrible!

Lord help us.

CBcbradForum Veteran
Sep 30, 2022, 11:42 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

last night they were rushing 3 or 4 players, it was horrible to watch. Best QB in the game and you decide to let him have as much time as he needs to find an open receiver? Terrible!

Our defense was playing well until Tua got injured. Lack of any ability to move the ball afterwards except for one great play to Hill (who is the MVP so far this season for the Dolphins) was the primary reason we couldn't compete afterwards. I think we had a 50/50 chance to win until Tua went down.