Out on a Limb | Dolphins in a Blowout This Week
111 replies
I need Reggie Bush to equal what Martin did in Tampa Bay last night. I have Reggie on my Fantasy team and my opponent had Martin.
"gunn34 wrote:
I need Reggie Bush to equal what Martin did in Tampa Bay last night. I have Reggie on my Fantasy team and my opponent had Martin.
Me too! Same thing happened.
I have a hard time believing we can blow out a team that isn't a disaster (Raiders), but we shall see. The only blowout I can see is the Jaguars game. I hope they prove me wrong this sunday, would love to see one.
1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team
K I K O
"jw3102 wrote:
You gave your opinion of what you think will happen on Sunday. I have no problem with your prediction of a Miami blowout win. I just don't happen to agree with your logic and I expect a very close game. I'm not saying the Dolphins won't win, but if they do, I think it will be by three points or less. It is just a matter of opinions and it has nothing to do with the , "constellation of situational factors", you refer too.
My point is only that you shouldn't hear me saying the team will blow out the Jets because of the Dolphins' general ability, because I'm not. I don't think this has become a team that stands a good chance of blowing teams out because the team has become that good. What I think is that the stars are aligning in such a way as to produce a blowout this week IMO, regardless of the team's general ability.
In other words, it's not like I'm putting forth some unsophisticated (and IMO inaccurate) sentiment like, "Wow, we're 3-3 and so much better than anyone thought! Now this team can blow people away!"
"shouright wrote:
My point is only that you shouldn't hear me saying the team will blow out the Jets because of Dolphins' general ability, because I'm not. I don't think this has become a team that stands a good chance of blowing teams out because the team has become that good. What I think is that the stars are aligning in such a way as to produce a blowout this week IMO, regardless of the team's general ability.
In other words, it's not like I'm putting forth some unsophisticated (and IMO inaccurate) sentiment like, "Wow, we're 3-3 and so much better than anyone thought! Now this team can blow people away!"
So, what changed since your prior "requirement" that the Jets needed to beat the Pats to "have the stars align for us"??? LOL....always nice to play both sides of the fence I guess. Which thread will you point to with the "I told you so" following sunday. Too Funny shrink....too funny!
http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?72766-Who-are-you-rooting-for-in-the-Patriots-Jets-game
The Jets, because I don't think we have as good a chance of beating them next week if they're coming off a loss.
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
"Da 'Fins wrote:
No offense intended here and I'll be glad to eat crow on this. I'd love to see a blowout. But, it just kills me how excited fans can get when a team gets a few wins. There is a long way to go before this team shows real reliability. Even in another 6 games we may not know much more (if they go 3-3 over that stretch they will be 6-6. And, they could win 4 in a row and get in the playoffs on a run; or they could then lose 4 in a row and be sitting on a #12-15 draft pick).
I think we have gotten ahead of ourselves with respect to the potential for this team. It is there but so is the potential to play mediocre or poorly and get blown out. I absolutely think they can win on Sunday but I would favor the Jets slightly b/c of the home game (even though I despise them more than any team - esp. Sanchez, who has been overrated since he stepped into the league). And b/c Miami's running game has yet to demonstrate it is where it needs to be. Certainly there is a lot of hope. But there is also still a talent dearth at certain positions.
I agree with you here. Every game the Dolphins have played this year they could have lost/won. Its nice to feel good about our team for a change but we have to realize what we are right now. We are team that is up and coming but not quite there yet. I don't think we blow out the jets this week. It will be another close game like every other game this year besides the Texans game. I fully expect Tannehill to make a couple of mistakes in this game. A rookie has to be a rookie at some point.
"BigDogsHunt wrote:
So, what changed since your prior "requirement" that the Jets needed to beat the Pats to "have the stars align for us"??? LOL....always nice to play both sides of the fence I guess. Which thread will you point to with the "I told you so" following sunday. Too Funny shrink....too funny!
In docs defense there is more to it then your presenting..

"djphinfan wrote:
In docs defense there is more to it then your presenting..
What's the bubble vs. bubble meter tell you?:lol:
I am not presenting, just reading various statements in support and contradictory, but carry on.
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
"BigDogsHunt wrote:
What changed since you said the Jets needed to beat the Pats for us to beat the Jets?
The following, some of which I researched, and some of which happened since then and could not have been anticipated:
The Dolphins are coming off a bye week at 3-3. Away teams and teams with a .500 record or better historically have winning records after a bye week. We are both.
The Jets are coming into a bye week as a home favorite following a loss. Home favorites coming into the bye week off a loss historically win only 39% of their games.
Joe Philbin has recently remarked that the team leadership among the players has begun to develop, which IMO is an integral part of getting a team over the hump from mediocre to good.
The Jets have said they plan to hurt Reggie Bush intentionally, which IMO stands to take the team unity generated by the emerging leadership Philbin mentioned and put it on steroids, as the team bands together to protect Bush and send the Jets a message that they will not be intimidated.
The Jets' threat toward Bush stands to arouse and motivate the part of the team that has lain dormant the past few weeks, the running game, which showed early in the season it can be dominant.
I'll take a one point win, just WIN.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez
"shouright wrote:
My point is only that you shouldn't hear me saying the team will blow out the Jets because of the Dolphins' general ability, because I'm not. I don't think this has become a team that stands a good chance of blowing teams out because the team has become that good. What I think is that the stars are aligning in such a way as to produce a blowout this week IMO, regardless of the team's general ability.
In other words, it's not like I'm putting forth some unsophisticated (and IMO inaccurate) sentiment like, "Wow, we're 3-3 and so much better than anyone thought! Now this team can blow people away!"
I am not much into how the stars are aligned when I look at the Jets and Dolphins playing a football game. I see this as two teams who don't like each other, playing in a must win game for both teams. I don't see the Dolphins or the Jets being able to score many points against each other. I see this as a defensive struggle, with the winning team scoring about 17 points and the loser scoring 14 points.
I will not be surprised, no matter which team wins. The only thing that would surprise me is if one of the teams blows out the other team. I certainly hope you are right about the Dolphins winning the game by a wide margin, I just don't see it happening.
I haven't read the whole thread, but IMO there are more factors that favor The Dolphins than the Jets. I think the Dolphins are the more talented, better team, but not by a wide margin. It's close enough that either team could win if based on that alone. And division games in general tend to be close, most likely based upon familiarity. But almost all the intangibles in this case seem to favor Miami. I don't think Ryan has done his team any favors by his comments this week. I see Miami as the more focused team generally (and improving) and I expect they will be even more highly focused this week. I also have faith that Philbin and the staff will do a good job of making adjustments coming off the bye. I'm talking about general fine tuning and Jet specific adjustments.

I also feel that a blowout victory is in the cards for reasons that I`m not even sure of. Its not purely based on hope alone but I think all the signs point to a Dolphin win by a huge margin. I`ve read this book and seen this movie a thousand times,if you get my drift. If the Jets got blown out by the Patriots last week this matchup would scare the hell out of me. Dont ask me to explain, It is what it is.
"djphinfan wrote:
If we blow them out, doc, I'm gonna bronze your ass.
Knowing you DJ, that would look about like this:

;)
"BlameItOnTheHenne wrote:
This guy is gonna have a big game
Pictured above: New York Jets starting QB Mark Sanchez prepares his anus for a Cameron Wake onslaught. Former New York Jets starting RT Wayne Hunter looks on helplessly.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"lmeister3 wrote:
Pictured above: New York Jets starting QB Mark Sanchez prepares his anus for a Cameron Wake onslaught. Former New York Jets starting RT Wayne Hunter looks on helplessly.
To prepare for such happenings, Sanchez tries to find a happy place.

"shouright wrote:
Knowing you DJ, that would look about like this:
;)
. Cam wakes

"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
I completely agree with the premise of this thread, Shou. I think the ability to outcoach, outquarterback, out defend and be a more disciplined team just makes us the clear favorite. Factoring in the hang over, our bye week, their coming bye week, it truly is a perfect storm. I've kind of been saying this all week but I think we're going to become one of those teams (Belichick's Patriots, Reid's Eagles) that just doesn't lose coming out of a bye.
I'm with you, although I think the strongest part of the "storm" is actually the combination of the emerging player leadership Philbin mentioned and the threat against Bush.
The Jets made the mistake of taking a team whose player leadership is just starting to find itself and giving it a huge rallying cry. The energy and motivation generated by that will be very powerful IMO.
"RGF wrote:
I also feel that a blowout victory is in the cards for reasons that I`m not even sure of. Its not purely based on hope alone but I think all the signs point to a Dolphin win by a huge margin. I`ve read this book and seen this movie a thousand times,if you get my drift. If the Jets got blown out by the Patriots last week this matchup would scare the hell out of me. Dont ask me to explain, It is what it is.
It's an intuition you get from having watched many, many games between many teams in many situations. But if you take an analytical look at it and find the patterns underlying those games and teams, you can start to predict these things when you recognize the similarities between the past and present.
Of course you can still be wrong, and I may totally be tomorrow, but I do think there is a "science" of sorts behind handicapping games in this way. No science is 100% reliable, but it does afford you the ability to be right more often than wrong, instead of just throwing darts at random.
no blowouts for us....if we lead...there will always be something that ****s it up and the game all of a sudden becomes close and goes down the wire, i'm used to this by now, there is just no other way possible with this team atm
"Al13 wrote:
no blowouts for us....if we lead...there will always be something that ****s it up and the game all of a sudden becomes close and goes down the wire, i'm used to this by now, there is just no other way possible with this team atm
And that's entirely possible, but it doesn't take into account what's going on with the other team. I think there is a high probability that a big lead by us in the first half, which I think we'll have, will result in an implosion by the Jets.
So the typical comeback you'd see against us that you're talking about I think has a strong chance of being forestalled by the Jets' internal problems. I don't think they'll be able to muster the typical sort of resilience you'd see in the face of an early deficit at the NFL level.
On top of that, given the situational factors involved in this game, which I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think the Dolphins will have far more motivation than usual to pile onto an early lead and make it a statement game with a blowout from start to finish.
So you have one team for which it stands to be an implosion game, and another that's highly motivated IMO to make a strong statement with a blowout. The combination of those factors creates the recipe for the sort of game we don't usually see at the NFL level.

