Ronin's Post Falcons Thoughts

119 replies

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Aug 9, 2014, 02:37 AM

Just watched the opening drive. Impressive. The only two issues I had were...

1. Ryan Tannehill seemed to stare down Miller on his first pass. He had Sims wide open in the flat, and (I think) Gibson running a post in the slot vs. a flat footed LB that would of gone for huge yards. Other than that, looked good for the most part.

2. That read option screen pass to Gibson looked ugly. Timing wasn't quite right. But it still worked, went for 8 yards.

Going to be hard to sack Tannehill if he keeps ripping the ball out as quickly as he did tonight. Obviously just pre-season. Game 1 of PS at that. Still, offense looked competent. Sharp. Exciting stuff...

Aug 9, 2014, 03:05 AM

I haven't watched the fourth quarter yet but I will say this:

Jordie Tripp absolutely made his case for getting a chance to compete directly with Koa Misi for the middle linebacker job. He was EXACTLY what Kevin Coyle wants at the position. He recognized what the offense was doing, he communicated with other players, he was aggressive in the extreme, he disrupted plays and made stops. He doesn't have the passing game figured out yet. That's a given. But between Koa Misi's lead boots and Jordie Tripp's half a second slow on the reaction time, I think you might go with Tripp because as the season goes on and he gets more experience he will figure things out and react better. Misi will never get any faster or more fluid out in space trying to cover.

You could make the case that Koa Misi should move back to his old spot in the base defense and that Jordie Tripp should be the 1000 snap middle linebacker. Maybe the season doesn't start off this way but it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me if it ended that way.

Keep in mind I'm not the type to be singing players' praises for no reason talking about how they should start right away even as a rookie. Unlike most people I generally equate rookie starters with bad football.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

mrozmrozSupporter
Aug 9, 2014, 03:43 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

I haven't watched the fourth quarter yet but I will say this:

Jordie Tripp absolutely made his case for getting a chance to compete directly with Koa Misi for the middle linebacker job. He was EXACTLY what Kevin Coyle wants at the position. He recognized what the offense was doing, he communicated with other players, he was aggressive in the extreme, he disrupted plays and made stops. He doesn't have the passing game figured out yet. That's a given. But between Koa Misi's lead boots and Jordie Tripp's half a second slow on the reaction time, I think you might go with Tripp because as the season goes on and he gets more experience he will figure things out and react better. Misi will never get any faster or more fluid out in space trying to cover.

You could make the case that Koa Misi should move back to his old spot in the base defense and that Jordie Tripp should be the 1000 snap middle linebacker. Maybe the season doesn't start off this way but it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me if it ended that way.

Keep in mind I'm not the type to be singing players' praises for no reason talking about how they should start right away even as a rookie. Unlike most people I generally equate rookie starters with bad football.

It is only a matter of time before Koa Missing get hurt and Tripp gets his shot

RIP CHP Officer Kirk Griess ID#15810
EOW 8/10/18

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 9, 2014, 05:55 AM

Good news... our offensive line, quarterback play from Tannehill and play calling all seem to be improved from last year. Bad news... our starting linebackers are the same and lack consistency not to mention any play making ability. They are looking as the odds on favorite as the top excuse IF this team isn't successful this year when all is said and done. I wonder if guys like McCain and Tripp would look as good as they are if compared to a squad with better than average starting linebackers. What I mean by that is, here in preseason, we as fans tend to clamor to players that are new and shiny. If there's a weakness on a team, the 2nd/3rd guys up get looked at thru a different lens.

I'm also mildly concerned about our base pass rush packages. Wake isn't getting any younger. Dion Jordan and his PED suspension leaves me wondering about him. Vernon did have double digit sacks last year. His level of play this year could also be a huge key to the season.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Aug 9, 2014, 06:04 AM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

The receivers are going to be Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Matthews and Landry. I don't know how you cut any one of those guys. Gibson just continues to make plays and Matthews keeps getting better and better.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game yesterday, but I'm not surprised Gibson continues to make plays. To me, he was the best WR on the Dolphins before his injury last year.

I just don't understand why some individuals on here continue to view him as a player the Dolphins should cut. He actually is the exact type of WR this team needs for the offense they are running under Lazor. I'm sure the Patriots, Jets, and Bills would love for the Dolphins to cut Gibson, because I have no doubt everyone of those teams would try to sign him.

Instead of cutting him, I hope they sign him to a longer term contract.

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Aug 9, 2014, 07:03 AM

"Clark Kent wrote:

Just watched the opening drive. Impressive. The only two issues I had were...

1. Ryan Tannehill seemed to stare down Miller on his first pass. He had Sims wide open in the flat, and (I think) Gibson running a post in the slot vs. a flat footed LB that would of gone for huge yards. Other than that, looked good for the most part.

2. That read option screen pass to Gibson looked ugly. Timing wasn't quite right. But it still worked, went for 8 yards.

Going to be hard to sack Tannehill if he keeps ripping the ball out as quickly as he did tonight. Obviously just pre-season. Game 1 of PS at that. Still, offense looked competent. Sharp. Exciting stuff...

Ya that was his side-arm throw...kinda looked awkward.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 9, 2014, 07:19 AM

We were 8-8 with bad LB play and a bad offense.

I wonder what we'll be with bad LB play and a decent offense?

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Aug 9, 2014, 07:43 AM

I thought it was much of the same from what we saw last year, except an improved pass blocking performance.

This first drive was nice. It was nice to see that crossing pattern in the middle, as well as using our RB's as receivers. However, the run blocking wasn't great. If we can't run the ball with some efficiency, we won't even come close to opening up all the doors the offense an provide.

The run defense stunk. The starting LB's were very poor again.

I agree with someone who said our WRs are good. I'm really excited about them. And you're right, they may not be the best group we've ever had, but it's a solid group.

Terrence Fede looked pretty solid too.
Dion Jordan looked meh..

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Aug 9, 2014, 08:46 AM

I'll give it a couple more games before I comment about the run game blocking. Atlanta was most concerned about their run defense and that's why they went nuts on their DT's. So not surprising to see them focus on that in their first live game after all the resources they put towards it. I do expect it to not be so hot until this OL gels more.

LimboLimboForum Veteran
Aug 9, 2014, 09:30 AM

Run defense will likely be our biggest weakness...potentially by a wide margin. I worry about the run offense too. Hopefully we toughen up in the trenches over the next couple weeks.

My other take away from last night: We are going to look foolish for taking a right tackle over Brandin Cooks. That dude is the real deal. Damn.

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Aug 9, 2014, 09:33 AM

"Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Yeah "Fa-day" is the only way I've heard it pronounced through all the reports and interviews on The Phinsiders.

I too thought it was "Feed" at first and to be honest, I wish it was.

Either way, there's nothing like the pride of the Pioneer Football League...extreme sarcasm. Though, Jim Harbaugh did get his coaching start there.

@KevinMD4

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Aug 9, 2014, 10:01 AM

"mroz wrote:

It is only a matter of time before Koa Missing get hurt and Tripp gets his shot

Nah, we'd pat Jason Trusnik on the ass and send him out there.

- sent via Tapatalk -

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

Aug 9, 2014, 10:34 AM

I'm not sure how improved the pass protection was yet. The Atlanta defensive front was flat awful.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

GMJohnsonGMJohnsonNew Member
Aug 9, 2014, 10:50 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Now that we know where Bill Lazor is going with this offense, the big concern is perimeter blocking. This offense uses a lot of wide receiver screens. It's part of the math. It's not something that the play caller just calls once in a while. When they see a mathematical advantage, the offense goes screen.

That failed screen to Jarvis Landry could be what we see a lot of, if we try and get Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline blocking out in front of those screens. And even though Landry was purported to be a strong run blocker at LSU, I really didn't agree with that and I know DJ felt the same way. Gibson's not a strong blocker either. They're going to get some of their tight ends out on the wing to help in those situations but can they even count on those guys?

We don't have any great blockers at WR but Hartline is the only WR I see as a liability.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 9, 2014, 11:09 AM

I haven't seen but bits and pieces get, but I thought will Davis would be our MVP on d before the game, i saw this kid Hills#60 look pretty good to me, and Tripp flashed very well.

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 9, 2014, 11:42 AM

"CaribPhin wrote:

Sensually?

well, if it makes him play better, I'd recommend more than that.

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

Paul 13Paul 13Staff
Aug 9, 2014, 11:43 AM

"ckparrothead wrote:

I'm not sure how improved the pass protection was yet. The Atlanta defensive front was flat awful.

Biermann was disruptive as uuuuuge

Twitter @Silver_Hornet (follow me and I'll follow you, just let me know who you are on here!

Liverpool FC Discussion Thread

PhinGeneralPhinGeneralSupporter
Aug 9, 2014, 12:11 PM

It's only one pre-season game, but it's encouraging to see guys like Tripp, Fede and McCain carry on the strong play they've shown in OTA's and camp.

James looks pretty solid (at least in pass pro) and Landry has distinguished himself nicely so far.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they keep up the good work and we get some nice contributions from this draft class this season.

TooGoodForDezTooGoodForDezNew Member
Aug 9, 2014, 12:35 PM

I don't know what Hickey's doing but he should be looking for LBers on the market.

banned

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Aug 9, 2014, 12:53 PM

"TooGoodForDez wrote:

I don't know what Hickey's doing but he should be looking for LBers on the market.

talking about exaggerating after a game, its unreal how you are able to post this bull**** all the time, LB's on the market in august....lol

Phoenician FanPhoenician FanForum Veteran
Aug 9, 2014, 01:02 PM

Linebacker will have to wait until next year. I like Kyler Fackrell in the 2nd round.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015-nfl-draft/2014/5/26/5746230/2015-nfl-draft-utah-state-kyler-Fackrell-mel-kiper

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Aug 9, 2014, 01:04 PM

"Philbinfan wrote:

Linebacker will have to wait until next year. I like Kyler Fackrell in the 2nd round.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2015-nfl-draft/2014/5/26/5746230/2015-nfl-draft-utah-state-kyler-Fackrell-mel-kiper

If he goes 18th, we don't have a prayer...we'll be picking 25th.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

LimboLimboForum Veteran
Aug 9, 2014, 01:06 PM

"TooGoodForDez wrote:

I don't know what Hickey's doing but he should be looking for LBers on the market.

I don't know how realistic it is to really bolster those depth charts at this point, but yea LB and RB are really lacking. Adding Moreno and scouring the guys who get cut could help the backfield a little I guess, but LB I don't know. Trouble is that poor performances from those two positions were easily predictable...and lo and behold they just didn't look up to par last night.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 9, 2014, 01:13 PM

"ckparrothead wrote:

Not even through with the first half and all I can say is Terrence Fede...WOW.

Fede the Beast.

I can't wait to watch but this gets me excited.

TooGoodForDezTooGoodForDezNew Member
Aug 9, 2014, 01:19 PM

They made a mistake not grabbing Seastrunk, he was there in the 5th round. The line was never going to be a pile pushing line. I am disappointed zone blocking is more miss than hit. I watched some other games the past two days, and teams are rolling down the field with draw plays, one after the other, we can't do that. That's disappointing. Average of 2.5 ypc was terrible yesterday.

As far as LB, I don't know how much of that poor play is coaching. It seems they are not playing as front 7 but a part of the backfield, and not very good there either. You get a sense they are not in tune with what the front 4 are doing.

banned