the top 15 worst draft picks

42 replies

AquafinAquafinNew MemberOP
Feb 25, 2014, 03:26 PM

I am currently receiving media guides from 78 to 2006 and instead fussing and feuding over the state of the team I was interested in how the drafts have changed . For instance we used to carry 5 tightends, 2 fullbacks and 3 rbs and some years we had 7 tightends . I am assuming that the salary cap and roster changes forced us to carry more wrs and less olinemen some years but the weird thing is Miami had more talent back in the 80's and early 90's compared to less depth and overall talent today.

we used to se 12 rd drafts and they shortened the draft to 8 rounds. Personally I feel that if the games are going to be increased then the practice squads should be eliminated and the roster should be set at 62 or 63 that way we don't have to wheel and deal and lose prospected players to other teams.

if it was me I wished they have a 10 rd draft and cut all the hogwash of in between selection time to 5 minutes .

with all that aside my research so far has the 2011 , 2012 drafts as being the worst followed by the 96 draft and 01 but the 01 was the result of the Ricky trade .

here is my nominations for the top ten worst draft picks.

#1 John Jerry .

#2 WR Derek Hagan

#3 olinemen Taylor Whittley

#4 lb Eddie Moore

#5 Derrick Pope

#6 Matt Roth

#7 Manny Wright d5 supplemental draft

#8 Jamar Fletcher

#9 Billy Milner

#10 Jason Allen

#11 Joe Toledo d4 114

#12 John Avery

#13 Tony Bua

#14 Cecil Collins

#15 Ben Kelly ?

please note that I am not going by just first rd bust I am doing it randomly .

sports24/7sports24/7Supporter
Feb 25, 2014, 03:34 PM

I don't think Cecil Collins should be there. He was a 5th round pick. That's precisely where you should take a flyer on guys with talent but question marks. I still maintain that had he not gotten injured, he would have learned how to conduct himself and had a great career.

I would move Fletcher and Moore higher up on that list when you consider they passed on Drew Brees and Anquan Boldin for those two.

Follow me on twitter. Or don't @Adam_Vaccaro

ZAZach13Forum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 03:36 PM

John Bosa and Eric Kumerow

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Feb 25, 2014, 03:44 PM

But, but... but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBOBm6-0Ao

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

Feb 25, 2014, 04:20 PM

ted ginn, pat white, john beck...they gotta be up there.

PHINS WOLVERINES ROCKETS


DON'T MESS WITH US!

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Feb 25, 2014, 04:39 PM

Worst how? Production vs where they were selected, who they were selected in lieu of, or just their general ineptitude on the football field?

Depending on the reasoning I'd disagree with many.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

Ronnie BassRonnie BassLuxury Box
Feb 25, 2014, 04:42 PM

It starts and ends with Jackie Shipp

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 04:44 PM

"Aquafin wrote:

I am currently receiving media guides from 78 to 2006 and instead fussing and feuding over the state of the team I was interested in how the drafts have changed . For instance we used to carry 5 tightends, 2 fullbacks and 3 rbs and some years we had 7 tightends . I am assuming that the salary cap and roster changes forced us to carry more wrs and less olinemen some years but the weird thing is Miami had more talent back in the 80's and early 90's compared to less depth and overall talent today.

we used to se 12 rd drafts and they shortened the draft to 8 rounds. Personally I feel that if the games are going to be increased then the practice squads should be eliminated and the roster should be set at 62 or 63 that way we don't have to wheel and deal and lose prospected players to other teams.

if it was me I wished they have a 10 rd draft and cut all the hogwash of in between selection time to 5 minutes .

with all that aside my research so far has the 2011 , 2012 drafts as being the worst followed by the 96 draft and 01 but the 01 was the result of the Ricky trade .

here is my nominations for the top ten worst draft picks.

#1 John Jerry .

#2 WR Derek Hagan

#3 olinemen Taylor Whittley

#4 lb Eddie Moore

#5 Derrick Pope

#6 Matt Roth

#7 Manny Wright d5 supplemental draft

#8 Jamar Fletcher

#9 Billy Milner

#10 Jason Allen

#11 Joe Toledo d4 114

#12 John Avery

#13 Tony Bua

#14 Cecil Collins

#15 Ben Kelly ?

please note that I am not going by just first rd bust I am doing it randomly .

Not sure how you have a current starter as #1 but folks who never even took the field (like Pat White) could miss the list. Then you have picks like Ted Ginn Jr. who we gave up on too early...but that makes them bad picks as well because they didn't do anything for us (besides almost single-handedly beating the Jets that one season with 2 TDs off punts/kickoffs). Then there are those Chad Henne types, that played decent football but washed out because of the system.

I would think that we've had 15 players who were drafted and never took the field though, so I'm not too confident in your list.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

GreysonWinfieldGreysonWinfieldNew Member
Feb 25, 2014, 05:10 PM

I still have my Hagan jersey.

One game at a time: Your 2016 Miami Dolphins.
A team without leadership, players without heart: Your 2015 Miami Dolphins.
Carrying on a decade plus of underachieving and mediocrity: Your 2014 Miami Dolphins.
Pissing on your dreams and tearing your heart out: Your 2013 Miami Dolphins.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 05:29 PM

"lmeister3 wrote:

But, but... but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBOBm6-0Ao

Wasnt he pissing blood after that for awhile?!!? (the rams player)

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 05:31 PM

"GreysonWinfield wrote:

I still have my Hagan jersey.

You're probably the only owner of a Hagan jersey besides friends or relatives of Hagan..

Killer BeesKiller BeesForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 05:33 PM

"lmeister3 wrote:

But, but... but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBBOBm6-0Ao

Think about how quickly a flag would be thrown if that happened now, sad.

PhinishLinePhinishLineSupporter
Feb 25, 2014, 05:43 PM

Yatil Green

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Dolphins Football. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

LBLBsFinestNew Member
Feb 25, 2014, 05:44 PM

Pat White, Daniel Thomas, Merling, Pat Turner

Dolfan330Dolfan330New Member
Feb 25, 2014, 05:44 PM

"GreysonWinfield wrote:

I still have my Hagan jersey.

Thats just sad. Good old stone hands Hagan.

Release the Kraken!

unifiedtheoryunifiedtheoryLuxury Box
Feb 25, 2014, 06:53 PM

"Zach13 wrote:

John Bosa and Eric Kumerow

Bosa was a good ****ing player. Injuries sabotaged his career.

Kumerow? Yah, he was total horse ****.

I'm on Twitter @ut_pez

Rhody Phins FanRhody Phins FanForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 09:04 PM

"Killer Bees wrote:

Think about how quickly a flag would be thrown if that happened now, sad.

I don't really have a problem with that. He completely blindsided the guy high. Yeah it looks awesome and I remember being pumped when it happened, but it wasn't really necessary. I certainly wouldn't want anyone on Miami taking hits like that. That's how you lose guys for games.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 09:09 PM

Okay, I made my own list and its for the past decade only. It's not in any particular order, just the worst 10 I see overall-

1) Pat White (2009, 2nd round)- Never played a single down and was cut a year later.
2) Chris McCoy (2010, 7th round)- Didn't make it through training camp.
3) John Nalbone (2009, 5th round)- Saw the field 2 games in 2 years on the team. Went to Seattle, cut after 1 season there.
4) Shawn Murphy (2008, 4th round)- Sat the bench and cut that year. Tampa grabbed him, played him in 1 game, then said goodbye.
5) John Beck (2007, 2nd round)- He played in 3 games, tossed 1 TD/3 INT, and was cut. Washington tried him out in 2011, but he was cut there too.
6) Drew Mormino/Abraham Wright (2007, 6th and 7th round)- Neither one made the team, so it's a toss-up on which was worse.
7) J. D. Folsom (2009, 7th round)- played in 2 games that season, then cut.
8) BJ Ciunningham (2012, 6th round)- In two seasons, he's seen the field once in a very limited role.
9) Tony Pape (2004, 7th round)- Failed to make the team.
10) Kelvin Smith (2007, 7th round)- Hung around for 2 years, but only played limited roles in 4 games. Played 3 games in Carolina in '09, but they cut him too.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Feb 25, 2014, 09:19 PM

"Aquafin wrote:

I am currently receiving media guides from 78 to 2006 and instead fussing and feuding over the state of the team I was interested in how the drafts have changed . For instance we used to carry 5 tightends, 2 fullbacks and 3 rbs and some years we had 7 tightends . I am assuming that the salary cap and roster changes forced us to carry more wrs and less olinemen some years but the weird thing is Miami had more talent back in the 80's and early 90's compared to less depth and overall talent today.

we used to se 12 rd drafts and they shortened the draft to 8 rounds. Personally I feel that if the games are going to be increased then the practice squads should be eliminated and the roster should be set at 62 or 63 that way we don't have to wheel and deal and lose prospected players to other teams.

if it was me I wished they have a 10 rd draft and cut all the hogwash of in between selection time to 5 minutes .

with all that aside my research so far has the 2011 , 2012 drafts as being the worst followed by the 96 draft and 01 but the 01 was the result of the Ricky trade .

here is my nominations for the top ten worst draft picks.

#1 John Jerry .

#2 WR Derek Hagan

#3 olinemen Taylor Whittley

#4 lb Eddie Moore

#5 Derrick Pope

#6 Matt Roth

#7 Manny Wright d5 supplemental draft

#8 Jamar Fletcher

#9 Billy Milner

#10 Jason Allen

#11 Joe Toledo d4 114

#12 John Avery

#13 Tony Bua

#14 Cecil Collins

#15 Ben Kelly ?

please note that I am not going by just first rd bust I am doing it randomly .

you must not be that old. these selections show an age bias. Kumerow and Bosa were worse than most of the people on this list. I'd add Yatil Green.

testing

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Feb 25, 2014, 09:37 PM

What about Sammie Smith?
The first of two Smiths taken in that draft and by far the worse of the two.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Feb 25, 2014, 10:01 PM

"Aquafin wrote:

I am currently receiving media guides from 78 to 2006 and instead fussing and feuding over the state of the team I was interested in how the drafts have changed . For instance we used to carry 5 tightends, 2 fullbacks and 3 rbs and some years we had 7 tightends . I am assuming that the salary cap and roster changes forced us to carry more wrs and less olinemen some years but the weird thing is Miami had more talent back in the 80's and early 90's compared to less depth and overall talent today.

we used to se 12 rd drafts and they shortened the draft to 8 rounds. Personally I feel that if the games are going to be increased then the practice squads should be eliminated and the roster should be set at 62 or 63 that way we don't have to wheel and deal and lose prospected players to other teams.

if it was me I wished they have a 10 rd draft and cut all the hogwash of in between selection time to 5 minutes .

with all that aside my research so far has the 2011 , 2012 drafts as being the worst followed by the 96 draft and 01 but the 01 was the result of the Ricky trade .

here is my nominations for the top ten worst draft picks.

#1 John Jerry .

#2 WR Derek Hagan

#3 olinemen Taylor Whittley

#4 lb Eddie Moore

#5 Derrick Pope

#6 Matt Roth

#7 Manny Wright d5 supplemental draft

#8 Jamar Fletcher

#9 Billy Milner

#10 Jason Allen

#11 Joe Toledo d4 114

#12 John Avery

#13 Tony Bua

#14 Cecil Collins

#15 Ben Kelly ?

please note that I am not going by just first rd bust I am doing it randomly .

Wait, what? Are we trying for the Top 15 worst list of worst draft picks? :) (Sorry couldn't resist that, but really …)

Eric Kumerow is #1 worst pick (or at worst top 3 worst), how could he be left off the list of 15?

Billy Milliner is likely #2. Jerry is not great but he's been FAR better than Milliner! He can't even be in the top 15 worst because he's a 3rd round pick! You really have to at least make a Semblance of an effort to have SOME historical perspective and not skew it to your own experience.

Sammie Smith is probably #3 on the all-time worst list. The 9th pick in the draft, starts 6 games or so, fumbles away several games and averages only 3.5 yds a carry in 3 seasons. Did I say he was the #9 pick in the draft? Unreal how bad that is. Especially painful when you realize that one year later, Dallas drafted Emmit Smith at #17. That is such a knife to the heart! Can you imagine? Emmit Smith? And, it was likely the fact that we drafted Smith at #9 in 1989 that we weren't taking Emmit Smith the next year (at #9 we took Richmond Webb. A great pick, but Emmit Smith …).

When you move to the 3rd round, it's a crap shoot. All first rounders that don't pan out have to be worst picks than a 3rd round pick. You have to expect some 3rd rounders to fail. If a 1st rounder fails you are killing your franchise.

Randal Hill was a 1st rounder and never did a thing. He's got to be in there over Hagan and several others. Hill has to be on the list.

Also, Jackie Shipp has to be on the list. He and Brophy were the two worst ILBs in the NFL their entire careers. It was a horrific defense and a horrific run D - thanks to them.

And, Jason Allen never did a thing in the league. Jamar Fletcher actually had a decent career and started for San Diego.

And, one doesn't just have to go by the first round - Eddie Moore is a pretty bad pick and probably among the top 15 worst.

But, you also don't need to have the media guides. Just go to NFL.Com's draft site and you can see every Dolphin draft in history:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=2700&type=team

Much simpler than paging through media guides, bro. :)

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Feb 25, 2014, 10:03 PM

Zach Thomas.

Totally undersized.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

NolePhin15NolePhin15New Member
Feb 26, 2014, 03:19 AM

John Jerry >>>>>> Pat White, Pat Turner, Jonathan Martin

PerfectTeamPerfectTeamForum Veteran
Feb 26, 2014, 04:32 AM

Shawn Draper, Larry Shannon, Tim Provost, Davern Williams, Kirk Pointer, Hudhaifa Ismaeli....all guys much worse than the initial list. Roth was a pro bowl player at one point for gods sake.

ZAZach13Forum Veteran
Feb 26, 2014, 08:53 AM

"unifiedtheory wrote:

Bosa was a good ****ing player. Injuries sabotaged his career.

Kumerow? Yah, he was total horse ****.

It all depends on how you want to define bust. If it is lack of production for the pick then Bosa clearly belongs, if it is lack of ability then he doesn't.