Van Halen Fans: Roth or Hagar

18 replies

FinSaneFinSaneForum VeteranOP
Jul 15, 2008, 12:00 AM

Ok, its the age old debate amongst rock fans. Which era of Van Halen do you prefer? The party-hearty years of David Lee Roth, or the love-sappy but still rockin' Hagar era? Or do you simply love VH when theyre not led by Gary Sherone?

If you didnt know already:

David Lee Roth Era: Van Halen, Van Halen II, Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down, 1984

Sammy Hagar Era: 5150, 0U812, For All Lawful Carnal Knowledge, Balance

unluckylucianounluckylucianoNew Member
Jul 15, 2008, 12:02 AM

who the hell is van halen?

thanks to VO for the sick ass sigs.


Charlie: If you're not as educated or as informed what you do is you start your own party and you yell the loudest.

Colorado DolfanColorado DolfanNew Member
Jul 15, 2008, 12:05 AM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

who the hell is van halen?

:ban:

Get dirty, get bloody, get sweaty...

...get happy.

-Cam Wake

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 12:05 AM

"unluckyluciano wrote:

who the hell is van halen?

Here's a shovel. Bury yourself.

DevilFin13DevilFin13Supporter
Jul 15, 2008, 12:25 AM

I voted Roth. But that's not really a slight against Sammy. Sammy is the better singer and put on a very good show the several times I've seen him. But Dave is just a better frontman. And for whatever reason, Eddie's tone (both his guitar and just in the general feel of his songs) were heavier with Dave. That, along with the different attitude Dave brought to the band is why I prefer him.

Their reunion tour was great. I had never seen Ed, Alex, and Dave on stage together before and it was a treat. It was so cool to see the man most influential in me picking up an instrument play live.

DevilFin13DevilFin13Supporter
Jul 15, 2008, 12:26 AM
"unluckyluciano wrote:

who the hell is van halen?


I'm sure you're kidding. But here is who VH is for those who don't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzTFFuEOJj4

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 15, 2008, 12:39 AM

D. Roth now THAT was Van Halen, 1984 is one of the best albums of the 80's.

Can't say that about Hagar's work with the band.

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 12:52 AM

"padre31 wrote:

D. Roth now THAT was Van Halen, 1984 is one of the best albums of the 80's.

Can't say that about Hagar's work with the band.

Come on now, Hagar had plenty of good songs with VH. Good Enough, 5150, Inside, Black and Blue, Cabo Wabo, Poundcake, Top of the World, and one of my favorites, Runaround. Nonetheless, I voted both.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 15, 2008, 01:01 AM

"FinSane wrote:

Come on now, Hagar had plenty of good songs with VH. Good Enough, 5150, Inside, Black and Blue, Cabo Wabo, Poundcake, Top of the World, and one of my favorites, Runaround. Nonetheless, I voted both.

Not the same band Finsane, were was a Hagar/Van Halen version of Eruption? Hot For Teacher? VH was alot more fun with Roth, with Hagar...not so much..

I did like "Don't tell me what love can do" and "Humans Being"..but even Diver Down was a bit more Rockish...:wink2:

Dolphin1184Dolphin1184New Member
Jul 15, 2008, 01:07 AM

"FinSane wrote:

Here's a shovel. Bury yourself.

Here you go Finsane

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 01:08 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Not the same band Finsane, were was a Hagar/Van Halen version of Eruption? Hot For Teacher? VH was alot more fun with Roth, with Hagar...not so much..

I did like "Don't tell me what love can do" and "Humans Being"..but even Diver Down was a bit more Rockish...:wink2:

There was "Get Up" from 5150. Good rocker.

DolfanColeDolfanColeNew Member
Jul 15, 2008, 02:55 PM

"DevilFin13 wrote:

I voted Roth. But that's not really a slight against Sammy. Sammy is the better singer and put on a very good show the several times I've seen him. But Dave is just a better frontman. And for whatever reason, Eddie's tone (both his guitar and just in the general feel of his songs) were heavier with Dave. That, along with the different attitude Dave brought to the band is why I prefer him.

Their reunion tour was great. I had never seen Ed, Alex, and Dave on stage together before and it was a treat. It was so cool to see the man most influential in me picking up an instrument play live.

I totally agree with your assessment, but I chose Sammy as I put more weight into the vocals versus stage performance when voting.

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jul 15, 2008, 03:00 PM

Diamond Dave FTW!

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Jul 15, 2008, 03:12 PM

LOL at this poll. My friend Mike is a standup comedian who has a bit about Roth/Hagar. He is an AVID Hagar hater.

Personally I was never a huge Van Hagar fan always prefered Van Halen. But to each his own.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

FiresoleFiresoleNew Member
Jul 15, 2008, 03:25 PM

I voted Sammy. Just cuz a guy can do crazy round house kicks with a sword in his hand does not make him a great front man.

In all seriousness I should have chosen "both", but I enjoy the songs of the Hagar led Van Halen to those of Diamond Dave. 1984 is probably my favorite album from the band, but I really like alot of the songs that Sammy sung. Dreams, Best of Both Worlds, Poundcake, Right Now just to name a few.

PaganPaganForum Veteran
Jul 15, 2008, 03:32 PM

They aren't Van Halen without Roth.

Van Halen was just as much about attitude as they were about music.

Anyone who was a teenager in the late 70's/early 80's can tell you where he was when he first heard different VH songs. They were the soundtrack of the summers back then.

Can't say that about Van Hagar. They lost all their balls with Hagar. Became safe, "corporate" rock.

I voted Sammy. Just cuz a guy can do crazy round house kicks with a sword in his hand does not make him a great front man.
You're right. Being a front man is all about personality, and handling the crowd to get them more into the show. Being a character, whipping the audience into a frenzy.

Hagar couldn't do that if someone gave him a "Frontmen for Dummies" book....which would probably be written by Diamond Dave. :wink2:

".. hell you even have a fireman who rubs his balls on another mans head for three hours a week.. show some class, don't make fun of us poor Dolphins fans. :shifty:" ~ cnc66

"There is no sweeter nectar, than the misery riddled tears of Jets fans." ~ Finascious D

azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Jul 15, 2008, 03:49 PM

Roth without a doubt

I liked Hagar being the Red-Rocker..but always thought he was a moderate talent.

Roth very much made Van Halen what they were. An overnight sensation, and easily one of my all-time favorite bands

Also, I have been to Hagar's Cabo-Wabo bar in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.. Waaaayyyy over-rated as his the Tequila that bears its name...

Jul 15, 2008, 05:36 PM

I can't believe Hagar actually got 2 votes.

PrepDoggPrepDoggNew Member
Jul 15, 2008, 06:18 PM

Roth obviously....Hagar is much better on his own