Week 6 Opponent: Chicago Bears

35 replies

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968SupporterOP
Oct 12, 2014, 11:43 PM

Tough home loss...hard to swallow...nevertheless, next up is 'da Bears.

This is another "no worries" game for me personally, like the Pats/Raiders games, I had absolutely no concerns about losing going into those games...I say we win the next 2 at minimum.

Cutler's good, but prone to poor decisions and mistakes...can we capitalize on pressure? I think we match up well on both sides of the ball in this game.

Their top 4 targets are all tough...but I think the pressure will minimize their impact. I think Forte will only get about 50 yards rushing.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Mods please change title to "Week 7 Opponent: Chicago Bears"

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Oct 12, 2014, 11:54 PM

I disagree. As well as I thought we matched up against Green Bay, I think we're equally as poorly matched up with Chicago.

I think their defense is much better than people give them credit for. It's not good by any stretch but they're at least causing TOs. Fuller is awesome and probably the clubhouse leader for DROY. Hopefully Briggs and DJ Williams are back because the 3 young LBs they played today looked incredibly fast against ATL. They were physical too.

Where we can have success against Chicago? Running the ball and attacking their safeties in coverage with backs and tight ends...guys like Miller, Clay, and Landry could all have nice games.

We have to get pressure on Cutler. And we have to get pressure on him early. Get him rattled. If not, we stand littlen chance IMO. They're massive at the recieved position. And with Slausen, Garza, and potentially Bushrod back, it bodes well for their run game.

Forte is dangerous as a reciever. Has more 100 games than Wallace this year...1...but still.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Oct 12, 2014, 11:55 PM

It drives me crazy when people want to talk about next week on game day.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

Oct 12, 2014, 11:57 PM

Thoughts:

1. Tough matchup with their twin tower receivers Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. For starters, Marshall is an emotional player and this is the first time he gets to play his old team the Dolphins. He will be up for this game. Secondly, one weakness we have seen in Brent Grimes is he can be beaten by unusually big receivers. Those two qualify. Finnegan is even weaker toward size.

2. Matt Forte matches up well against Miami in the passing game, and Miami may still have a weakness there.

3. The thing Miami does on defense that has been effective against guys like Tom Brady, Derek Carr and yes even to some extent Aaron Rodgers? Might not work as well on THIS quarterback. That is pressure. Jay Cutler seems to weirdly thrive on pressure, to get amped up as he's hit more. He's literally got a 110 passer rating on plays under pressure which is something I've never seen before. While that is likely a temporary blip, he's still always seemed to handle pressure in stride.

4. All that said, there may be something about Bill Lazor's offense that just stumps the Bears defense, like what happened against the Patriots and Raiders. So that would have to be our hope.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

gunn34gunn34New Member
Oct 13, 2014, 08:14 AM

I expect another loss by our coaching staff. I think Brandon Marshall comes out looking to score at least 3 TDs.

rdhstlr23rdhstlr23Supporter
Oct 13, 2014, 08:34 AM

I'll be watching at Soldier Field. I just kept telling myself I'd be OK losing as long as we were walking away 3-3, but it looks like that won't be the case.

Ohio FanaticOhio FanaticSupporter
Oct 13, 2014, 08:36 AM

I'm pretty sure we lose this one, and unlike the Green Bay game, I don't think it will be as close.

testing

vt_dolfanvt_dolfanSupporter
Oct 13, 2014, 09:01 AM

Its gonna be tough to win.

Our CBs play 7 yards off ..... they have huge recievers.....Matt Forte is a complete weapon. We can run the ball on them....and Cutler is prone to being a bone head. But ...zero faith we should win.

Which means they will go to Chicago and win by 14. There by getting us all excited. Then we win against Jacksonville....before crapping the bed again against San Diego....and we wish wash all they way to a 9-7 season missing the playoffs.....

"The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning"
Pele

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum Veteran
Oct 13, 2014, 03:55 PM

Probably will miss most of this game...and I'm not even mad. :sad:

I wouldn't be surprised if they won...only to then blow any goodwill yet again by letting the Jaguars get their first win to copy that Beat the Bengals/lose to winless Bucs thing from 2013.

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Oct 13, 2014, 04:10 PM

It's a game where all signs point to a loss, there's only one thing that will get us up to playing at a high level, if Tannehill makes plays on his own

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Oct 13, 2014, 05:55 PM

The biggest thing that makes me not worry about this game, is that Cutler isn't afraid to throw it out there and let his receivers go get it, and he has a tendency to under-throw it...we have guys who have shown in the past they can take advantage of this if the ball isn't placed perfectly. He's going to have to be VERY sharp to make a livin' off that stuff. I say we get at least 3 picks enroute to a blowout.

Edit: His big throw to Jeffery this last game was well underthrown, with busted coverage, else that would have been an easy pick. It was the same type of underthrow that has resulted in several picks for RT.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Kud_IIKud_IIForum Veteran
Oct 13, 2014, 06:32 PM

Alshon Jeffery is going to molest Finnegan Begin-Again just a heads up.

Formerly known as IdrA,
formerly known as Kud.

Piston HondaPiston HondaForum Veteran
Oct 13, 2014, 10:38 PM

Yeah might as well forfeit the game, forfeit the season too lol.

Ever hear the term, never get too down after a loss?

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Oct 13, 2014, 11:06 PM

Meh...not worried. The best thing the Bears offense does, with any consistency, is run blocking...I like our match-up there.

Their defense is average at best, decent against the run, bad against the pass...both areas we match-up well at. And their STs are even worse than ours.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 13, 2014, 11:32 PM

"PhinFan1968 wrote:

Meh...not worried. The best thing the Bears offense does, with any consistency, is run blocking...I like our match-up there.

Their defense is average at best, decent against the run, bad against the pass...both areas we match-up well at. And their STs are even worse than ours.

I don't see how we match up well, at all. Their bad against the pass, our pass offense sucks. What is a good match up?

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Oct 14, 2014, 12:41 AM

Doubt they will blow us out. This should be a decent game. Tannehill has to play mistake free football. Our D has to make plays. Its as simple as that.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Oct 14, 2014, 04:33 AM

Tannehill found another level of slowing the game down in the 2nd half, he did some things that were not the norm for him, that 2nd half bought him next week.

JajJajNew Member
Oct 14, 2014, 06:03 AM

The Dolphins play well when the expectations against them are low and when they play as a big underdog. Expect Miami to run the ball well and stop the run well. Cutler will make his mistakes and Miami may surprise. That's the nature of this team.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

magicapmagicapNew Member
Oct 14, 2014, 07:18 AM

I will be up around Chicago for a wedding this weekend so needless to say I will be attending the game. God I hope their 2 stud Wrs don't make fools out of our midget corners.

I'm so Dolphins that my sons first and middle name is Zach Thomas.

SHShamboubouNew Member
Oct 14, 2014, 07:55 AM

We don't have anybody to bring down their receivers. Grimes trying to tackle Marshall is going to be comical.

I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones.

-Herb Brooks-

NAnavagatorNew Member
Oct 14, 2014, 10:28 AM

"magicap wrote:

I will be up around Chicago for a wedding this weekend so needless to say I will be attending the game. God I hope their 2 stud Wrs don't make fools out of our midget corners.

I am also flying in for the game. Two questions for the board.

1. If anyone has a beat on 1-3 tickets for the game, let me know. Tickets on Stubhub are outrageous.

2. Anyone have any idea what the pre-game/tailgate scene is like for visiting fans? We wont have a car, so we are contemplating just going down to the stadium with sandwiches and beers. Are there any good bars near Soldier field?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 14, 2014, 10:52 AM

Looks like the opening line is Chicago -3.0 (-125).

It suggests to me that their power ratings don't necessarily indicate a particularly disadvantageous personnel matchup for Miami, nor do they indicate an advantageous one. But the line is going to move at least to -3.5, IMO.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Oct 14, 2014, 10:55 AM

One place we have a great matchup is Wake against Jordan Mills, one of the worst pass blocking RTs in the league.

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

Oct 14, 2014, 11:09 AM

It would not surprise me if the power ratings and analytics suggest that the Bears have a very broad-based personnel advantage against Miami, but that Cameron Wake versus Jordan Mills alone mitigates it.

Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com

PandarillaPandarillaForum Veteran
Oct 14, 2014, 07:37 PM

I'm not as upset over the recent loss. The team is talented enough to hang with anyone. There simply isn't the comfort or the familiarity with the passing game we need right now.

We'll probably win despite the low morale at the moment.