53 Man Roster - Any Surprise Cuts?

24 replies

GalantGalantForum VeteranOP
Jul 12, 2022, 09:46 AM

ESPN's released their projected 53 man Dolphins roster and Dolphins Today reacted with their surprise cuts per the ESPN guess.

Details below, but who do you think might be surprise cuts or trades for the Dolphins before the season starts?

------------------------------------------------------------

ESPN:

QUARTERBACK (2): Tua Tagovailoa, Teddy Bridgewater
PS - Skylar Thompson won't make the 53-man roster but is a virtual lock for the practice squad in this scenario.

RUNNING BACK (5): Raheem Mostert, Chase Edmonds, Myles Gaskin, Sony Michel, Alec Ingold

WIDE RECEIVER (7): Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, Cedrick Wilson, Erik Ezukanma, Trent Sherfield, Lynn Bowden Jr., Preston Williams

TIGHT END (3): Mike Gesicki, Durham Smythe, Hunter Long

OFFENSIVE LINE (9): Terron Armstead, Liam Eichenberg, Connor Williams, Austin Jackson, Robert Hunt, Michael Deiter, Larnel Coleman, Robert Jones, Solomon Kindley

DEFENSIVE LINE (6): Emmanuel Ogbah, Christian Wilkins, Raekwon Davis, Zach Sieler, Adam Butler, John Jenkins

LINEBACKER (8): Jerome Baker, Elandon Roberts, Jaelan Phillips, Melvin Ingram III, Andrew Van Ginkel, Channing Tindall, Duke Riley, Brennan Scarlett

CORNERBACK (6): Xavien Howard, Byron Jones, Nik Needham, Noah Igbinoghene, Keion Crossen, Trill Williams

SAFETY (4): Jevon Holland, Brandon Jones, Eric Rowe, Clayton Fejedelem

SPECIALISTS (3): Jason Sanders, Thomas Morstead, Blake Ferguson

------------------------------------------------------

Surprise Cuts per Dolphins Today:
[ATTACH:full]


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 12, 2022, 10:16 AM

The only name I'm worried about is Gisecki. He's coming off the franchise tag and still doesn't have a deal. Plus, we didn't utilize him at all last season. Could we be shopping him?

Also, I'm a big fan of Skylar Thompson! He's old for a rookie and has some maturity you usually don't see in a 1st year player. I'm worried he gets poached and placed on someone's active roster.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 12, 2022, 10:23 AM

"Galant wrote:

Just watched the video- he says Jackson and Eichenberg have zero combined experience at right tackle. This guy is a complete idiot- Eichenberg started almost half the season at right tackle last year. I stopped watching at that point on principle alone- don't make stuff up to appear smart Mr. YouTuber.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Jul 12, 2022, 11:16 AM

I could see Rowe going, or being resigned for less money.

Lord help us.

FIFishheadForum Veteran
Jul 12, 2022, 07:37 PM

Kinda hard to predict without camp or any preseason action. If Holland is accurate about his teammate, then I could see Fejedelem getting cut instead of McKinley

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Jul 13, 2022, 04:32 PM
OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Jul 13, 2022, 04:35 PM

Not one of these would surprise me. There will be some dog fights starting in a couple of weeks.

Puka-headPuka-headSupporter
Jul 13, 2022, 04:38 PM
"OwesOwn614 wrote:

And my wife will potentially blow me tonight. Potentially

firedanfiredanForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2022, 04:52 PM

"Puka-head wrote:

And my wife will potentially blow me tonight. Potentially

firedanfiredanForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2022, 04:54 PM

At least there is potential there.Some situations have no potential.

FIFishheadForum Veteran
Jul 13, 2022, 06:32 PM

"firedan wrote:

At least there is potential there.Some situations have no potential.

The Jets being the second best team in the division, for example.

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Jul 14, 2022, 11:54 AM
"OwesOwn614 wrote:

Does ANYONE take anything Mel Kiper says seriously? The man is as stupid as a football bat!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Jul 14, 2022, 01:37 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Does ANYONE take anything Mel Kiper says seriously? The man is as stupid as a football bat!

ESPN is like the National Enquirer these days. They're paid for ratings, so clicks and comments are positive, regardless of how vitriolic the responses are. Hot takes and attitudes are encouraged to stir up reactionary fan bases like ours.

Phil HutchingsPhil HutchingsForum Veteran
Jul 17, 2022, 12:31 PM

"OwesOwn614 wrote:

ESPN is like the National Enquirer these days. They're paid for ratings, so clicks and comments are positive, regardless of how vitriolic the responses are. Hot takes and attitudes are encouraged to stir up reactionary fan bases like ours.

We have a sports radio station here in the UK, talkSport, which is exactly the same.

it makes outrageous comments and tells downright lies, just to get reaction from listeners.

It's an awful station.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 17, 2022, 04:58 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Does ANYONE take anything Mel Kiper says seriously? The man is as stupid as a football bat!

You'd think the Jets would eventually have to get better just by the amount of time they've been horrible. Personally, I root for the Jets these days to win a few....their bottom-dwelling used to be glorious to me, but now it's just plain sad. The Fins/Jets weeks haven't felt right for about 5 years now- it's been two guaranteed wins for far too long.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Jul 17, 2022, 05:42 PM

Think Lynn Bowden might be one. His main trait is versatility, but you've essentially made it redundant. Hill and Waddle have both taken reps in the backfield. Hill, Waddle, Holland, Ezukanma have returned kicks/punts. There's quite a pecking order for reps in the slow; I'd tend to doubt Bowden's ability to be the X or Z. But you're going to still see Hill and Waddle in the slot. Wilson's been primarily a slot/seam threat. Gesicki will get reps there. On top of all this, you've got a big-bodied STs type WR in Trent Sherfield who already knows the offense in-house. If they keep 6 WRs, I can see Bowden challenging for a spot. If not...I think he might be a goner.

@KevinMD4

VManisVManisSupporter
Jul 18, 2022, 02:58 PM

"OwesOwn614 wrote:

Not one of these would surprise me. There will be some dog fights starting in a couple of weeks.

How does an undrafted FA like McKinley qualify as a surprise cut?

VManisVManisSupporter
Jul 18, 2022, 03:01 PM

"RoninFin4 wrote:

Think Lynn Bowden might be one. His main trait is versatility, but you've essentially made it redundant. Hill and Waddle have both taken reps in the backfield. Hill, Waddle, Holland, Ezukanma have returned kicks/punts. There's quite a pecking order for reps in the slow; I'd tend to doubt Bowden's ability to be the X or Z. But you're going to still see Hill and Waddle in the slot. Wilson's been primarily a slot/seam threat. Gesicki will get reps there. On top of all this, you've got a big-bodied STs type WR in Trent Sherfield who already knows the offense in-house. If they keep 6 WRs, I can see Bowden challenging for a spot. If not...I think he might be a goner.

You may be right. One thing he may have in his favor is that with all the time he has spent with Tua at Per4orm he may have a chemistry with him that the others you mentioned don't.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 18, 2022, 03:11 PM

"RoninFin4 wrote:

Think Lynn Bowden might be one. His main trait is versatility, but you've essentially made it redundant. Hill and Waddle have both taken reps in the backfield. Hill, Waddle, Holland, Ezukanma have returned kicks/punts. There's quite a pecking order for reps in the slow; I'd tend to doubt Bowden's ability to be the X or Z. But you're going to still see Hill and Waddle in the slot. Wilson's been primarily a slot/seam threat. Gesicki will get reps there. On top of all this, you've got a big-bodied STs type WR in Trent Sherfield who already knows the offense in-house. If they keep 6 WRs, I can see Bowden challenging for a spot. If not...I think he might be a goner.

I think Bowden is more of a surprise if he makes the 53 man roster

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Jul 18, 2022, 03:41 PM
OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Jul 18, 2022, 03:43 PM
ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Jul 18, 2022, 07:30 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

The only name I'm worried about is Gisecki. He's coming off the franchise tag and still doesn't have a deal. Plus, we didn't utilize him at all last season. Could we be shopping him?

Also, I'm a big fan of Skylar Thompson! He's old for a rookie and has some maturity you usually don't see in a 1st year player. I'm worried he gets poached and placed on someone's active roster.

Me too! He's a football player that plays quarterback. I really really like this young man and I hope he finds a way to stick on this roster. Excited to see what he does in preseason.

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Jul 18, 2022, 10:55 PM

"VManis wrote:

You may be right. One thing he may have in his favor is that with all the time he has spent with Tua at Per4orm he may have a chemistry with him that the others you mentioned don't.

Albert Wilson did the same last year. I don't think it means much in terms of actual football.

@KevinMD4

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jul 19, 2022, 12:15 PM

"RoninFin4 wrote:

Albert Wilson did the same last year. I don't think it means much in terms of actual football.

Very true- Wilson sounded like a stud WR1 in pre-season, only to produce little to no impact the entire season. Hopefully Bowden isn't in the same boat.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jul 19, 2022, 05:12 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

Very true- Wilson sounded like a stud WR1 in pre-season, only to produce little to no impact the entire season. Hopefully Bowden isn't in the same boat.

Wilson was a huge disappointment.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty