chris grier officially named gm
31 replies
wow. That was a fast exhaustive search. :sad:
fooball.
futbol.
hockey.
They were just looking for a Yes Man that TBaum can completely influence, but I've only heard good things about Grier anyway.
Copy and paste the Twitter link as a 'video' link and you get:
https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/684051736420610049
Additionally:
https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/684054838703869953
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
Sweet, looks like Tannenbaum has a plan in place. Can't wait to see how January and this coaching search unfolds.
"Vinny Fins wrote:wow. That was a fast exhaustive search. :sad:
I thought the exhaustive search was for the Head Coach, not the GM. Didn't see any mention of that by anyone for the GM.
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"Galant wrote:
Copy and paste the Twitter link as a 'video' link and you get:
Good tip. Didn't know about that.
"Rick 1966 wrote:
Doesn't matter, Tannenbaum is the real GM.
That fact should scare the heck out of Dolphin fans. I have zero confidence in Tannebaum as a GM. All you have to do is look at the mess he left in New York to understand he is way over his head in his present position with the Dolphins.
"DolPhinPhan7 wrote:
Does the GM spot require a Rooney Rule candidate too?
He is the Rooney rule candidate. He happens to be African/American, therefore there is no reason to interview anyone else if he is the person they hire for the position.
Well this should just go to show you that this whole process will be a PR scheme. No big name head Coach is coming in. Who wan'ts to have their hands tied with someone they don't work well with? I bet they bring back campbell for a 2 year deal and say lets get some players and see what happens. They still feel this team is on the cusp but they are wrong... We need 3 years of talent to get us over the hump... I DONT WANT TO have a learn on the JOB coach / GM we tried that for years and nothing worked...
Ugh. 2016 and they are still sticking with #strongertogether. I don't know how much longer I can support a team that shoves this cheesy bull**** in my face all day long.
Naming a GM seems counter to a truly "exhaustive" head coaching search where you consider any and all candidates, power structures, etc.
Meh...
****. You guys are bitter.
Congrats to Chris Grier. Hopefully he can do what others have not. I am rooting for him.
"thisperishedmin wrote:
Naming a GM seems counter to a truly "exhaustive" head coaching search where you consider any and all candidates, power structures, etc.
Meh...
Exactly. By putting Tannebaum in charge and him hiring a yes man as his GM, no quality head coach who wants real input into how this team is put together is going to want this job. Especially when there are going to be much better opportunities available for the high quality head coaching candidates with other teams.
They are setting it up for Philpin #2. When all is said and done, they will end up hiring someone that none of the other teams with a head coaching position available want to hire.
Tannebaum isn't a good GM and all Grier will be under Tannebaum is a GM in name only.
Once again Ross is showing that he doesn't have a clue when it comes to being an NFL owner. I predict in three years, Tannebaum will be fired, Grier will be gone and the soon to be names HC will be on his way out the door too.
Ross needed to start from scratch with a whole new front office and a new coaching staff. Instead he keeps Tannrbaum, moves a long time personnel guy up in the organization and now limits the number of head coaching candidates who will even be interested in the job.
My guess is they will be turned down by their first five choices and end up with their sixth choice. Who will only take the job because no one else is offering him the opportunity to be an NFL head coach.
"jw3102 wrote:
Exactly. By putting Tannebaum in charge and him hiring a yes man as his GM, no quality head coach who wants real input into how this team is put together is going to want this job. Especially when there are going to be much better opportunities available for the high quality head coaching candidates with other teams.
They are setting it up for Philpin #2. When all is said and done, they will end up hiring someone that none of the other teams with a head coaching position available want to hire.
Tannebaum isn't a good GM and all Grier will be under Tannebaum is a GM in name only.
Once again Ross is showing that he doesn't have a clue when it comes to being an NFL owner. I predict in three years, Tannebaum will be fired, Grier will be gone and the soon to be names HC will be on his way out the door too.
Ross needed to start from scratch with a whole new front office and a new coaching staff. Instead he keeps Tannrbaum, moves a long time personnel guy up in the organization and now limits the number of head coaching candidates who will even be interested in the job.
My guess is they will be turned down by their first five choices and end up with their sixth choice. Who will only take the job because no one else is offering him the opportunity to be an NFL head coach.
Every new Coaching staff should get a clean slate no need to already call it a failure
"Samphin wrote:
****. You guys are bitter.
Congrats to Chris Grier. Hopefully he can do what others have not. I am rooting for him.
I am not bitter. i have just grown tired of the same BS from this clueless owner. I am almost at the point of becoming apathetic in regards to the team I have followed and rooted for the last 50 years.
Once total apathy sets it, it won't matter what this clueless owner does, because by then, I won't care anymore.
Why do you guys want a head coach that has a GM responsibilities anyway? We did that for a long time here an it didn't work. Typically, you want your GM and upper management in place FIRST, and then hire the employees. This is the first time Miami has gotten this right in a LONG time.
Tannenbaum already stated that the new HC would have input with the roster. Grier's job will be to take his knowledge of the available talent (college and pros), and try to go and get the players that fit the team the best under the new coach. This isn't a bad thing. It is, in fact, a good thing.
The coach's job is to take the talent, and win football games with it. Clear, defined roles. Organization and structure. Something that has been missing from this franchise for a long time.
And Tannenbaum overseas the entire process. I would trust him over Stephen Ross who used to be in that role for a few year as well as owner.
"Alex13 wrote:
Every new Coaching staff should get a clean slate no need to already call it a failure
Every fanbase should get a clean slate from time to time too. Now is that time and I just wish Ross would sell the team so we can hopefully get an owner who knows how to hire competent people to run his football team.
I do not trust for one minute that Ross knows anything when it comes to hiring quality football people to build and run this team.
I appreciate you are willing to give the next coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. I just believe it all starts at the top and our top is clueless.
"Samphin wrote:
****. You guys are bitter.
Congrats to Chris Grier. Hopefully he can do what others have not. I am rooting for him.
what 15 years of **** doesn't make you question anything? LOL we have all lost faith.. Depending on the new coach I might as well start looking forward to 2018's next coaching search..
"Dorfdad wrote:
what 15 years of **** doesn't make you question anything? LOL we have all lost faith.. Depending on the new coach I might as well start looking forward to 2018's next coaching search..
The fanbase is slightly off the rails, in my opinion.
The Miami Dolphins have been mismanaged and a complete disaster for awhile now. Hiring people out of order, coaching searches that were flawed from the very beginning and an owner who, for everything he has accomplished in the business world, couldn't apply basic functions of business to his football hobby.
The fact that they now have a Vice President with a football background in Mike Tannenbaum, overseeing a process in which he just hired his own General Manager for the first time, who will be involved in hiring his own Head Coach for the first time, who will then have the ability to hire his own staff, is a great thing.
They are finally acting like a business and not a bunch of monkeys ****ing a bowling ball. Finally this team has some structural integrity at the top, and that tends to trickle down throughout an organization.
Now, with that being said, they still have to hire the right PEOPLE to fill those roles. Whether Tannenbaum, Grier and the new HC are in fact, those people, remains to be seen. But honestly, I am a fan of how they have cleaned up this formally convoluted mess of a front office flow chart to a much more linear approach, with defined lines of who reports to whom.
So no, I won't take shots at Chris Grier...yet. He hasn't done anything for me to take shots at. He has been with Miami a long time and seems like a guy who wants to see this team succeed and now has a direct way of doing so.
So yeah, while the last 20 years or so have been brutal, there is no reason to kill the next guy...yet.
"jw3102 wrote:
Every fanbase should get a clean slate from time to time too. Now is that time and I just wish Ross would sell the team so we can hopefully get an owner who knows how to hire competent people to run his football team.
I do not trust for one minute that Ross knows anything when it comes to hiring quality football people to build and run this team.
I appreciate you are willing to give the next coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. I just believe it all starts at the top and our top is clueless.
Why don't you wait until we find out who the next HC is. The wait won't be that long. I can understand your view of Tannenbaum and Grier (even though I'm not as negative on them as you), but you can't be down on the next HC until we know who he is.
"Samphin wrote:
Why do you guys want a head coach that has a GM responsibilities anyway? We did that for a long time here an it didn't work. Typically, you want your GM and upper management in place FIRST, and then hire the employees. This is the first time Miami has gotten this right in a LONG time.
Tannenbaum already stated that the new HC would have input with the roster. Grier's job will be to take his knowledge of the available talent (college and pros), and try to go and get the players that fit the team the best under the new coach. This isn't a bad thing. It is, in fact, a good thing.
The coach's job is to take the talent, and win football games with it. Clear, defined roles. Organization and structure. Something that has been missing from this franchise for a long time.
And Tannenbaum overseas the entire process. I would trust him over Stephen Ross who used to be in that role for a few year as well as owner.
I want a head coach and a GM who can work together and are on the same page when it comes to building an effective offense and defense.
As far as Tannebaum is concerned. I do not think he is the best man for the job he has with the Dolphins. He ruined the Jets through his drafting and his handling of the cap. I fear he will leave the Dolphins in worse shape than they were when he was hired.
He has been here one year. He vastly overpaid for Suh and added no other players in free agency who upgraded this team this past season. The Dolphins were 8-8 the past two seasons and after the first season with Tannebaum running the show, they are 6-10.
If you are satisfied with Tannebaum as head of football operations. That is great for you. As for me, I just fear we are going to see more of the same with him in charge and we will be back here in three years, if not sooner, going through yet another coaching change and another rebuilding program.
I was hoping for a complete overhaul of the front office and coaching staff . All we got in the front office was a reshuffling of what was already there and I think that makes hiring a quality head coach that much harder.

