Dolphins can clear lots of cap space
62 replies
"DolphinGreg wrote:
cbrad nailed it Finster.
This kind of reminds of me Randy Moss in Oakland. Did the production go down? Yes. Did the motivation go down? Yes. However, Moss's potential to dominate didn't disappear when he went to the Raiders which is why when Moss became a Patriot he magically became great again. The talent was still there. It was just being wasted in Oakland and to be fair Moss didn't work as hard as he should have.
Suh is in a similar position. He signed on with a team I'm sure he thought had a legit chance to be something only to find the HC had no idea what he was doing, the OC and the QB had major question marks and the defensive roster was weak. Suh's potential to dominate has not changed. He's still a guy you can build around. He's still the same guy he's been over the last few years.
The only thing the Dolphins suckage tells us is that having 1 or 2 great players does not a great defense make.
I still don't think he's worth anywhere near what he's making.

"Finster wrote:
On the 1st TD for Philly, they ran right at Suh, and Klein? blocked him out of the play 1 on 1 for an easy TD, so I don't agree with you that he's worth it, not buy a long shot imo.
Really? No player is dominant at all times. Suh had a sack, a bunch of pressures, multiple tackles for loss, etc.. You really can't expect a DL to play much better, especially since he's starting to become consistent at this in Miami. No, you gotta keep players like that and build around them, even if the salary is massive. I'd agree with you if Suh's salary is the reason we can't build a great defense, but I think that's a long-shot argument.
"Finster wrote:
On the 1st TD for Philly, they ran right at Suh, and Klein? blocked him out of the play 1 on 1 for an easy TD, so I don't agree with you that he's worth it, not buy a long shot imo.
Oh no! Someone blocked Suh one-on-one?!?!? He didn't dominate his man on every snap?!?!
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
"Finster wrote:
On the 1st TD for Philly, they ran right at Suh, and Klein? blocked him out of the play 1 on 1 for an easy TD, so I don't agree with you that he's worth it, not buy a long shot imo.
On the first TD blah, blah, blah.
Philly put 3 points on the board in three quarters after that.
Explain that?
"WhiteIbanez wrote:
On the first TD blah, blah, blah.
Philly put 3 points on the board in three quarters after that.
Explain that?
Bradford sucked.

"GARDENHEAD wrote:
Oh no! Someone blocked Suh one-on-one?!?!? He didn't dominate his man on every snap?!?!
They ran right at him, and blocked him 1 on 1, you think that was a stab in the dark, lol, he sucks against the run.

so let's see here, Jennings and Cameron are basically not doing anything for us this season, they're def cut. Grimes and wake, I love them both. They gave us their best and they deserve better...but we can't justify paying them at their age at their positions at their salaries. I don't see how Misi stays at that salary either. He's not terrible...he's just not good.
This a well timed article given that we won today without any of those guys basically. we got a glimpse of our future today. Suh was beast, the young CBs played. If we could allocate the money going to wake and grimes into a stud LB or safety, and actually draft someone in the first round who can play his first year...at all...we could build a real defense
I'm fine with Wake and Grimes coming back on discount contracts, but if we can shed salary to improve the defense i'm all for it. We definitely need to build this around Suh. Yes he has a fat contract. But in my opinion He's earning it and only getting better. I think Hewitt is a gem, I think Hull can add depth, Vigil, Fede, Shelby....all nice pieces on the defense that can provide depth. Lippett and Bobby Mac have finally got on the field, I want to see more of them. Our defense is quite young which is rather exciting. Not all of these guys are gonna be stars, but expect a few to rise up and become starters. Just need a good draft, and to make smart moves in free agency.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
The article leaves out the dead money that would/will come from cutting certain players, though. Heres a quick rundown:
Wake: 8.4 mil savings, 1.4 dead money
Cameron: 7.5, 2.0
Grimes: 6.5, 3.0
Jennings: 4.0, 1.5
Misi: 3.7, 1.1
Mitchell: 2.5, 1.0
Br. McCain: 2.5, 1.0
Fox: 1.4, 0.2Plus the case of Dion Jordan, which is still a bit of a mystery. We'd save 3.2 by cuttting him, but it still seems unclear if we'd take a hit or not.
Not factoring in Jordan, we would save a gross of 36.5 million by cutting all of the listed players after the season, but also take a dead money hit of 15.4 million, leaving a net savings of about 21 million. My feeling is that Jennings, Mitchell, Fox and McCain are gone. Grimes likely stays around for one more year, both out of need and because he has a more managable cap hit the following season. The rest likely depend on who the new coach is.
Jordan has a dead cap of 2.9
"Alex13 wrote:
Jordan has a dead cap of 2.9
There was talk over the summer when he was suspended that we may be able to get out of that. I haven't heard anything since.
"Rocky Raccoon wrote:
I think re-signing Miller needs to be a priority. Other than that, as Barry said, we need to make sure we make the right decisions on who we bring in. That's what will be most important.
Not really, nothing that special about Lamar Miller. I wouldn't pay him. I'm a firm believer that the OL dictates how a RB will do on any given day. They could literally move Ajayi into featured back mode and I dont think we'd lose much.
Formerly known as IdrA,
formerly known as Kud.
"IdrA wrote:
Not really, nothing that special about Lamar Miller. I wouldn't pay him. I'm a firm believer that the OL dictates how a RB will do on any given day. They could literally move Ajayi into featured back mode and I dont think we'd lose much.
You would have to put a lot of hope he doesn't get hurt again. I think it best to work him in. Miller is a very underrated RB in the NFL. Gannon said during the game yesterday, Miller was one of teh best RBs no one is talking about. He is definitely a keeper.
"IdrA wrote:
Not really, nothing that special about Lamar Miller. I wouldn't pay him. I'm a firm believer that the OL dictates how a RB will do on any given day. They could literally move Ajayi into featured back mode and I dont think we'd lose much.
Miller is really good. Both as a runner and a receiver. I'm not sure why some people refuse to believe that.
"Finster wrote:
They ran right at him, and blocked him 1 on 1, you think that was a stab in the dark, lol, he sucks against the run.
What is wrong with you?
"IdrA wrote:
Not really, nothing that special about Lamar Miller. I wouldn't pay him. I'm a firm believer that the OL dictates how a RB will do on any given day. They could literally move Ajayi into featured back mode and I dont think we'd lose much.
Lamar Miller has the highest yards after contact of any active back right now.
"Rocky Raccoon wrote:
Miller is really good. Both as a runner and a receiver. I'm not sure why some people refuse to believe that.
He needs better guard play to shine, unfortunately. There's also a lot of dopey run calls that the defense predicts before the snap almost half of the time. I feel bad for the kid.
"heylookatme wrote:
What is wrong with you?
I love how stating the truth makes something wrong with me, smh.

"gunn34 wrote:
You would have to put a lot of hope he doesn't get hurt again. I think it best to work him in. Miller is a very underrated RB in the NFL. Gannon said during the game yesterday, Miller was one of teh best RBs no one is talking about. He is definitely a keeper.
It all depends on Miller's contract demands. I would re-sign him but not at a premium. If that's the case I would try to find a "good" back next season to complement Ajayi b/c Jay has special talent.
1/4/16 - Chris Grier : "The talk of dysfunction within the organization is over."
Today - Me & every other Dolfan : "Lies!!!"
It does seem like they are clued into the calls at times. I can often predict the call too,
Lord help us.
"Itsdahumidity wrote:
It all depends on Miller's contract demands. I would re-sign him but not at a premium. If that's the case I would try to find a "good" back next season to complement Ajayi b/c Jay has special talent.
he looked special running into the back of his teammate
Lord help us.
"DolphinGreg wrote:
I like every move they mentioned aside from restructuring Tannehill. If that negatively affects Miami's being able to move away from Tannehill after next year, the team shouldn't do it. The team really needs to have that option available to them.
By contrast, there are worse things than being tied to Ndamukong Suh. Miami can build a defense around him. He's consistently ranked highly, even now while the defense is playing badly. We know that Suh is a dominant player. We don't know that about Tannehill, for instance. With Suh, you have an elite player who isn't too old and who has little history of injury. There's nothing wrong with that. The price is high because the production is high. That's not unfair.
As far as Wake, Grimes, Mitchell and Misi...lose 'em all. They are of very little value at this point. Wake and Grimes are too expensive while Misi and Mitchell aren't good enough.
Cameron is under-appreciated. He's no less a fit than any other good TE would be. The problem is not him, it's the offense and the QB. Still, if the production doesn't match the cost, then Miami is forced to let him go.
This is what I've been saying. Jordan Cameron is a top 5 tight end when you have a QB throwing him the ball down field. Here he is being wasted. Some games he is only getting 1 or 2 targets. Really? A guy like him is a huge mismatch against opposing linebackers. He is big in the seams and can go up and get the ball in the end zone. But Tannehill defenders will tell you he sucks and his lack of production is his fault. Even though he was a stud in Cleveland before those concussions. It's a combination of the coach not calling plays for him and Tannehill not giving him the ball. I guarantee if he leaves to another team he will star for another team like he did in Cleveland. In fact I wouldn't mind that to see what Tannehill defenders would have to say then.
"Phins Up Wins Up wrote:
This is what I've been saying. Jordan Cameron is a top 5 tight end when you have a QB throwing him the ball down field. Here he is being wasted. Some games he is only getting 1 or 2 targets. Really? A guy like him is a huge mismatch against opposing linebackers. He is big in the seams and can go up and get the ball in the end zone. But Tannehill defenders will tell you he sucks and his lack of production is his fault. Even though he was a stud in Cleveland before those concussions. It's a combination of the coach not calling plays for him and Tannehill not giving him the ball. I guarantee if he leaves to another team he will star for another team like he did in Cleveland. In fact I wouldn't mind that to see what Tannehill defenders would have to say then.
I think you could put it firmly on lazor. Charles Clay under mike sherman in 2013, complete stud. Lazor comes to town, Clay looks nothing like his past self. Cameron comes here, also looks nothing like his past self.
Lazors offense is all slants, swing passes and screens. There's no room for a big TE in his playcalls.
The only time lazor specifically targets TEs is the redzone, and he's actually had great success. Stoneburner has 2 tds, sims 1, and cameron 1. When lazors forced to use TEs he finds success.
The problem is lazor never learns anything. "Hmmm, lets see...Ajayi gets 44yds on 4 carries, better stop running him. TEs are mismatches in the redzone, bether not throw to them between the 20s. I haven't called a wr screen in awhile"
"Disgustipate wrote:
Lamar Miller has the highest yards after contact of any active back right now.
So? If I'm GM i'm not dumping a ton of money into the RB position, and Lamar is gonna command a pretty high pay day on the open market. Lets be realistic. Way more important holes to fill. Are the Miami Dolphins ever gonna get it that you don't win by buying players? You groom replacements.
That is why NE never has a bad year even though they have a revolving door at most positions.
Formerly known as IdrA,
formerly known as Kud.
"CitizenSnips wrote:
I think you could put it firmly on lazor. Charles Clay under mike sherman in 2013, complete stud. Lazor comes to town, Clay looks nothing like his past self. Cameron comes here, also looks nothing like his past self.
Lazors offense is all slants, swing passes and screens. There's no room for a big TE in his playcalls.
The only time lazor specifically targets TEs is the redzone, and he's actually had great success. Stoneburner has 2 tds, sims 1, and cameron 1. When lazors forced to use TEs he finds success.
The problem is lazor never learns anything. "Hmmm, lets see...Ajayi gets 44yds on 4 carries, better stop running him. TEs are mismatches in the redzone, bether not throw to them between the 20s. I haven't called a wr screen in awhile"
Man I wish he would call some slants!!!! Twice Matthews has had some good yards on the 2 I think they have thrown this year. normally curls or outs, but man that slant!!! and why doesn't the fast dude get slants?? I cant even think of his name cause they don't throw him the ball much.
Lord help us.
"DolphinGreg wrote:
This sentimentality is annoying. It's not how you build football teams. I don't care if it hurts your feeling, dude. The writing was on the wall 2-3 years ago and people justifiably starting discussing Wake's value. That's called instinct. When you sense a player is about to start his decline it's a smart fan who recognizes the value in moving on.
If anyone was "sensing" a decline in Wake's play 2 or 3 years ago, they just don't know football. Period. End of argument. No need to continue.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com