Harbaugh/Dolphins in the news again

26 replies

PLplc001SupporterOP
Jan 8, 2022, 03:51 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/michigans-jim-harbaugh-drawing-attention-from-several-nfl-teams-held-in-high-regard-by-raiders-dolphins/amp/

I knew this was coming…. Just wish it wasn’t. Ross hasn’t learned you don’t talk to other coaches while already having one??

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jan 8, 2022, 04:14 PM

"plc001 wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/michigans-jim-harbaugh-drawing-attention-from-several-nfl-teams-held-in-high-regard-by-raiders-dolphins/amp/

I knew this was coming…. Just wish it wasn’t. Ross hasn’t learned you don’t talk to other coaches while already having one??

Almost everyone in the media is connecting him to either Vegas or Chicago.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 05:11 PM

"plc001 wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/michigans-jim-harbaugh-drawing-attention-from-several-nfl-teams-held-in-high-regard-by-raiders-dolphins/amp/

I knew this was coming…. Just wish it wasn’t. Ross hasn’t learned you don’t talk to other coaches while already having one??

It's just speculation at this point - Harbaugh is coming off a big season in college and we have been tied to him before. He's also being connected to Vegas (he's good friends with their owner) and the Bears.

Personally, I think he makes the jump back to the NFL. I also wouldn't be stunned if Ross does reach out privately and that he is one of the few coaches Ross would fire Flores to get, especially if we have a poor showing against New England.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jan 8, 2022, 05:18 PM

I personally think that Harbaugh is overrated. Yes, the 49ers won 13, 11 and 12 games his first three years and went to a Super Bowl, but for a guy with an offensive background, the only year of his four that they ranked above #20 in offense was the SB year in 2012.

Meanwhile, the defense lead by Vic Fangio, was in the top 5 all four years. That defense was fabulous. I don't think I've liked one more since that period. But would Harbaugh be brining Fangio with him if the latter was fired by the Broncos? If so, then count me intrigued. If not, then no.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 05:20 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

It's just speculation at this point - Harbaugh is coming off a big season in college and we have been tied to him before. He's also being connected to Vegas (he's good friends with their owner) and the Bears.

Personally, I think he makes the jump back to the NFL. I also wouldn't be stunned if Ross does reach out privately and that he is one of the few coaches Ross would fire Flores to get, especially if we have a poor showing against New England.

I agree- him and Ross go way back and there's a lot of mutual respect there. I could see Ross doing the same thing he did with the last regimen- offer Harbaugh the GM/head coach position but then tell Flores and Grier they're welcome to stay. Or pitch something ridiculous like a co-head coach.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 05:38 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

I agree- him and Ross go way back and there's a lot of mutual respect there. I could see Ross doing the same thing he did with the last regimen- offer Harbaugh the GM/head coach position but then tell Flores and Grier they're welcome to stay. Or pitch something ridiculous like a co-head coach.

Nah, if Harbaugh is coming back to the NFL he's doing as coach with GM power. Grier will either be second in command or will be bumped to some cushy executive spot in favor of a Harbaugh guy. He won't come back to the league to play under a traditional structure. Flores will just be out.

It's why the Raiders job is cited as the front runner - they had no issue giving Gruden that deal and would probably give Harbaugh the same.

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I personally think that Harbaugh is overrated. Yes, the 49ers won 13, 11 and 12 games his first three years and went to a Super Bowl, but for a guy with an offensive background, the only year of his four that they ranked above #20 in offense was the SB year in 2012.

Meanwhile, the defense lead by Vic Fangio, was in the top 5 all four years. That defense was fabulous. I don't think I've liked one more since that period. But would Harbaugh be brining Fangio with him if the latter was fired by the Broncos? If so, then count me intrigued. If not, then no.

What rankings are you using? Fangio and the D were certainly good, but the offense was pretty explosive and fun to watch, though it tailed off a bit in the last year as there was organizational dysfunction. He turned CKap into a pro-bowl caliber player and had some interesting things going on. He did show a good ability to put together a top notch staff there though.

Personally, I don't really like the idea (especially of giving him GM powers) but I'm also at the point where I'm not carrying Flores' water. If he goes, so be it.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jan 8, 2022, 05:47 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Nah, if Harbaugh is coming back to the NFL he's doing as coach with GM power. Grier will either be second in command or will be bumped to some cushy executive spot in favor of a Harbaugh guy. He won't come back to the league to play under a traditional structure. Flores will just be out.

It's why the Raiders job is cited as the front runner - they had no issue giving Gruden that deal and would probably give Harbaugh the same.

What rankings are you using? Fangio and the D were certainly good, but the offense was pretty explosive and fun to watch, though it tailed off a bit in the last year as there was organizational dysfunction. He turned CKap into a pro-bowl caliber player and had some interesting things going on. He did show a good ability to put together a top notch staff there though.

Personally, I don't really like the idea (especially of giving him GM powers) but I'm also at the point where I'm not carrying Flores' water. If he goes, so be it.

With a defense that strong, you can't just look at points scored as a basis. They were frequently given favorable field position and/or the defense scored itself. So I look at the other offensive stats.

In 2011, SF ranked 26th in yards gained. 8th in rushing and 29th in passing.
In 2012, they ranked 11th in yards gained. 4th in rushing and 23rd in passing.
In 2013, they ranked 24th in yards gained. 3rd in rushing and 30th in passing.
In 2014, they ranked 20th in yards gained. 4th in rushing and 30th in passing.

They ranked 23rd, 14th, 25th and and 22nd in first downs gained.

I don't want an offense that's exciting. I want one that's productive, consistent, and moves between the 20s like a well oiled machine week after week. I don't think Harbaugh has ever created that. I'd personally much, much rather have the 49ers current HC, Kyle Shanahan.

PUpumpdogsForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 06:17 PM

I am ready to get our typical pointless last game out of the way and see where the chips will fall in this offseason per the last 20 years.

canesz06canesz06Forum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 06:51 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I personally think that Harbaugh is overrated. Yes, the 49ers won 13, 11 and 12 games his first three years and went to a Super Bowl, but for a guy with an offensive background, the only year of his four that they ranked above #20 in offense was the SB year in 2012.

Meanwhile, the defense lead by Vic Fangio, was in the top 5 all four years. That defense was fabulous. I don't think I've liked one more since that period. But would Harbaugh be brining Fangio with him if the latter was fired by the Broncos? If so, then count me intrigued. If not, then no.

We havent own more than 10 games in 25 years I bet and havent been to a Super Bowl in 38 years. So I'll take his "overrated" a$$

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jan 8, 2022, 07:01 PM

"canesz06 wrote:

We havent own more than 10 games in 25 years I bet and havent been to a Super Bowl in 38 years. So I'll take his "overrated" a$$

My point is that I don't think that he did as much with SF as he's been given credit for, really. He took a team that was already mostly built when he took over, hired a great defensive coordinator, and they took things to the next level. He didn't really build much, and he didn't really innovate on offense.

Its also important to note that the rest of the NFC West was bad when he took over, and the better the Seahawks and Cardinals got, the worse the 49ers did.

His story is a lot like Jon Gruden's with Tampa Bay. But Harbaugh got out when the getting was good, and kept his reputation mostly intact.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 07:17 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

But Harbaugh got out when the getting was good, and kept his reputation mostly intact.

I'm pretty sure he was forced out.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jan 8, 2022, 07:27 PM

"Silverphin wrote:

I'm pretty sure he was forced out.

Either way, the 49ers were trending the wrong way. They won a combined 7 games the next two seasons under Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly. They probably would have been a little better with Harbaugh, but not better than mediocre. By leaving when he did, a lot of people don't associate him with how the team fell apart. But he left the team worse than how he found it. Honestly, maybe the better analogy for his tenure there is Wanny, not Gruden. Except that the defense that drove all of those victories wasn't Harbaugh's baby.

Dolphin DundeeDolphin DundeeForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 07:32 PM

All i know is unless some major changes are made this off season i'm not at all excited for next year. It's getting so boring watching this garbage offense and with the refs making the worse calls i've ever seen these past few years it's starting to be a waste of my time.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 08:04 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

They won a combined 7 games the next two seasons under Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly.

To be very fair, both of the coaches you mentioned has made very questionable decisions, such as starting Blaine Gabbert over Colin Kaepernick.

As a matter of fact, Secret Base (fka SB Nation) made a whole video about it.

Not that I'm lobbying for Jim Harbaugh, but the 49ers had a lot of internal issues that led to them trending in the wrong direction.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 08:51 PM

I wouldn't care. Not that I think Harbaugh is a better coach than Flores, but if it was someone Ross wanted that badly, maybe he'd actually let them have personnel power and Grier would be out. That would be a good thing.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 8, 2022, 10:09 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

With a defense that strong, you can't just look at points scored as a basis. They were frequently given favorable field position and/or the defense scored itself. So I look at the other offensive stats.

In 2011, SF ranked 26th in yards gained. 8th in rushing and 29th in passing.
In 2012, they ranked 11th in yards gained. 4th in rushing and 23rd in passing.
In 2013, they ranked 24th in yards gained. 3rd in rushing and 30th in passing.
In 2014, they ranked 20th in yards gained. 4th in rushing and 30th in passing.

They ranked 23rd, 14th, 25th and and 22nd in first downs gained.

I don't want an offense that's exciting. I want one that's productive, consistent, and moves between the 20s like a well oiled machine week after week. I don't think Harbaugh has ever created that. I'd personally much, much rather have the 49ers current HC, Kyle Shanahan.

If they had short fields, wouldn't their yardage be lower? Those rush/pass splits are interesting though. He's definitely still a guy that likes to run the ball at Michigan and will likely prioritize that if he lands back in the NFL.

His OC was Greg Roman and they ran a proto Lamar Jackson type of offense with Kap before Lamar was a thing.

I don't disagree about Kyle, but that's not happening.

"Silverphin wrote:

I'm pretty sure he was forced out.

He and Trent Baalke (GM at the time) went at it and the ownership weirdly sided with Baalke, who is a total fraud. Fun fact, he's the Jags GM right now and is the reason their fans are planning to dress up as clowns because they think he is a clown.

It's also likely why Harbaugh wouldn't come back unless he gets personnel power.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 10:55 AM

Well, Fangio is available. :tongue:

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Jan 9, 2022, 11:28 AM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Well, Fangio is available. :tongue:

I would love to fire Flores and hire a great offensive HC who hires Fangio. But I don't think that's likely.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 12:30 PM

OC and veteran OL coach should be first.

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 12:48 PM

This is all pure speculation. I think Flores made a case for one more year. I think the media likes to stir the pot for clicks.

RoukRoukForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 12:51 PM

A coach that likes to run the football. Would need a massive overhaul of this offense but tbh the offense already needs one so could work. Tua would probably benefit from him as a coach. Watson not so much imo. If they plan on going for watson i think they should go after a more offensive minded headcoach.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 12:54 PM

"Rouk wrote:

A coach that likes to run the football. Would need a massive overhaul of this offense but tbh the offense already needs one so could work. Tua would probably benefit from him as a coach. Watson not so much imo. If they plan on going for watson i think they should go after a more offensive minded headcoach.

Just need a functional offensive line.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

RoukRoukForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 01:17 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Just need a functional offensive line.

For the dolphins that’s like asking for the cure to cancer.

FIFishheadForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 01:25 PM

"Rouk wrote:

For the dolphins that’s like asking for the cure to cancer.

Combined with finding Jimmy Hoffa.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Jan 9, 2022, 01:28 PM

"Rouk wrote:

For the dolphins that’s like asking for the cure to cancer.

Yea it has been frustrating

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty