Potential Offseason cuts
41 replies
Player with 2016 cap figure, per Spotrac.
Cam Wake - $9.8M
Brent Grimes - $9.5M
Jordan Cameron - $9.5M
Dion Jordan - $6.2M
Greg Jennings - $5.5M
Quinton Coples - $7.7M
Grimes and Jennings are no brainers ... Grimes was just plain terrible and Jennings was a terrible signing.
Jordan most likely as well, given his history. He'd have to do a lot to show himself worthy ...
Wake is a question with his injury ...
Cameron and Coples must be thought about by the new regime. Didn't pay much attention to Coples' performance since we signed him. Cameron depends on what we want to do offense.
Grimes, Coples and Jennings are easy ones. Some other ones like Jordan depend on scheme. Wake has said he's willing to renegotiate his deal but he wants incentives built in. To me he's a keeper.
Whats the dead money?
We're all here because we're all not there.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/cap/2016/
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/miami-dolphins/
These are the two sites that I use.
Wake: 9.8 savings / 1.4 hit
Grimes: 9.5 savings / 3.0 hit
Cameron: 9.5 savings / 2.0 hit
Coples: 7.75 savings / no hit
D. Jordan: 6.2 savings / 2.99 hit
Jennings: 5.5 savings / 1.5 hit
Misi: 4.88 savings / 1.15 hit
Mitchell: 3.5 savings / 1.0 hit
Br. McCain: 3.5 savings / 1.0 hit
J. Taylor: 1.1 savings / 0.25 hit
Fox: 1.5 savings / 0.16 hit
D. Thomas: 0.86 savings / 0.15 hit
D. Moore: 0.70 savings / no hit
Also to think about are the savings from 2017 that would be gained from Grimes (8.5), Misi (4.7), and Mitchell (4.5).
I feel like Wake and Coples will BOTH be back at reduced salaries. Just a hunch, particularly with respect to Coples.
@KevinMD4
"RoninFin4 wrote:
I feel like Wake and Coples will BOTH be back at reduced salaries. Just a hunch, particularly with respect to Coples.
I agree that there's a good chance. With Wake though, would he take a simple reduction? Would there be an added year or two, and could those be voided?
Koa Misi hopefully.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
"Launchpad McQuack wrote:
Koa Misi hopefully.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I have no warm and fuzzy feelings for Misi, and won't complain if he's let go, but he may be safe due to how horrible his position is. We can save a net total (after hits) of about 25 million by cutting Grimes, Brice McCain, Jordan, Cameron, Jennings and Fox, all of whom I think are almost guaranteed to go. It depends on how much the team needs room beyond that and how much they want them gone for the others.
Wake should be retained if a good contract with incentives can be done. most others are expendable.
Misi is trustworthy OLB and MLB depth. Can't get rid of everyone this year.
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
"BigDogsHunt wrote:
Misi is trustworthy OLB and MLB depth. Can't get rid of everyone this year.
He's trustworthy if you made a bet every year that he'll get hurt.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Wake definitely needs to come back next year....He's such a team guy, already willing to re-negotiate and do what it takes to stay. You don't ignore that, especially when he can still play at a high level. I hope he retires a Miami Dolphin, it would be sickening to see him elsewhere.
"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Wake definitely needs to come back next year....He's such a team guy, already willing to re-negotiate and do what it takes to stay. You don't ignore that, especially when he can still play at a high level. I hope he retires a Miami Dolphin, it would be sickening to see him elsewhere.
I love Wake, and it would be unfortunate to see him play elsewhere, but I went into the season before he got hurt thinking we may need to move on. With his salary, he would have to accept a lower number to return, and the fact that his dead money is fairly small gives the team some leverage. We'll see what happens.
What kind of success do people have after an Achilles is the real question. I don't think it is good. I just don't see him as a significant contributor. Would need a big cut to come back. Cannot be blinded by loyalty to aging stars here.
I think Wake will be restructured for the year he has remaining. If he produces, re-sign him to another short-term deal. I'd focus on a way to bring back Coples as a run-stopping base end you can move inside on passing downs. I'd try and bring back Vernon as well if the new coaching staff runs a scheme that keeps him playing wider techniques. Use Wake as a pass-rush specialist as they did from the Titans game to the Pats game where he was hurt.
Cut Misi. He's subpar and is always hurt. Sign Sean Weatherspoon to play SLB. Sign Zach Brown as depth. Find a way to draft Ragland or Beckwith.
@KevinMD4
I love Wake and want to see him retire as a Dolphin. Give him what he wants. Restructure his deal to be more team friendly and give him some incentive bonuses. I say do the same with Coples.
Grimes, Jordan, Cameron and Jennings need to be cut. I'd be ok with resigning Cameron but he's not worth $9.5MM.
I'm inclined to say give Jamar Taylor more time. The mental errors are maddening, but he has size and talent in a secondary that lacks size and talent. I'd rather let Grimes take a walk and save the $10 million for OL and defense in FA. Vontae Davis and Sean Smith blossomed elsewhere, that happens to us far to often.
ps As to the OL, if Donald Thomas is healthy now, why not give him another shot? He's only 30. He apparently worked out for the Giants in November.
Dion Jordan? Ha. Good one.
I would cut every single one of those guys. Start to change the culture and get some new faces and better talent in here
Then I'd definitely bring back Cam Wake at a reduced rate. He's really the only guy on that list I want back
EDIT: Jordan Cameron still intrigues me too, but that'll be based on what scheme we run. I know it's not his fault that he has to stay in and block all the time, but he's not worth that salary.
Not to be rude to anyone in particular, but you guys who want to cut Wake are clearly showing everyone how ignorant you really are.
If Wake is cut he will have an offer from 31 teams the next day.
Wake the___up!
"Phoenician Fan wrote:
Not to be rude to anyone in particular, but you guys who want to cut Wake are clearly showing everyone how ignorant you really are.
If Wake is cut he will have an offer from 31 teams the next day.
Wake the___up!
He's a month away from being 34 and he shredded his achilles tendon, the same injury that has Dan Marino limping to this day. Those are big deals.
"Phoenician Fan wrote:
Not to be rude to anyone in particular, but you guys who want to cut Wake are clearly showing everyone how ignorant you really are.
If Wake is cut he will have an offer from 31 teams the next day.
Wake the___up!
You're 100% certain he'll be back to where he was? No doubt worth almost 10 million?
"Phoenician Fan wrote:
Not to be rude to anyone in particular, but you guys who want to cut Wake are clearly showing everyone how ignorant you really are.
If Wake is cut he will have an offer from 31 teams the next day.
Wake the___up!
All 31 huh, and everyone else is ignorant?
Have you heard the story about the pot and the kettle?

I'd like to see Jordan Cameron restructured and re-signed over the next few seasons.
I'd happily lose Rishard Matthews to free agency if I knew I could bring Jordan Cameron back over the next few years. TE is a realy need if you lose Cameron and WR is deep and relatively easy to fill with draft prospects these days. There are talented WRs everywhere across college football where as finding a TE as reliable as Jordan Cameron can sometimes take a 1st round pick.
It would make a lot of sense and would really help keep the focus on offense centered around fixing the offensive line.