Ten Years of Second Round Garbage - UPDATED!

61 replies

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporterOP
Aug 31, 2014, 01:22 PM

Guys selected in the Second Round

2012-Johnathan Martin

2011-Daniel Thomas

2010-Koa Misi

2009-Pat White
2009-Sean Smith

2008-Philip Merling
2008-Chad Henne

2007-John Beck
2007-Samson Saetele

2006-No Pick

2005-Matt Roth

2004- No pick

2003-Eddie Moore

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Aug 31, 2014, 01:25 PM

hello

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2014, 01:27 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

Guys selected in the Second Round

2012-Johnathan Martin

2011-Daniel Thomas

2010-Koa Misi

2009-Pat White
2009-Sean Smith

2008-Philip Merling
2008-Chad Henne

2007-John Beck
2007-Samson Saetele

2006-No Pick

2005-Matt Roth

2004- No pick

2003-Eddie Moore

Feel better now that you got that off your chest?

Alex44Alex44New Member
Aug 31, 2014, 01:28 PM

A couple of those guys are okay.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Aug 31, 2014, 01:29 PM

Koa, SSmith, Roth, they were not all scrubs BR

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 01:32 PM

Sorry, there was some venting there, inflamed by the cutting of Daniel Thomas.

Yes, Koa Misi is pretty good. But I would argue that Sean Smith was a bust and Matt "ooh, he's so great at setting the edge" Roth was a bust as well.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

seabass0795seabass0795New Member
Aug 31, 2014, 01:35 PM

Hopefully Dennis Hickey has broken that streak. I know we are all pumped up about Jarvis JUICE Landry

MORE THAN MAN


Follow me on Twitter: @Da_Bolivian

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Aug 31, 2014, 01:43 PM

Ya Landry's already leagues above most of those picks, from just one pre-season. I think there is plenty people expecting him to be just as good during live fire...at least I think he's shown it.

Which brings me back to a question I had a while back...what should be expected of a draft pick, by round, for it to be considered a good pick? If you pick a 1st or 2nd rounder that is a reliable career back-up, was that a good pick?

If you pick a 7th rounder that only makes the PS and never really contributes to the main 53 during the season, was that a bad pick?

I think we all want every pick to succeed, but that can't be the norm. I wonder what % of 2nd round draft picks become regular starters in the league?

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

muskrat21muskrat21Forum Veteran
Aug 31, 2014, 01:58 PM

if pat white wasn't on the list, daniel thomas would be the worst of all the names.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:00 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Koa, SSmith, Roth, they were not all scrubs BR

smith and Roth are backups, scrubs for 2nd round picks..

What a brutal decade and these guys get paid millions..jeez.

Tin IndianTin IndianForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2014, 02:06 PM

I think the first three rounds should at least generate solid starters. Granted all teams will miss and do, but our second round record over that time has been abysmal.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys.

DODolphans Unite!New Member
Aug 31, 2014, 02:07 PM

That's really not good. At least about a third of those picks need to become solid starters at worst.

Alex44Alex44New Member
Aug 31, 2014, 02:23 PM

"muskrat21 wrote:

if pat white wasn't on the list, daniel thomas would be the worst of all the names.

Not even close.

On the draft Quentin Rollins bandwagon.

OghmaOghmaSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:30 PM

How can anyone complain about Satele? Dude is still starting for us

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

"Where there is no vision, there is no hope"

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2014, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I think it's time to let those "Fire Ireland" chants to finally fade away. Every GM has some good picks and some bad ones, and you can't judge the bad without also looking at the good. In any case though, Ireland is officially retired and it's a week away from a new football season...I'd much rather talk about how we're going to whip the Pat's asses next Sunday than who we selected in 2003.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:39 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

Guys selected in the Second Round

2012-Johnathan Martin

2011-Daniel Thomas

2010-Koa Misi

2009-Pat White
2009-Sean Smith

2008-Philip Merling
2008-Chad Henne

2007-John Beck
2007-Samson Saetele

2006-No Pick

2005-Matt Roth

2004- No pick

2003-Eddie Moore

Here's how I would rank them:

1. Pat White - No commentary necessary.
2. Daniel Thomas - An argument was made by Footballoutsiders that he was the worst RB in the NFL his rookie year.
3. Eddie Moore - Did he ever make a play?
4. Jonathan Martin - No commentary necessary.
5. John Beck - Was lost out there every time.
6. Philip Merling - Not terrible, but not good either.
7. Sean Smith - If not for his dropped INTs he might have been a solid starter.
8. Matt Roth - HE SETS THE EDGE!
9. Samson Saetele - He played good. Once.
10. Chad Henne - He was almost good. Once.
11. Koa Misi - The tallest midget!

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Aug 31, 2014, 02:47 PM

I would have no problem with any of those players...had they been drafted in the fourth round.

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:48 PM

There are always going to be busts or over drafted players but damn to be like 2 for 11 is just sad and obviously a big reason why we haven't sniffed contention in years. I don't expect superstars in the 2nd round but solid starters should be attainable in the 2nd and 3rd rounds with a few studs sprinkled in if you know what you're doing. When you look at lists of our draft picks its sad to say that I think I could have drafted better and I am just a fan that watches a lot of football I certainly have no business picking players for a team but these guys are professional scouts and GMs...I mean **** this is just a sad sad list.

LarryfinfanLarryfinfanSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:51 PM

Problem with the complaint about the second round picks is that it's several different regimes...can't blame anyone in particular that would make a difference today....besides, Misi has been a good pick and if you want to look at the positives, Satele was a good enough pick, although I could argue that one... Martin's demise here had nothing to do with his ability as a player, Roth's situation was over money and while I like him as a player, he just didn't fit here and SS was a decent pick although not a star by any stretch. So there are mitigating circumstances as to many of those picks. However, the bottom line is, to me, it's only a ligit complaint if it were the same regime all along, which it sadly has not been...

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:54 PM

"Larryfinfan wrote:

Problem with the complaint about the second round picks is that it's several different regimes...can't blame anyone in particular that would make a difference today....besides, Misi has been a good pick and if you want to look at the positives, Satele was a good enough pick, although I could argue that one... Martin's demise here had nothing to do with his ability as a player, Roth's situation was over money and while I like him as a player, he just didn't fit here and SS was a decent pick although not a star by any stretch. So there are mitigating circumstances as to many of those picks. However, the bottom line is, to me, it's only a ligit complaint if it were the same regime all along, which it sadly has not been...

Martins talent did not warrant 2nd round consideration..

Alex13Alex13Supporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:56 PM

Sean Smith had a nice 1st year with the Chiefs, he is by no means a bad 2nd round pick

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 02:57 PM

J. Martin was a bust before he quit the team.

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

EverFinEverFinForum Veteran
Aug 31, 2014, 03:09 PM

"muskrat21 wrote:

if pat white wasn't on the list, daniel thomas would be the worst of all the names.

What about Eddie Moore and Pat White? I have them 1-2. Daniel Thomas at least made some plays.

MrCleanMrCleanSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 03:13 PM

"GARDENHEAD wrote:

Sorry, there was some venting there, inflamed by the cutting of Daniel Thomas.

Yes, Koa Misi is pretty good. But I would argue that Sean Smith was a bust and Matt "ooh, he's so great at setting the edge" Roth was a bust as well.

How could you argue with any substance that Sean Smith is a bust?

BTW, Samson Satele was not a bust either. He has been nothing but a regular starter for 7 seasons. Is your definition of a bust, any player who does not make the Pro Bowl?

“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”

― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Aug 31, 2014, 03:15 PM

"Alex13 wrote:

Sean Smith had a nice 1st year with the Chiefs, he is by no means a bad 2nd round pick

He was overrated while he was here, did decent last year and is now a backup..

I thought he was a third round pick though, either way I'm glad he's not here..tackled like a girl.