The Definitive Ryan Tannehill Post

320 replies

TItirty8Forum VeteranOP
Oct 10, 2016, 12:58 PM

As we all know, bashing Ryan Tannehill has become the most en vogue thing at the moment. I think that we all need a good ole fashioned scape goat, and certainly, RT seems to be that guy while Matt Moore has risen to savior status.

This weekend, I was watching the game with my buddy, and I looked over to him and said, "Aaron Rodgers would struggle behind this line." He is getting hit so quickly that it would be next to impossible for him to succeed. Realistically, if his first read is not open, he is probably going to get sacked.

And I guess this is where this Ryan Tannehill post is significantly different from all other posts. I ask you guys with all honesty, "What do you want Ryan to do and what do you reasonably expect?" When responding, please consider the limitations of the team. Our line is at an all-time low, so before responding, ask yourself what you can reasonably expect - read a defense/kinda hard to do, improve the vertical game/those plays take time to develop, cut down the interceptions/see previous issues.

So for the purposes of having meaningful a discussion, I ask you to state what you want Ryan to improve at, what your expectation is, and why you think that is reasonable considering the state of the team.

Rock SextonRock SextonForum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 01:09 PM

He is what he is at this point.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Oct 10, 2016, 01:11 PM

Stop trusting Dallas and Ju'Wan and Billy.

Move your damn feet. Scramble or something. Protect yourself.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 01:11 PM

This has been discussed as nauseum and quite frankly makes me nauseous reading the same two sided argument over and over again. Bill Murray in Groundhog Day is way more entertaining.

FinsterFinsterNew Member
Oct 10, 2016, 01:12 PM

Aaron Rodgers has played with some horrible OL play, even with his superior pocket presence and escapability, he has had 2 seasons where he was sacked 50 times, leading the league both of those years, he had 103 and 108 ratings for those years.

Ryan has no pocket presence and poor escapability, that's a big problem.

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 01:13 PM

I wanted to see him try to do something...anything, at this point, other than get smashed.

Maybe he can't...but I see young guys like Carr, Mariotta, Dak, routinely escape pressure. Tannehill just doesn't seem confident when it all breaks down.

I dunno. He seemed better at it his rookie year. Now, with no oline, and no run game, he's absolutely screwed.

CBcbradForum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 01:28 PM

"mlb1399 wrote:

This has been discussed as nauseum and quite frankly makes me nauseous reading the same two sided argument over and over again. Bill Murray in Groundhog Day is way more entertaining.

I agree.. the "definitive" Tannehill post/thread should be that the debate is over (that's the "expectation".. to answer the OP).

JWjw3102Forum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 01:35 PM

"Rock Sexton wrote:

He is what he is at this point.

I totally agree.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Oct 10, 2016, 02:24 PM

He's a limited player, playing behind an atrocious line..

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 02:27 PM

his wife is hot.

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 02:38 PM

"tirty8 wrote:

As we all know, bashing Ryan Tannehill has become the most en vogue thing at the moment. I think that we all need a good ole fashioned scape goat, and certainly, RT seems to be that guy while Matt Moore has risen to savior status.

This weekend, I was watching the game with my buddy, and I looked over to him and said, "Aaron Rodgers would struggle behind this line." He is getting hit so quickly that it would be next to impossible for him to succeed. Realistically, if his first read is not open, he is probably going to get sacked.

And I guess this is where this Ryan Tannehill post is significantly different from all other posts. I ask you guys with all honesty, "What do you want Ryan to do and what do you reasonably expect?" When responding, please consider the limitations of the team. Our line is at an all-time low, so before responding, ask yourself what you can reasonably expect - read a defense/kinda hard to do, improve the vertical game/those plays take time to develop, cut down the interceptions/see previous issues.

So for the purposes of having meaningful a discussion, I ask you to state what you want Ryan to improve at, what your expectation is, and why you think that is reasonable considering the state of the team.

I watch other games and see other qb's escape pressure.

Lord help us.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 02:39 PM

Since this will likely be Tannehill's last year in Miami (simply because of a ridiculous contract that pays him $17 million next year), I would like to see him do two things- and neither are really football related.

#1- He needs to figure out what a leader is and actually bond with his teammates. You can't lead when half the locker room thinks you're a douche.

#2- He needs to trust his instincts instead of the ones programmed into him by a string of lousy coaches. Did you see him light up a linebacker two weeks ago as he ran for the first down? That's not a guy who should be flat-footed in the pocket taking 6 sacks and a dozen hits per game. The kid has mad skills but he over-thinks everything post snap.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 03:18 PM

i blame the wife.

When dudes do great, there's always some slogan about how behind a good man... Shouldnt it go this way too?

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

ColmaxColmaxForum Veteran
Oct 10, 2016, 07:07 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

Since this will likely be Tannehill's last year in Miami (simply because of a ridiculous contract that pays him $17 million next year), I would like to see him do two things- and neither are really football related.

#1- He needs to figure out what a leader is and actually bond with his teammates. You can't lead when half the locker room thinks you're a douche.

#2- He needs to trust his instincts instead of the ones programmed into him by a string of lousy coaches. Did you see him light up a linebacker two weeks ago as he ran for the first down? That's not a guy who should be flat-footed in the pocket taking 6 sacks and a dozen hits per game. The kid has mad skills but he over-thinks everything post snap.

I think you hit the nail on the head with #2. But I'll take it a step further: lack of instincts. Sometimes, you just have to go out and play football. I think he's a great X's and O's guy, but football isn't always black and white. I just don't get it sometimes. I like the guy. Want him to succeed. If he succeeds, the team succeeds.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

~Henry David Thoreau

MAMan-UNew Member
Oct 11, 2016, 06:37 AM

People who say Tannehill got "Carr'd" believe that Tannehill actually is good/great and it's still someone else's fault. That is an illusion.

RGFRGFSupporter
Oct 11, 2016, 07:59 AM

I've been a Tannehill supporter but I'll admit I'm extremely close to the edge with this guy. I find myself yelling "step up ,step up", whenever I see the protection break down. HOWEVER, its kind of hard when theres no protection to begin with. The first sack on him this past Sunday was an absolute embarrassment regarding the OL. Totally out of position and clueless and that set the tone for the whole game. The whole mess is extremely frustrating to watch at this point. I know this is only game 4 of Gase's HC experience but I'm still waiting for the "QB guru" to help Tannehill along. So far, nothing. The play calling itself has been suspect as well. If the QB is getting hammered, why continue to call plays that leave him a sitting duck ? Roll outs, screens, mis-direction plays..anything to keep the DL at least a little honest. I'm sure Tannehill will never actually say it but maybe he's just a little tired of continually getting his ass kicked year after year with this team. Theres plenty of blame to go around thats for sure. I just hope he starts to scramble more to make up for the offensive line which is, well, offensive.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Oct 11, 2016, 08:39 AM

"RGF wrote:

I've been a Tannehill supporter but I'll admit I'm extremely close to the edge with this guy. I find myself yelling "step up ,step up", whenever I see the protection break down. HOWEVER, its kind of hard when theres no protection to begin with. The first sack on him this past Sunday was an absolute embarrassment regarding the OL. Totally out of position and clueless and that set the tone for the whole game. The whole mess is extremely frustrating to watch at this point. I know this is only game 4 of Gase's HC experience but I'm still waiting for the "QB guru" to help Tannehill along. So far, nothing. The play calling itself has been suspect as well. If the QB is getting hammered, why continue to call plays that leave him a sitting duck ? Roll outs, screens, mis-direction plays..anything to keep the DL at least a little honest. I'm sure Tannehill will never actually say it but maybe he's just a little tired of continually getting his ass kicked year after year with this team. Theres plenty of blame to go around thats for sure. I just hope he starts to scramble more to make up for the offensive line which is, well, offensive.

If you know your OL is suspect, I do believe i would leave a HB in to block or bring back the FB to the offense.

Lord help us.

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Oct 11, 2016, 09:41 AM

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/785815218429562880

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/785559061534212096


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

gunn34gunn34New Member
Oct 11, 2016, 09:43 AM

"mlb1399 wrote:

this has been discussed as nauseum and quite frankly makes me nauseous reading the same two sided argument over and over again. Bill murray in groundhog day is way more entertaining.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Oct 11, 2016, 09:48 AM

The offensive line is an abortion yet again. Looking at it on paper with Tunsil, Pouncey, and Albert along with James who showed so much promise as a rookie, one would think we were in great shape in that department. My question is this, can a quarterback eventually cause players to not play with as much desire, passion, etc? I mean isn't the Quarterback position the most polarizing and important position in football? Aren't your quarterbacks supposed to instill confidence in the entire team? People say that Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be able to throw with this offensive line protecting them and I just don't completely buy that. I think morale comes in to play big time here. The players/team, I don't think trust Ryan Tannehill anymore. It's also the reason why we see things in the media like "Tannehill has complete control of this offense" and "Tannehill looks sharper than ever" in those offseason/preseason hyped up articles.

Tannehill as a leader has always been in doubt, therefore people grasp desperately at any semblance of leadership that he shows and they run with it. Thing is, NOBODY that plays for this team, and nobody that follows this team is saying "hey....we got Tannehill on our team, we can beat anyone, bring it"! It's never a surprise to me when I see the Chargers right in a game late in the four quarter against a premier team in the league despite the fact that they aren't. They have Phillip Rivers, and it's on any given Sunday with that guy leading your team.

Going back to Brady and Rodgers or even a Philip Rivers for that matter, I think the difference between these guys and a Ryan Tannehill is that they hold their players accountable. They command and earn their respect from the players around them. Their greatness and the way they carry themselves elevates the players around them. If i'm blocking for Aaron Rodgers you better believe that I am going to die protecting him because I know that he can make a play if I give him time to do it. I also know that if I don't protect him and I give up a sack or worse....cause him to get injured, our season, and possibly even my career may very much be in doubt.

I just think emotion/mentality in football is such a big determining factor in the sport that gets consistently overlooked because people are either caught up in the big named players (Ross signing THE BIGGEST NAME IN FREE AGENCY EVERY YEAR), or the simple measurable of each player. I just don't think it is that simple due to that emotion that is involved in this sport. I mean...It's very much like being in a fight. Without sounding idiotic think of it like this...School back in the day. I always felt much more confident when I had my group of friends with me throughout the day, especially when the biggest, baddest dude of the bunch was on my side. I think the same logic applies to football at times. My point being that this team is tailor made to be solely reliant on the play of the quarterback. He is supposed to be the face of the franchise, he is supposed to be the guy that makes every one else better around him (including the defense). I include the defense because honestly, if the offense is doing their job the defense plays with a little more effort. When the defense does it's job (like in the Cincy game) and Tannehill leads the offense to a three and out or even worse....an interception/turnover, I think it takes the faith right out of the defense and destroys any confidence they may have built up. Therefore....the play of the Quarterback does have an effect on the defense in my opinion.

Tannehill has all the makings of a great Quarterback, he has size, arm strength, athleticism, and he's a tough bastard through and through. It's the mental side that shackles him and keeps him prisoner from achieving greatness, and at this point he's completely lost this team and is playing scared. As a fan of this team I certainly hope he can turn it around, pray that this is just a bad stretch, blame it on the O Line, use the excuse of learning a new offense yet again...I don't know, I just think he is what he is at this point. A mediocre Quarterback who can make some great throws when he has a clean pocket and time to throw.

As mentioned before Quarterbacks have quite a long shelf life and it wouldn't surprise me to see Tannehill go elsewhere and have success the same way Sam Bradford has done in Minnesota. I mean, the Vikings have a complete team built around him with great leadership and coaching right now. The team is playing with great confidence and winning games quite handily every week. It's no surprise to me that Bradford has stepped in and played well, it's a great environment for him to be in, and Bradford...Like Tannehill has always been able to make plays (and make any throw necessary) when he's not running for his life. With that said, the team is still playing with a very low morale and until that changes we can expect struggle so I guess embrace it.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Oct 11, 2016, 11:56 AM

"Man-U wrote:

People who say Tannehill got "Carr'd" believe that Tannehill actually is good/great and it's still someone else's fault. That is an illusion.

It's not even close to an illusion. I'd say that EVERY NFL QB has the potential to be the next Peyton Manning, but only 1 in a million will reach that level on their own. For the rest, it comes down to coaching....learning the defenses, making the reads, perfecting their timing, etc. College ball can't prepare you for those things because the level of competition isn't there. The defenses aren't as complex. The players aren't as fast.

NFL teams have 20+ coaches for a reason- they largely make or break how the players develop. For instance, our tight ends were highly productive under Campbell the past few seasons, now the unit looks like a big hot mess with him gone...and it's the same players. How do you explain that if the coaching is not at fault?

Tannehill is failing because he's failing...that burden ultimately falls on him alone. But you're delusional if you believe that coaches and other players don't play a part in that as well. That's why we call it a team sport.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Oct 11, 2016, 12:03 PM

"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

The offensive line is an abortion yet again. Looking at it on paper with Tunsil, Pouncey, and Albert along with James who showed so much promise as a rookie, one would think we were in great shape in that department. My question is this, can a quarterback eventually cause players to not play with as much desire, passion, etc? I mean isn't the Quarterback position the most polarizing and important position in football? Aren't your quarterbacks supposed to instill confidence in the entire team? People say that Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be able to throw with this offensive line protecting them and I just don't completely buy that. I think morale comes in to play big time here. The players/team, I don't think trust Ryan Tannehill anymore. It's also the reason why we see things in the media like "Tannehill has complete control of this offense" and "Tannehill looks sharper than ever" in those offseason/preseason hyped up articles.

Tannehill as a leader has always been in doubt, therefore people grasp desperately at any semblance of leadership that he shows and they run with it. Thing is, NOBODY that plays for this team, and nobody that follows this team is saying "hey....we got Tannehill on our team, we can beat anyone, bring it"! It's never a surprise to me when I see the Chargers right in a game late in the four quarter against a premier team in the league despite the fact that they aren't. They have Phillip Rivers, and it's on any given Sunday with that guy leading your team.

Going back to Brady and Rodgers or even a Philip Rivers for that matter, I think the difference between these guys and a Ryan Tannehill is that they hold their players accountable. They command and earn their respect from the players around them. Their greatness and the way they carry themselves elevates the players around them. If i'm blocking for Aaron Rodgers you better believe that I am going to die protecting him because I know that he can make a play if I give him time to do it. I also know that if I don't protect him and I give up a sack or worse....cause him to get injured, our season, and possibly even my career may very much be in doubt.

I just think emotion/mentality in football is such a big determining factor in the sport that gets consistently overlooked because people are either caught up in the big named players (Ross signing THE BIGGEST NAME IN FREE AGENCY EVERY YEAR), or the simple measurable of each player. I just don't think it is that simple due to that emotion that is involved in this sport. I mean...It's very much like being in a fight. Without sounding idiotic think of it like this...School back in the day. I always felt much more confident when I had my group of friends with me throughout the day, especially when the biggest, baddest dude of the bunch was on my side. I think the same logic applies to football at times. My point being that this team is tailor made to be solely reliant on the play of the quarterback. He is supposed to be the face of the franchise, he is supposed to be the guy that makes every one else better around him (including the defense). I include the defense because honestly, if the offense is doing their job the defense plays with a little more effort. When the defense does it's job (like in the Cincy game) and Tannehill leads the offense to a three and out or even worse....an interception/turnover, I think it takes the faith right out of the defense and destroys any confidence they may have built up. Therefore....the play of the Quarterback does have an effect on the defense in my opinion.

Tannehill has all the makings of a great Quarterback, he has size, arm strength, athleticism, and he's a tough bastard through and through. It's the mental side that shackles him and keeps him prisoner from achieving greatness, and at this point he's completely lost this team and is playing scared. As a fan of this team I certainly hope he can turn it around, pray that this is just a bad stretch, blame it on the O Line, use the excuse of learning a new offense yet again...I don't know, I just think he is what he is at this point. A mediocre Quarterback who can make some great throws when he has a clean pocket and time to throw.

As mentioned before Quarterbacks have quite a long shelf life and it wouldn't surprise me to see Tannehill go elsewhere and have success the same way Sam Bradford has done in Minnesota. I mean, the Vikings have a complete team built around him with great leadership and coaching right now. The team is playing with great confidence and winning games quite handily every week. It's no surprise to me that Bradford has stepped in and played well, it's a great environment for him to be in, and Bradford...Like Tannehill has always been able to make plays (and make any throw necessary) when he's not running for his life. With that said, the team is still playing with a very low morale and until that changes we can expect struggle so I guess embrace it.

Nail, meet head.

mor911mor911Forum Veteran
Oct 11, 2016, 12:25 PM

Are we going to acknowledge his wife in all of this? Or just let it go unnoticed?

yesssssssssssssssssss

Fin D;2829671 wrote:

As mor wisely said

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Oct 11, 2016, 08:24 PM

"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

The offensive line is an abortion yet again. Looking at it on paper with Tunsil, Pouncey, and Albert along with James who showed so much promise as a rookie, one would think we were in great shape in that department. My question is this, can a quarterback eventually cause players to not play with as much desire, passion, etc? I mean isn't the Quarterback position the most polarizing and important position in football? Aren't your quarterbacks supposed to instill confidence in the entire team? People say that Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be able to throw with this offensive line protecting them and I just don't completely buy that. I think morale comes in to play big time here. The players/team, I don't think trust Ryan Tannehill anymore. It's also the reason why we see things in the media like "Tannehill has complete control of this offense" and "Tannehill looks sharper than ever" in those offseason/preseason hyped up articles.

Tannehill as a leader has always been in doubt, therefore people grasp desperately at any semblance of leadership that he shows and they run with it. Thing is, NOBODY that plays for this team, and nobody that follows this team is saying "hey....we got Tannehill on our team, we can beat anyone, bring it"! It's never a surprise to me when I see the Chargers right in a game late in the four quarter against a premier team in the league despite the fact that they aren't. They have Phillip Rivers, and it's on any given Sunday with that guy leading your team.

Going back to Brady and Rodgers or even a Philip Rivers for that matter, I think the difference between these guys and a Ryan Tannehill is that they hold their players accountable. They command and earn their respect from the players around them. Their greatness and the way they carry themselves elevates the players around them. If i'm blocking for Aaron Rodgers you better believe that I am going to die protecting him because I know that he can make a play if I give him time to do it. I also know that if I don't protect him and I give up a sack or worse....cause him to get injured, our season, and possibly even my career may very much be in doubt.

I just think emotion/mentality in football is such a big determining factor in the sport that gets consistently overlooked because people are either caught up in the big named players (Ross signing THE BIGGEST NAME IN FREE AGENCY EVERY YEAR), or the simple measurable of each player. I just don't think it is that simple due to that emotion that is involved in this sport. I mean...It's very much like being in a fight. Without sounding idiotic think of it like this...School back in the day. I always felt much more confident when I had my group of friends with me throughout the day, especially when the biggest, baddest dude of the bunch was on my side. I think the same logic applies to football at times. My point being that this team is tailor made to be solely reliant on the play of the quarterback. He is supposed to be the face of the franchise, he is supposed to be the guy that makes every one else better around him (including the defense). I include the defense because honestly, if the offense is doing their job the defense plays with a little more effort. When the defense does it's job (like in the Cincy game) and Tannehill leads the offense to a three and out or even worse....an interception/turnover, I think it takes the faith right out of the defense and destroys any confidence they may have built up. Therefore....the play of the Quarterback does have an effect on the defense in my opinion.

Tannehill has all the makings of a great Quarterback, he has size, arm strength, athleticism, and he's a tough bastard through and through. It's the mental side that shackles him and keeps him prisoner from achieving greatness, and at this point he's completely lost this team and is playing scared. As a fan of this team I certainly hope he can turn it around, pray that this is just a bad stretch, blame it on the O Line, use the excuse of learning a new offense yet again...I don't know, I just think he is what he is at this point. A mediocre Quarterback who can make some great throws when he has a clean pocket and time to throw.

As mentioned before Quarterbacks have quite a long shelf life and it wouldn't surprise me to see Tannehill go elsewhere and have success the same way Sam Bradford has done in Minnesota. I mean, the Vikings have a complete team built around him with great leadership and coaching right now. The team is playing with great confidence and winning games quite handily every week. It's no surprise to me that Bradford has stepped in and played well, it's a great environment for him to be in, and Bradford...Like Tannehill has always been able to make plays (and make any throw necessary) when he's not running for his life. With that said, the team is still playing with a very low morale and until that changes we can expect struggle so I guess embrace it.

leadership has always been a weakness of his, and I've talked about it a lot besides the other stuff..bottom line, personality matters, if you don't have the ability in your personality to lift your teammates spirits and keep them in check, then your doomed for failure at the position..

invidinvidSupporter
Oct 11, 2016, 09:46 PM

"Man-U wrote:

People who say Tannehill got "Carr'd" believe that Tannehill actually is good/great and it's still someone else's fault. That is an illusion.

I've said that, it's because we'll truly never know.