Would u Take Vontae back?

47 replies

DOdolfan40Forum VeteranOP
Dec 27, 2013, 08:31 PM

He is a Free Agent after the season..just for insurance if we can not sign grimes to a good deal for both sides.

TooGoodForDezTooGoodForDezNew Member
Dec 27, 2013, 08:33 PM

no, i would not

banned

LandShark13LandShark13New Member
Dec 27, 2013, 08:36 PM

Resign Grimey.

/endthread

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Dec 27, 2013, 08:40 PM

No? I'm not paying a bunch of money for the same old Vontae Davis on the basis of the Colts game.

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2013, 08:42 PM

I would welcome him back but he wouldn't want to come back. Besides i'll take Grimes 7 days a week over Vontae Davis...We better re-up with him.

xphinfanxxphinfanxForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2013, 09:01 PM

We should ask his grandma.

That's why they play the games!:yes:

smahtazsmahtazForum Veteran
Dec 27, 2013, 09:05 PM

I've always liked Vontae. I just don't think he is smart enough to play in this defense.



It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Dec 27, 2013, 09:07 PM

I'd take him back as a second corner at a reasonable salary. I doubt that will happen though. Sean Smith - never.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Dec 27, 2013, 09:14 PM

I never really wanted him gone but Id rather have Grimes. If youre giving me Grimes at say 7M and Vontae at 5M its not a debate (grimes all day). If youre telling me Grimes wants 10 and Vonate at 5 or 6M then maybe ill take another chance on Vonate's potential.

KB21KB21Supporter
Dec 27, 2013, 11:37 PM

This would actually be an interesting debate.

If you look at Vontae's grades during his career, using PFF's grading system:

2009 -- +5.7
2010 -- +10.7
2011 -- +2.2
2012 -- -0.8
2013 -- +15.4

Vontae was an ascending player after his first two years in the league. Then in year 3, he really dropped off. In his 4th year, he was traded after showing up to camp out of shape, and that lead to an injury plagued 4th season that turned out to be his worst. This year, he's the 3rd highest rated corner in football according to PFF's grading system. My personal opinion is that he is playing the way I felt he would play in Miami as he was ascending early in his career.

He's the debating point.

Brent Grimes is 30. Vontae Davis is 25. Who would you rather give a 5 year contract to?

PhinFan1968PhinFan1968Supporter
Dec 27, 2013, 11:40 PM

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Always dug the guy.

Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”

:rimshot:

TooGoodForDezTooGoodForDezNew Member
Dec 27, 2013, 11:49 PM

Vontae sucks as a corner.

banned

finfansince72finfansince72Supporter
Dec 27, 2013, 11:53 PM

I wouldn't mind having him back at all, he has played well this year. He's one of the higher rated corners in the league. He does get beat at times so he's not worth a ton of money but if he was a reasonably priced free agent theres no reason to be against signing him. He's not great so a big contract is absurd but depending on the money, why not? I don't see the reason to hate the guy.
I'd rather have Grimes on a short term deal which is how I think things will play out though.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Dec 28, 2013, 12:08 AM

"KB21 wrote:

This would actually be an interesting debate.

If you look at Vontae's grades during his career, using PFF's grading system:

2009 -- +5.7
2010 -- +10.7
2011 -- +2.2
2012 -- -0.8
2013 -- +15.4

Vontae was an ascending player after his first two years in the league. Then in year 3, he really dropped off. In his 4th year, he was traded after showing up to camp out of shape, and that lead to an injury plagued 4th season that turned out to be his worst. This year, he's the 3rd highest rated corner in football according to PFF's grading system. My personal opinion is that he is playing the way I felt he would play in Miami as he was ascending early in his career.

He's the debating point.

Brent Grimes is 30. Vontae Davis is 25. Who would you rather give a 5 year contract to?

Long term you go Vontae if Grimes money is outrageous. If theyre both outrageously priced then Grimes is probably safer and more consistent. Grimes might be on his last payday though so he might be looking to max out

"TooGoodForDez wrote:

Vontae sucks as a corner.

Facts? Or just trolling? Because statistically almost nothing backs that up.

TooGoodForDezTooGoodForDezNew Member
Dec 28, 2013, 12:11 AM

"Boik14 wrote:

Facts? Or just trolling? Because statistically almost nothing backs that up.

Eye test

banned

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Dec 28, 2013, 01:01 AM

"TooGoodForDez wrote:

Eye test

So....trolling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark KentClark KentForum Veteran
Dec 28, 2013, 01:03 AM

"KB21 wrote:

This would actually be an interesting debate.

If you look at Vontae's grades during his career, using PFF's grading system:

2009 -- +5.7
2010 -- +10.7
2011 -- +2.2
2012 -- -0.8
2013 -- +15.4

Vontae was an ascending player after his first two years in the league. Then in year 3, he really dropped off. In his 4th year, he was traded after showing up to camp out of shape, and that lead to an injury plagued 4th season that turned out to be his worst. This year, he's the 3rd highest rated corner in football according to PFF's grading system. My personal opinion is that he is playing the way I felt he would play in Miami as he was ascending early in his career.

He's the debating point.

Brent Grimes is 30. Vontae Davis is 25. Who would you rather give a 5 year contract to?

Which is why he never should of been traded. Even if his 3rd year wasn't spectacular, he was still our best corner and still lead the team in turnovers, at a very young age. I still don't understand why the team thought it was a good idea to give up on a 24 year old 1st round pick, with great upside. I remember this board arguing Richard Marshall was the better player too lol. That was cute then and now. Dolphins/Ireland made a mistake getting rid of him.

As far as signing a CB goes, I imagine Sam Shields is in the discussion, assuming he doesn't get the franchise tag. Obviously a very good cb and has ties to Philbin.

And I don't know how this discussion has turned into Grimes V. Davis when we could of had both... VD played RCB in college and had played that side sporadically with us. I think he's playing there now. So we still could of let SS24 go, picked up Grimes, and paired the two together, for a very strong CB tandem. The best since Madison and Surtain, certainly...

Dec 28, 2013, 01:06 AM

Yeah, this is a tough one. I still think Vontae is a good corner and he's younger, but Grimes has been better and he's smarter.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Dec 28, 2013, 01:08 AM

I would take him back. Would rather have Grimes over him though if that is the choice. It would help the outside run defense.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dec 28, 2013, 01:08 AM

Brent's wife or Vontae's grandma? Who you taking?

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Dec 28, 2013, 01:22 AM

No, and suspect he winds up in SF anyway

VD is not a serious professional football player, going all Deej there but that is my take on him.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Dec 28, 2013, 01:33 AM

No, he's an ill-fit for the system and immature. He may grow out of the immaturity, but he'll probably always be a poor fit schematically.

Dec 28, 2013, 01:35 AM

nope. what we need to do is get someone to coach up the 2 cbs we just drafted.

PHINS WOLVERINES ROCKETS


DON'T MESS WITH US!

Coral ReeferCoral ReeferNew Member
Dec 28, 2013, 02:12 AM

"dolfan40 wrote:

He is a Free Agent after the season..just for insurance if we can not sign grimes to a good deal for both sides.

Only if we bring in Grandma to coach him.

RIP Jetssuck

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Dec 28, 2013, 02:37 AM

I loved my cute lil VD...I didn't know he was such an ungrateful professional though..

Another player that this coaching staff couldn't transform it seems, yet the player comes back to be very productive..

Hmmm.Dansby, Vontae, Marshall..

This is one thread I don't think you can turn into a bash the GM thread..

He replaced a good young corner with bad habits, with a superior player and pro in Grimes..

Do we not think that a head coach has the power to inspire his players to change their ways?