Phins Sign Tennessee LB David Long

23 replies

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum VeteranOP
Mar 13, 2023, 07:09 PM

Got him kind of cheap, betting on upside after a couple of injury-riddled seasons.
Dolphins signing former Titans LB David Long to two-year, $11M contract
Published: Mar 13, 2023 at 06:54 PM
Bobby Kownack
Digital Content Producer

The Dolphins are beefing up their linebacking corps.

Miami is signing ex-Titans LB David Long to a two-year, $11 million contract, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday, per a source.

Long, a 2019 sixth-round selection, has paved a path as a legitimate defensive playmaker in four NFL seasons.

Although injuries have caused him to miss time in each of the last two years, Long emerged as a starter in Tennessee in 2021 after developing for his first two campaigns.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 13, 2023, 07:10 PM
ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Mar 13, 2023, 07:11 PM

Love this signing. Being a TN resident, I've seen my fair share of Titan games. That doesn't make me an expert on David Long by any means, but he does always seem to be making plays on the field for them. Here's another link.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2023/3/13/23638700/miami-dolphins-free-agents-2023-signing-david-long-linebacker-legal-tampering

JJ_79JJ_79Forum Veteran
Mar 13, 2023, 07:12 PM

You beat me to it. :)

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Mar 13, 2023, 07:16 PM

Coverage linebacker. Dolphins are ready to defend the pass.

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Mar 13, 2023, 07:46 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

Coverage linebacker. Dolphins are ready to defend the pass.

I love this song.

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Mar 13, 2023, 07:52 PM

Wow. I like Long.
(that’s what she said).

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Mar 13, 2023, 08:18 PM

Love the pickup here, the 3YPC guys were on him weeks ago as being a good fit and great skillset. Hopefully he can stay on the field.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Mar 14, 2023, 09:30 AM

"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

Love this signing. Being a TN resident, I've seen my fair share of Titan games. That doesn't make me an expert on David Long by any means, but he does always seem to be making plays on the field for them. Here's another link.
https://www.thephinsider.com/2023/3/13/23638700/miami-dolphins-free-agents-2023-signing-david-long-linebacker-legal-tampering

TN is a very nice state to live in.

Lord help us.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Mar 14, 2023, 09:31 AM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Love the pickup here, the 3YPC guys were on him weeks ago as being a good fit and great skillset. Hopefully he can stay on the field.

yes, tired of injuries.

Lord help us.

ExplosionsInDaSkyExplosionsInDaSkyForum Veteran
Mar 14, 2023, 11:01 AM

"dolphin25 wrote:

TN is a very nice state to live in.

It depends on where you're living. I'm in the Smokies.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Mar 14, 2023, 11:40 AM

If he returns to his previous self this is a great pick up on the cheap at a position we were totally in need of.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Mar 14, 2023, 12:39 PM

"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

It depends on where you're living. I'm in the Smokies.

I've not seen too many bad spots in TN. Have friends and family in McMinnville, Chattanooga, Nashville, Crossville, Goodletsville. I'd probably avoid Knoxville with the traffic :)

Lord help us.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 14, 2023, 12:44 PM

"ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

It depends on where you're living. I'm in the Smokies.

...and it also depends on what you're wearing.

DestroyerDestroyerForum Veteran
Mar 14, 2023, 03:33 PM

If you don't mind being around a bunch of racists and backwoods crazy baptist/religious people TN is great. My whole family is from TN and I would never live there again. The only place I have been that I haven't encountered this is Knoxville but it probably exists there too.

Back to the signing. Great player and a good contract for the Dolphins.

The Dolphins are the softest team in the NFL. Tua hater starting 12/11/22.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 14, 2023, 08:42 PM
OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 15, 2023, 02:49 PM
DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Mar 16, 2023, 04:44 PM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

Coverage linebacker. Dolphins are ready to defend the pass.

Really going to need it now with Allen and rodgers in the East!!

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Mar 20, 2023, 11:36 AM

"TheHighExhaulted wrote:

Coverage linebacker. Dolphins are ready to defend the pass.

He’s is not a coverage linebacker, he’s excellent with his instincts and diagnosis against the run, plays behind the LOS from what I’ve seen about as good as anyone in the league..very aggressive player against the run..

Great thing about him he can easily change direction and backpedal to play pass.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 23, 2023, 06:15 PM

Stay classy, Mike Vrabel.

Dolphins LB David Long: Mike Vrabel's durability comments were 'a surprise to me'
Published: Mar 23, 2023 at 08:42 AM
Kevin Patra
Around the NFL Writer

The Tennessee Titans' late-season collapse, which cost them a chance at a third consecutive division title, came with a host of players nursing injuries.

After the disappointing campaign ended, Titans coach Mike Vrabel took a shot at two players, specifically, cornerback Kristian Fulton and linebacker David Long, for missing time due to injuries. Apparently, the coach believed they were injuries that could have been avoided.

"We look at soft-tissue injuries. We look at those soft-tissue injuries of repeat offenders," Vrabel said in early January. "It doesn't take too hard to look and see, you know, Kristian Fulton and David Long, they're repeat offenders of soft-tissue injuries. They have to figure out a way to train and act like -- this game's played at a high speed. Kevin Byard hasn't pulled a hamstring since we've been here. There's a durability factor to playing professional football. And we should not overlook. That's real. There's guys that are durable and guys that aren't."

The label that Long wasn't durable enough followed the linebacker into free agency. It's the main reason he signed a two-year, $11 million deal with the Miami Dolphins. Sans the injury questions, Long is worth way more than that deal suggests.

During his introductory news conference in South Beach, Long said he was surprised by Vrabel's comments but not letting them bother him in Miami.

"If you watch film since my rookie year to the end of this year, every play, I lay it out on the line," Long said Wednesday. "So that was a surprise to me. I feel like it kind of created a narrative a little bit as far as how I take care of my body. If you ask anybody, I'm a first one in and last guy out type of guy. So I know he knows that as well. It really just put a bigger chip (on my shoulder) because I know what type of player I am. That wasn't discussed to me, as well. So it was a lot. I took it with a grain of salt. I'm not really much a media person like 'why did you single me out or whatever.' I'm going to roll with it and I'm just going to get back to work."

When on the field, Long is a lightning bolt of action. His ability to shoot gaps and make tackles fits brilliantly in Vic Fangio's scheme in Miami. His anticipation against the run is uncanny, and the 26-year-old always seems to be in the frame when he's on the field.

But Vrabel isn't wrong that Long's biggest issue has been staying healthy. The linebacker has never played a full-season slate in four years in the NFL. In the past two seasons since becoming a starter, he's missed 12 contests. It's little coincidence that the Titans lost all five games Long missed down the stretch of the season as he and other Tennessee players grappled with injuries.

As is often regurgitated among NFL coaches and players, one of the best abilities is availability. Long has the talent to be a stud in Miami. But first, he needs to stay on the field. If he does that, the Dolphins got a steal in free agency.

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-lb-david-long-mike-vrabel-durability-comments-surprise-to-me

FIFishheadForum Veteran
Mar 23, 2023, 06:58 PM

Maybe it should have been said in private, but I’m not sure why he’d be surprised by comments about his durability when he hasn’t played a full season yet in his career.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Mar 23, 2023, 08:43 PM

"Fishhead wrote:

Maybe it should have been said in private, but I’m not sure why he’d be surprised by comments about his durability when he hasn’t played a full season yet in his career.

I don't think he was as concerned about the injury being brought up as he was about Vrabel basically blaming him for it. Injuries happen but suggesting that players' prep is the reason why some get hurt and others don't was a punk move by the coach. Especially one who was himself a player.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Mar 24, 2023, 09:23 AM

"Fishhead wrote:

Maybe it should have been said in private, but I’m not sure why he’d be surprised by comments about his durability when he hasn’t played a full season yet in his career.

was thinking same thing. playing hard while you are in the game is different from sitting out and not playing because you are injured.

Lord help us.

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Mar 31, 2023, 10:30 AM

Man this dude is gonna be an animal in the middle of this defense with the protection that’s around him..