Gibson v Landry
43 replies
Someone might have started this thread already. If so, mods act accordingly.
Watching the Bears game I was like, where's Brandon Gibson!?!?!?! Dion Sims was doing more damage. Didn't realize he was inactive.
http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-81742062/
Cept for some fumbles Jarvis Landry has been as advertised.
Are we all cool with Brandon Gibson being a healthy scratch though? Why not see if he can be traded?
I remember last year, the biggest reason IMHO, the Dolphins offence was horawful down the stretch was a dearth of WR not named Mike Wallace that were performing. Once Hartline got injured during the Jets game their fate appeared sealed.
Heh...laundry
Dudes def the oddman out tho. With clay returning to form this week there just isn't enough balls to go around for gibson. Mathews too.
I'd definitely take laundry, especially if it was ironed and starched properly.
2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)
22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU
Yeah i'm wondering what we do with Gibson. I'm good with Landry taking his spot. Sometimes i wonder if Gibson (or Matthews for that matter) would be a better option than Hartline at #2.
The thing is though, if (or more likely when) a receiver goes down, it will be nice to have Gibson instead of Marlon Moore or someone like that. But if we could get a higher draft pick say 4th round he may be worth trading.
IMO it's simple. Keep Gibson trade hartline. At least we'd get something for him plus ridding ourselves of his contract.
1/4/16 - Chris Grier : "The talk of dysfunction within the organization is over."
Today - Me & every other Dolfan : "Lies!!!"
WRs are always getting injured. Our unit has been lucky health-wise. I like our depth. Keep em all.
Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin
We're only dressing four and he's not beating out Matthews apparently

"djphinfan wrote:
We're only dressing four and he's not beating out Matthews apparently
I believe they had D Williams dressed in Chicago ahead of Gibson. That doesn't make much sense to me. It's in Barry Jackson's article: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2014/10/a-look-at-how-dolphins-are-accentuating-tannehills-strength-dolphins-um-defense-heat-notes.html
"ElNino wrote:
Yeah i'm wondering what we do with Gibson. I'm good with Landry taking his spot. Sometimes i wonder if Gibson (or Matthews for that matter) would be a better option than Hartline at #2.
The thing is though, if (or more likely when) a receiver goes down, it will be nice to have Gibson instead of Marlon Moore or someone like that. But if we could get a higher draft pick say 4th round he may be worth trading.
I've definitely wondered that lately - if Matthews or Gibson do more for our offense on the field "every down" vs Hartline. I like the guy, I really do - but I think his talents excel just as well in the slot trotting out on 2nd and 3rd down situations in the slot and getting someone a bit more dynamic out there full time. I'm left wondering if theres something really defecient in these guys game, or if it comes down to cost, or if it comes down to long time vet presence/respect for the team and tenure. If the latter two, I really dont agree with it.
At the start of the season, I expected at a least a rotation of Hartline/Gibson (maybe even Matthews) while keeping Wallace on the field, and primarily using Landry in the slot / rotating with Gibson (or matthews) at times.
Its just kind of odd...Hartline can be mr consistent for sure - but he gives you very little in the way of matchup advantages. Maybe you dont gain a ton with the other guys, but its SOMETHING. All the same, the longer things go on the less it makes sense to me. Maybe I'm just not seeing the forest through the trees.
Agree on the depth points.
I saw Landry got promoted to starting WR... weird... the coaches must be aware of his below-average 3-cone drill time, and how he will never be able to get separation from NFL corners. :shifty:
The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese
Gibson had a reported injury a week ago in practice... as for his current status, he is behind Landry.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5291/brandon-gibson
Brandon Gibson confirmed he's fallen behind Jarvis Landry on the depth chart.
"It was a decision that was made and there's nothing I can do," Gibson said. Asked if there was anything he could do to leap back ahead of Landry, Gibson replied, "Nothing probably." With a $4.5 million cap hit in 2015, Gibson's days with the Dolphins are numbered. Gibson says he hasn't requested a trade. Oct 22 - 8:42 AM
I could see Hartline being gone next year. RT is past the point of needing that security blanket. I'd like to see Matthews outside with Landry being the slot and Gibson and Williams being the backups at all three positions.

Well, injuries happen and Gibson just needs to be ready as does Matthews. Everyone will get their chance to play. As of right now I can't disagree with Landry playing over both of them. He's earned it. As for Hartline, I don't think he's a viable trade option, but I could see him demoted at some point. He's a proven safety valve for Tannehill and despite him being silent this season, it would not be a good idea to get rid of him, or any of them for that matter. We have depth at the position for the first time since i've watched this team. Why get rid of it?
"GARDENHEAD wrote:
WRs are always getting injured. Our unit has been lucky health-wise. I like our depth. Keep em all.
Seconded. Keep the depth, and massage egos during the week.
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"Larry Little wrote:
I saw Landry got promoted to starting WR... weird... the coaches must be aware of his below-average 3-cone drill time, and how he will never be able to get separation from NFL corners. :shifty:
Yet he still continues to make plays. I'd take a slow guy who leads the league in kickoff return yardage over a fast guy who dances any day, and evidentally this logic spills over to WR too. Even though he's not a speed-burner, Landry runs precise routes and makes the most of it after the catch.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
Yet he still continues to make plays. I'd take a slow guy who leads the league in kickoff return yardage over a fast guy who dances any day, and evidentally this logic spills over to WR too. Even though he's not a speed-burner, Landry runs precise routes and makes the most of it after the catch.
Not to mention he's tough, works his butt off, has tremendous heart, amazing hands, and is a leader on the field. The guy is just a great football player, and I'm really enjoying seeing him grow. I expect him to become a great WR in the NFL.
The thing you have to remember about critics is that they can't do it themselves. - John Cleese
"Aqua4Ever04 wrote:
I loved Landry when we drafted him and love him even more now seeing him play. He's tough with the ball in his hands, those early season drops seem to have gone by the way side, he's a willing, physical blocker, he's a great compliment to Mike Wallace.
I think the writing is one the wall for Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson. Next year it'll be Wallace-Landry-New Guy.
And 4th round draft pick.
That's why they play the games!:yes:
"Larry Little wrote:
I saw Landry got promoted to starting WR... weird... the coaches must be aware of his below-average 3-cone drill time, and how he will never be able to get separation from NFL corners. :shifty:
Larry taking a little shot there..
He has this ability to turn upfield very quickly, kinda like what Sammy Watkins does, that makes it explosive without having the tangible speed.

"djphinfan wrote:
Larry taking a little shot there..
He has this ability to turn upfield very quickly, kinda like what Sammy Watkins does, that makes it explosive without having the tangible speed.
The option screen to Landry against the bears was a perfect example of what he does that we haven't had before. He caught it, and if he goes directly up field, its a 3 yd gain. Instead he reads his block, goes left and picks up 9. Its small but huge...
Its what hartline doesnt do.
It's not by a ton but Hartline is the tallest WR we have. That with the fact that he's reliable in bring the ball down even if there are few YAC means I don't see that we just dump him.
Have we not yet learned to stop turning on proven veterans just because of the latest new shiny toy? There's great value in proven reliability and performance. Never ditch the older horse just because the new, younger stud looks like a stallion. Make sure he proves it first.
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"Stitches wrote:
I'd definitely take laundry, especially if it was ironed and starched properly.
Boom. That guy got Stitched.
"Fin D wrote:
Boom. That guy got Stitched.
How does he do it?
Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.
"lmeister3 wrote:
How does he do it?
He uses a computer hooked up to the internet.
Boom. You got Stitched!